Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default After Star Wars, Dark Horse Declares The "Year of the Horse"

In the wake of losing the Star Wars comics license, Dark Horse Publisher Mike Richardson & E-i-C Scott Allie declare 2014 the "Year of the Horse" as they expand and expound on Hellboy, Buffy, superheroes and more.

Full article here.

Legitimately surprised at Star Wars being only 6% of Dark Horse bottom line. Curious if licensing fees were a big factor in that.

I wonder who has the rights to Space: 1999 these days?

Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Looking forward to the Aliens/Predator stuff and I wonder if Planet of the Apes is part of the Fox relaunch as well.
    New Avengers*Unity* Shadowman* RAI* TRANSFORMERS* MILES MORALES

Not Really interested in the super hero line except for Ghost "for now." Aliens/Predator stuff I'm interested in along with Serenity, Tomb Raider and a few others

That was an excellent, informative interview. Whether its creator-owned comics, licensed properties, bookshelf collections of American, manga or European comics, or its own superhero characters, Dark Horse has always provided quality comics and been an innovator in the comics industry. As a fan of Dark Horse Comics, for me, every year is the “Year of the Horse”, and I’m excited about 2014.

Great interview, anyone know what the two movies are that start shooting this year? and i can't wait to find out what the new mignola book is and who's drawing it. long live darkhorse

Good luck Dark Horse!
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Great to see them standing firm after the SW controversy, DH is definitely a quality stamp among the comics industry.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I wonder who has the rights to Space: 1999 these days?
    Blam! Ventures / Archaia picked it up and they've put out two graphic novels already
    Fantastic stuff, especially if you're a fan of the show

Give them a 'like' if you want to see more published
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/SPACE...h/176155636884

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51BnDuHtHXL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	124481Click image for larger version. 

Name:	945783_10151800068221885_1767714251_n.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	124482
    Last edited by St August; 01-10-2014 at 04:26 PM.

Got Tickets for SDCC '15! Power Torch's Avatar

I believe they will do fine with out it, they have a bunch of other stuff to keep them alive. My brother thinks this is a end to Dark Horse, I don't think so at all.
    "I'm no KILLER, I merely prevent greedy individuals from despoiling the planet."
    -Poison Ivy;BoP#3
    -Pulls:Dark Horse: Ghost, X, Captain Midnight, Blackout. (Check profile for DC).

Many years ago when I stopped reading the Star Wars comics, I still found that most of my pull list was published by Dark Horse. And most of those books are still around. They always struck me as a publisher who was very careful not to put all their eggs in one basket. Even if that basket was a license to print money like Star Wars.

I don't like the fact that so many Dark Horse books have crept up in price to 3.50 or 3.99. I'm not going to take a chance on an unknown property at that price unless it blows me away in store. Resident Alien, for example, was pretty damn cool. But most of their books I just pass on easily. :( And with Star Wars going, I'll only have the Buffy books left on my pull list.

I see no reason why Dark Horse couldn't have been publishing the same books that Image and IDW now put out. Their big initiative is new superhero books with characters that no one has cared about for decades. When I look through their solicits, little excites me and they seem to be relying on the same franchises they've had going back to the 90s.

Maybe they took their eye off the ball and Mike Richardson forgot about the publishing bread and butter while he went chasing Hollywood deals. In any case once Star Wars Legacy and the new Matt Kindt Star Wars series wrap up, my DH purchases will be restricted to the new Lone Wolf & Cub.
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy

I can't imagine why Dark Horse would want to publish what IDW is publishing. Nothing there worth reading that isn't a reprint
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress