Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default PREVIEW: Low, #1

Frequent collaborators Rick Remender (BLACK SCIENCE) and artist Greg Tocchini (Uncanny X-Force, Last Days of American Crime) will bring readers on another high-octane science fiction adventure, this time to the lowest depths of Earth after it has been ravaged by the sun's radiation.
    LOW is set in the distant future, after humanity has relocated to radiation-shielded cities below the sea and the surface of the planet has become a scorched uninhabitable wasteland. A probe has returned with information on a possible alternative planet for humans, but it has landed on the Earth's surface. A few brave representatives from the warring human clans venture out to retrieve it and the hopeful news it bears.

Full article here.

Looks incredibly generic, by Remender standards, just more pulpy sci-fi with a dashing anti-hero. Remender should try focusing on one title and making it interesting and fresh. The post-coitus scene in the preview is just like the one in Black Science #2, which is just like the one from Fear Agent.

I love that art but don't care for Remender's writing. He is the new Mark Millar to me: comes up with good pitches and story ideas, but the execution is weak and dependent on shock value. This also does look kind of reminiscent of Black Science, but I like the art a lot more.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

And now to defend my case when I say these new ideas for a Image Comics are half-baked, here's a half-baked concept executed in a half-baked way by (who I'm sure is) a half-baked writer.

The visuals look great, I particularly like the heavy-inked lines and generally scratchy look that Tocchini provides (have admired his work since Batman and Robin #26 (Vol. 1)

As for the writing, I have no prior knowledge of Remender so I guess I'll wait for some more information / advanced reviews before I decide I'm in or not.
    Current Favourites: Animal Man, Batman, Empire of the Dead. Federal Bureau of Physics, Green Arrow, Rogues Rebellion, Swamp Thing, The Wake

Quote Originally Posted by NatMatt View Post
    And now to defend my case when I say these new ideas for a Image Comics are half-baked, here's a half-baked concept executed in a half-baked way by (who I'm sure is) a half-baked writer.
    You act like Image Comics personally offended you, or killed your dog your something... chill out, man.

I'll make sure to listen to your opinion cause its clear that you have access to an early copy of the first issue, read it without prejudice and can make that assessment accurately and without bias (not)
    Last edited by havok1977; 01-10-2014 at 02:25 PM.
    KingConan|Hellboy|BlackScience|EastOfWest|Fatale|L azarus|Prophet|Saga|Umbral|Velvet|Harbinger|Rai|Unity|XO
    ASW|Batman|GL+C|JL+U|RL|SwampThing|WonderWoman
    _ N U Avengers|Cap|DD|MK|Thor

Man, that's beautiful. Loving the coloring especially.

Looking forward to this. I like Remenders writing and the art looks great.

i, for one, will be fully baked when i indulge in this awesomeness.
    SPACE FOR RENT!

This looks insane. I'm on board.

yeah count me in. This is probably the most exciting one announced, for me.