Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Black Widow, #1

Nathan Edmondson and Phil Noto explore Natasha Romanoff's shady past and questionable reputation as she struggles towards atonement in "Black Widow" #1.

Full review here.

I didn't know what to expect with this series. I like Black Widow, but she's never been able to really sustain a series on her own. She has always worked best as a supporting character with the Avengers. But this issue blew me away. It hit all the right notes, portraying Black Widow with the kind of complexity that I haven't seen in any other series. The idea that she is struggling for atonement and doesn't really let anyone know her past works flawlessly. It's not just another story about an assassin or spy. It was very personal and it definitely deserves a high score. I'm not sure it deserves a perfect 5 out of 5, but it definitely deserves to be close.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I didn't know what to expect with this series. I like Black Widow, but she's never been able to really sustain a series on her own. She has always worked best as a supporting character with the Avengers. But this issue blew me away. It hit all the right notes, portraying Black Widow with the kind of complexity that I haven't seen in any other series. The idea that she is struggling for atonement and doesn't really let anyone know her past works flawlessly. It's not just another story about an assassin or spy. It was very personal and it definitely deserves a high score. I'm not sure it deserves a perfect 5 out of 5, but it definitely deserves to be close.
    AGREED. The issue as a whole felt very personal and not in a cheap way. The story reads very elegently dangerous, which is a great way to potray Natasha. She is not harming in cold blood.. she is sly and cunning in a way only a female could be dangerous and lethal. She has her reasons but we dont know why and we dont know if we ever will, which helps the mystery and suspense of the series too. Its great to have Isiah be a counterpoint to her personality to play off of too; to break it up and enhance any smirk-worthy tones in the words of Natasha. The art also gives you that perfect balance between elegant and dangerous.. its washed and subtle but still breaks away a bit when needed. IMO, this is the perfect start to the series and as long as it stays on track, this will be one of the best books out of the all new now launch. (and dat MoooooooonKnight!) haha
    Last edited by tfranzone; 01-10-2014 at 08:50 AM.

Year of the Dragon themortalfist's Avatar

LOVED this issue. Was really impressed with the couple of little twists; and the title, "Raison d'etre," is clever: It implies that you're getting the reason why Black Widow is doing what she does, but you don't get to know Natasha (yet). There's obviously so much more to the character that just trying to wipe the slate clean. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens when something goes wrong with her "network" that she's providing for. Really well done, with lots of opportunity for intrigue. Very happy with this after one issue.
    Trust me. I have a plan. -- Daniel Rand, the Immortal Iron Fist

Honestly, I found this issue to be pretty average. Just establishing Natasha. Nothing wrong with that, I was just expecting more. Since this is my first time reading a solo Black Widow series, I guess it's not as refreshing for me, and I can't appreciate it as much. Like if I read Mark Waid's Daredevil without knowing how angsty Matt Murdock's life usually is. I'll keep reading for now, since I'm interested in seeing Black Widow outside of a supporting role, and I liked the character when she was written under Ed Brubaker.
    Last edited by XSpectreGreyX; 01-14-2014 at 06:38 PM.
    There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day.