Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Michael Douglas Joins "Ant-Man" as Hank Pym; Rudd Will Play Scott Lang

The latest "Ant-Man" news sees Michael Douglas joining the cast as Hank Pym, along with the revelation Paul Rudd will play Scott Lang.

Full article here.

Good symmetry here - Ant-man first appeared in 1962, and Michael Douglas was born in 1862. I don't want to see an 80yr old Jan running around in a Wasp costume, so either they totally change her origin and relationship to Hank, or there won't be a Wasp in the Marvel Movie U. Still looking forward to this movie, but really disappointed that we're not getting a Hank Pym in his prime with Jan.

I've got seriously mixed feelings about this. Michael is no doubt a great actor, but Hank Pym is a character who ties the Marvel Universe all together with stuff like Avengers Academy and Young Avengers which can possibly bleed into TV shows, and of course Pym would be a decent alternative to Reed in an MCU Illuminati. Having a Hank Pym of this age is clearly going to affect that, and almost certainly the Janet Van Dyne elements. Are we going to have an older Jan, or are they honestly thinking of pairing Scott and Jan just because he's Ant Man and Ant Man and Wasp have to be an item? I gather Cassie is pretty much confirmed in a supporting role so we're still getting the single father aspects, but I'm not sure I love the idea of either pairing off Jan with the wrong guy or aging her up, which effectively kills any chance of her being in Avengers.
    The rule in comics seems to be that unless you're gay, interacial or had the sense to get married in the 60's and have kids before it became out of vogue to marry and grow up, it's not gonna last.

Truth will set you free.. TheTruestSoldja's Avatar

I personally feel like this was a missed opportunity. Hank Pym may not be the most popular Ant-Man ever but his history impacts the Marvel Universe at large. Did no one there read "Age of Ultron"? I don't want them ignoring Pym for Lang because he is more assessable. How are they going to bring in Wasp? As his daughter? As Lang's love interest?

I was ok with them changing Ultron's origin even though it would effect Pym's relationship with Ultron, Vision, and the rest of the AI robots in the MU. I feel like casting a great but ancient Micheal Douglas just killed huge parts of the storytelling potential for the character. I'm not a huge Ant-Man fan but I hope this movie doesn't negatively effect MU at large with its design choices too much, it's already erasing Pym's superhero career for Lang and all the history that entails along with it.

I wonder if they'll feature the scene where Hank gets throat cancer:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	your-turn-janet.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	124608

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I've got seriously mixed feelings about this. Michael is no doubt a great actor, but Hank Pym is a character who ties the Marvel Universe all together with stuff like Avengers Academy and Young Avengers which can possibly bleed into TV shows, and of course Pym would be a decent alternative to Reed in an MCU Illuminati. Having a Hank Pym of this age is clearly going to affect that, and almost certainly the Janet Van Dyne elements. Are we going to have an older Jan, or are they honestly thinking of pairing Scott and Jan just because he's Ant Man and Ant Man and Wasp have to be an item? I gather Cassie is pretty much confirmed in a supporting role so we're still getting the single father aspects, but I'm not sure I love the idea of either pairing off Jan with the wrong guy or aging her up, which effectively kills any chance of her being in Avengers.
    Has there been any statements indicating that there will be a Wasp in this film? In fact, is there any reason to believe that Hank Pym will be portrayed as the first Ant Man, as opposed to the guy who invents Pym particles and the Ant Man helmet?

Sandy Hausler

I'm fine with this. In recent years Hank Pym's role has been based more on him being a scientist rather than a superhero, and his significance is based on his scientific endeavors rather than anything he did as a superhero.

Nope, don't like it. I don't even know how much of Hank's characters and history there is left to be salvaged with all of the differences here, but I certainly don't see too much of a future. Michael Douglas won't be fighting skrulls or anything like that anytime soon...like ever. Should've got Alan Turdyk.

You left out a third option of linking Pym to a younger woman. It would allow for Janet to work as wasp and mirror Douglas's real life.

Quote Originally Posted by jloder24 View Post
    Good symmetry here - Ant-man first appeared in 1962, and Michael Douglas was born in 1862. I don't want to see an 80yr old Jan running around in a Wasp costume, so either they totally change her origin and relationship to Hank, or there won't be a Wasp in the Marvel Movie U. Still looking forward to this movie, but really disappointed that we're not getting a Hank Pym in his prime with Jan.
    A) Douglas isn't that old and Pym is not that young anyway.

B) Scott Lang will be the Ant-Man for the film, so why does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Has there been any statements indicating that there will be a Wasp in this film? In fact, is there any reason to believe that Hank Pym will be portrayed as the first Ant Man, as opposed to the guy who invents Pym particles and the Ant Man helmet?

Sandy Hausler
    As far as I gather from hints about the script Wright has dropped over the years, Pym is set up as having used to be Ant Man when he was younger in the 60's/70's, so it is supposed to be a legacy sort of thing. I believe there was talk about them casting a Jan but it wasn't clear at the time what ae she was, but there was talk about them looking for a younger teen actress which fit the description of Cassie Lang (who as in the comics provides motivation for Lang stealing the tech).

I think Cassie's casting is nearly as important as Pym might have been - she after all can be the lynchpin to a possible Young Avengers or Avengers Academy TV show where she becomes Stature.
    The rule in comics seems to be that unless you're gay, interacial or had the sense to get married in the 60's and have kids before it became out of vogue to marry and grow up, it's not gonna last.

Quote Originally Posted by roguematt7 View Post
    I wonder if they'll feature the scene where Hank gets throat cancer:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	your-turn-janet.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	124608
    I imagine the Macrophiles would be happy if that happened (or at least was hinted at). ;)

Quote Originally Posted by jloder24 View Post
    I feel the exact same way. No offense to Michael Douglas, who is a great actor, but I was hoping to see Hank Pym actually be Ant-Man.
    Pull List: Action Comics, Aquaman, Batman, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, GL: New Guardians, Hawkeye, Moon Knight, Red Lanterns, Saga, Silver Surfer, Swamp Thing, The Wake, Wonder Woman

Or you, just don't have her date either.

Jan is her own hero, she doesn't have to be defined by being in a relationship with Pym. Hell, they are not a couple these days anyway. Besides, we just found out for sure that Scott Lang is the Ant-man for the film.

Speaking of which, you need to remember that the movies are a different continuity. Obviously thing will be different and it is unlikely that it would lead to Avengers Academy anyway.

I really dig the idea of Michael Douglas as Hank Pym.He add alot of star power and credibility to the film,not taking anything away from Paul Rudd but he currently doesn't have the star power or serious acting cred to carry this film alone.As far as Douglas age closing in on 70 and how that affect the MU and now the film portion of that I have no issues.With the Ultron already being taking away from Pym's history in terms of the movie version which is a huge part of the character and its history theirs really no point not to make even more changes.As some rumors have stated just make Hank Pym the original Ant-Man still but put his super hero history back in the 70's-80's and have him be long sense retired.As far as the Wasp role goes and what they should due you could go about it a few ways.

First is just have have her and Scott Lang be a couple,second would be to for her and Hank Pym to be a couple but like Douglas's real life have him be married/dating a much younger woman or lastly just say that Wasp had to take some type of infinity forumla that has either deaged her or kept her young.

Still ways that you can work around Michael Douglas and his age.