Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Detective Comics, #27

Scott Snyder, Bryan Hitch and over twenty other top creators admirably and fittingly pay tribute to Batman and the character's enduring legacy on his 75th anniversary in the impressively-assembled "Detective Comics" #27.

Full review here.

really disappointing, even awful, frankly. some great art from Hitch, Fabok, and Murphy, but not worth the 8 bux i could've spent on something else.

the Francavilla story's ending was incomprehensible, the Hurwitz/Adams story was ridiculous, the Gothtopia premise is something out of an all-ages book, i won't even bother mentioning the rest.

this should have been A LOT better.

Quote Originally Posted by minimalistx View Post
    really disappointing, even awful, frankly. some great art from Hitch, Fabok, and Murphy, but not worth the 8 bux i could've spent on something else.

the Francavilla story's ending was incomprehensible, the Hurwitz/Adams story was ridiculous, the Gothtopia premise is something out of an all-ages book, i won't even bother mentioning the rest.

I absolutely agree and I wish I hadn't bought this either.
    Marvel: Miracleman, Moon Knight, Uncanny & All-New X-Men, Superior Spider-Man, All-New X-Factor, Daredevil
    DC/Vertigo: Sandman Overture, Astro City, Wonder Woman
    Other: Lazarus, X-Files: Season 10

I still have Gothtopia and Twenty Seven left to read, but I couldn't be happier with this book at this point.

A wonderful celebratory issue.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

the Gothtopia premise is something out of an all-ages book
    Surely, Detective Comics IS an all-ages book???

Enjoyable comic. I think it has been diminished slightly as we have had a lot of non-continuity Batman stories of of late via Legends of the Dark Knight. Still, solid celebratory issue with some good stories and a kick off to what looks like a really cool event!

4 out of 5 Stars.

BANNED

Yeah, only comics featuring gore, rape, and decapitation are for adults. Screw that kiddy crap, who wants to read something hopeful or interesting?

Not the best Batman/Detective anniversary issue I've read over the years, but not the worst, either. Doubt I'll remember much about it a few months from now, though. It was decent, if not terribly interesting.

edit: I've been thinking about this and realized I don't remember much about any Batman/Detective anniversary issue ever, at this point. Humm.
    Last edited by stk; 01-09-2014 at 05:38 PM.

Unreasonably Opinionated Conway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    Not the best Batman/Detective anniversary issue I've read over the years, but not the worst, either. Doubt I'll remember much about it a few months from now, though. It was decent, if not terribly interesting.

edit: I've been thinking about this and realized I don't remember much about any Batman/Detective anniversary issue ever, at this point. Humm.
    I think that will depend on how good Gothtopia turns out to be, and if Twenty-Seven gets a digital treatment that goes viral like Injustice did.

Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post
    I think that will depend on how good Gothtopia turns out to be, and if Twenty-Seven gets a digital treatment that goes viral like Injustice did.
    Twenty-Seven isn't continuing, though, is it? It's just a cute little one-off. Injustice was a series.

Gothtopia, despite being kind of hidden near the back, was the most important part of the issue. It's the "real" story and the only one that matters in terms of next month or continuity going forward. So it's lucky that one was pretty fun. It's nothing new... I mean, not only is the hero drugged and experiencing an alternate version of reality kind of an old trope, it's not even the first time we've seen it with Batman. But for whatever reason, I'm always kind of a sucker for this kind of story, no matter how many times I see it. On the other hand, it's a crossover, so the potential for one or more writers to muff it for everyone else is extremely high.

Twenty-Seven isn't continuing, though, is it? It's just a cute little one-off. Injustice was a series.

Gothtopia, despite being kind of hidden near the back, was the most important part of the issue. It's the "real" story and the only one that matters in terms of next month or continuity going forward. So it's lucky that one was pretty fun. It's nothing new... I mean, not only is the hero drugged and experiencing an alternate version of reality kind of an old trope, it's not even the first time we've seen it with Batman. But for whatever reason, I'm always kind of a sucker for this kind of story, no matter how many times I see it. On the other hand, it's a crossover, so the potential for one or more writers to muff it for everyone else is extremely high.
    The overwhelming response to Twenty-Seven and the fact that DC seems to be looking to build on the success they've had with Injustice, makes me hope that it becomes the next Digital release.

I am looking forward to Gothtopia, but you may have a point about crossovers ruining otherwise good stories.

I loved this issue. Definatly the best book since the Nu52 has appeared. Loved it. Realy enjoyed the Phantom Stranger story. Hell, it was all good.

Quote Originally Posted by deadboy80 View Post
    I loved this issue. Definatly the best book since the Nu52 has appeared. Loved it. Realy enjoyed the Phantom Stranger story. Hell, it was all good.
    I have to agree. I finished up last night with Twenty Seven, and I even enjoyed that one despite not really caring for the bulk of what Snyder has done with Batman. (I'd rather see more of Twenty Seven than ANY of Year Zero.)

I'd love to see Tec go back to this type of format with maybe 2 or 3 shorter stories, or ongoing stories per issue. Maybe 2 stories and some Adventures of Alfred.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Quote Originally Posted by ispacehead View Post
    I have to agree. I finished up last night with Twenty Seven, and I even enjoyed that one despite not really caring for the bulk of what Snyder has done with Batman. (I'd rather see more of Twenty Seven than ANY of Year Zero.)
    Couldn't agree more. I dropped Batman because of what Snyder did to the character. I even avoided Unchained because of the writer, but this deserves more.

Great White North Brian from Canada's Avatar

It's the "real" story and the only one that matters in terms of next month or continuity going forward.
    "Gothtopia"'s move to the middle — and lack of identification on the cover — is indicative of how poorly coordinated the whole thing is. Batwing, also out this week, only mentions Batman went nuts — and that's as far as it goes in connecting its story to the one in Detective Comics.