Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default IMAGE EXPO LIVE: Snyder, Willingham, Gillen and More Discuss Their New Series

Scott Snyder, Bill Willingham, Kieron Gillen, Jamie McKelvie, Kyle Higgins and Chris Burnham discuss their new projects at Image Expo 2014.

Full article here.

Image is just killing it left and right.

This is first I'm hearing of most of it, but for Snyder/Jock and Morrison/Burnham fans, we've got continuing artistic relationships of a very pleasing nature. I love writer/art dynamic duos. And the freedom at Image means we're probably in the clear as far as consistent art without the need for monthly fill-ins. Pure good comics.

Seriously ... Black Mirror and Batman, Inc. reunion teams on pure creator-owned projects makes my day. To say nothing of how they're kind of perfect match-ups, stylistically, between Jock's jagged dynamic sketch look and Snyder's sharp horror, or Burnham's kitchen-sink approach and ability to marry Silver Age bright with modern grit.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Retro315 View Post

This is first I'm hearing of most of it, but for Snyder/Jock and Morrison/Burnham fans, we've got continuing artistic relationships of a very pleasing nature. I love writer/art dynamic duos. And the freedom at Image means we're probably in the clear as far as consistent art without the need for monthly fill-ins. Pure good comics.

Seriously ... Black Mirror and Batman, Inc. reunion teams on pure creator-owned projects makes my day. To say nothing of how they're kind of perfect match-ups, stylistically, between Jock's jagged dynamic sketch look and Snyder's sharp horror, or Burnham's kitchen-sink approach and ability to marry Silver Age bright with modern grit.
    I think that's what really makes Image's creator-owned books top-notch. Big-name writers also do books at, say, Dynamite or Avatar, but they're often matched with a random, unknown artist, with serious detriment (imagine if Gillen's Uber was drawn by one of his JIM collaborators like, say, Doug Braithwaite or Rich Elson. It would be infinitely better.).

Anyway, out of this list:

Snyder/Jock's Wytches
    Morrison/Burnham's Nameless
    Gillen/McKelvie's the Wicked & the Divine
    Fraction/Ward's Ody-C
    Remender/Tocchini's Low (I've been wondering about this book since Remender tweeted that teaser image ages ago)
    Nick Spencer's THREE books

Those are all pretty close to being auto-pulls for me. Bitch Planet seems interesting, but KSD's Pretty Deadly really didn't do anything for me, though this looks like an entirely different sort of book. Williamson's new book is on my radar as well: Ghosted has intrigued me for some time now, even if largely due to Goran Sudzuka's art and those spiffy Sean Phillips covers.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:

WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW

You know what sucks about this? How we have to wait now! It feels like I've been waiting for Deadly Class forever, which was the last of the books announced last year that I was really excited about, and with that two weeks out, now it's just going to be replaced by waiting for... all this.

Quote Originally Posted by Retro315 View Post

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Wytches by Snyder/Jock seems like a must have.

i'll probably check out the 1st issue of Remender/Tocchini's Low as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin King View Post
    imagine if Gillen's Uber was drawn by one of his JIM collaborators like, say, Doug Braithwaite or Rich Elson. It would be infinitely better.
    that's a pretty damn good book as it is, though.