Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Marvel's "Origin II" Snikts to the Top of December's Sales Charts, "Harley Quinn" Rem

Marvel rides "Origin II" #1 to the top sales position overall in December, but "Harley Quinn" helps DC dominate the Top Ten.

Full article here.

Origin II # 1 may have been Marvels #1 book this month but I'd bet retailers would disagree. I ordered the book based on how popular the first series was, then reduced the order a bit because of how horrible I thought the first series actually was, and I still have 2/3 of issue #1 sitting on the shelf.

It may have sold well to retailers but I'm not seeing that translate into customer sales.

Ron C.

Great for Origin II ! I'm just a bit sad that greats books like Velvet or ZERO can't make the top 5 (and probably won't ever) but are totally worth it . And Wow , I'm surprised to see Deadpool trades selling so well .
    Last edited by TheLightZ; 01-10-2014 at 08:50 AM.

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Go Superior Spider-man!

My favorite book at the moment.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Origin II #1 makes sense.

Why did retailers buy so many Avengers comics? Even if it was a "#1", it still wasn't going to sell that many more than previous issues. There must have been an incentive.

Quote Originally Posted by RonCat View Post
    Origin II # 1 may have been Marvels #1 book this month but I'd bet retailers would disagree. I ordered the book based on how popular the first series was, then reduced the order a bit because of how horrible I thought the first series actually was, and I still have 2/3 of issue #1 sitting on the shelf.

It may have sold well to retailers but I'm not seeing that translate into customer sales.

Ron C.
    My LCS had the same experience. I didn't manage to get to the shop until a little over a week after Origin II came out and there were two fat stacks of the book still on the rack (my shop is generally really good with ordering - a week after a book comes out and there will generally be only 0-3 issues left). It was such a surprising overestimation for them that I wondered if there was some returnability deal or something.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:

WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW

Marvel is so hot right now!
    Marvel, STOP writing for the Trade so I can go back to collecting Monthlies again. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet-Batman View Post
    Origin II #1 makes sense.

Why did retailers buy so many Avengers comics? Even if it was a "#1", it still wasn't going to sell that many more than previous issues. There must have been an incentive.
    When you're dealing with Marvel and DC there's almost always an incentive.

They obviously increase sales (or the publishers wouldn't keep doing them) but I think people tend to overstate that impact except in the isolated cases like Walking Dead 115 where there are a dozen covers.
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com

Avengers 24 had a fuck-ton of variant covers.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

The top two comics were price 4.99 a piece? Yuck.

And I thought the number three comic Batman #26 was probably the worst issue of Batman yet.