Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Kaare Andrews Trains For "Iron Fist: The Living Weapon"

The "Spider-Man: Reign" writer/artist returns to Marvel for his first ongoing series --*a bloody "Iron Fist" epic that returns Danny Rand to his Kung Fu origin story.

Full article here.

HUGE Iron Fist fan, (obviously, lol), but his origin has been told so many times in comics. I will buy this for sure but I'm not as excited as I could be.

Definitely will give this a shot, unfortunately, the one work I recollect reading from Andrews was a story I very much disliked, Spider-Man: Reign. Here's hoping this is a great ongoing, reading his interview, you can sense his excitement for what's coming. The story seems like it will be good enough just on that enthusiasm and this interview.

I did not like Reign either, but I'm willing to give this a shot. This is many years since, so hopefully he's grown as a writer. His art will still be tops.

I have a modest interest in this. I have the Immortal Iron Fist Omnibus and that is a great read. Still, I wouldn't call myself a huge Iron Fist fan but I appreciate the character.
    I may try the first arc, we will see. I like that Marvel has so many B/C listers getting titles, I just can't support them all as I'd wish. I like the art here better than She-Hulk so I may swap out She-Hulk for Iron Fist.
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

Sounds like this could have easily been under the Max umbrella, I was concerned about his workload on this affecting the art overall, but sh!t, he's already working on the third issue so, it's nice to know he had plenty of lead time...

Very good interview. The insightful answers provided a good look at the process and the general themes the book will be about and which styles it will probably follow. Can't wait for the first issue!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist Angel View Post
    HUGE Iron Fist fan, (obviously, lol), but his origin has been told so many times in comics. I will buy this for sure but I'm not as excited as I could be.
    I didn't read this as him saying he was going to retell the origin, but rather that he was going to bring the character back to his core - i.e. a fighter out for revenge and dealing with the consequences of that revenge, rather than him being a "hero-for-hire."

Year of the Dragon themortalfist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DaronK View Post
    I didn't read this as him saying he was going to retell the origin, but rather that he was going to bring the character back to his core - i.e. a fighter out for revenge and dealing with the consequences of that revenge, rather than him being a "hero-for-hire."
    That's how I read it as well. Even the Brubaker/Fraction run covered his origin -- but then used it to set up the conflict Danny had with K'un-Lun. this seems like Andrews is using the origin to set up the conflict within himself. It's a smart approach -- Danny has become this kind of Zen/mystical warrior (and don't get me started on the lame Iron Fist on Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon), and while you can retain parts of that personality, i think it's smart to show why he seems conflicted (and possibly why he's not appearing in any other team books).
    Trust me. I have a plan. -- Daniel Rand, the Immortal Iron Fist

Sound like he won't be using any of the Immortal Weapons, which is a shame. But I'm still plenty excited about this, I love Kaare Andrews' art and this definitely sounds like a whole different take of Iron Fist like we haven't seen in a while.

I have to say that this interview lessened my interest in the book, because it's basically ignoring all the character growth Danny has undergone in the last 40 years. Yes, his ORIGINAL storyline was about revenge, but even that ended with him deciding not to kill his enemy (as it happens, someone else did).

But all I get from this is "dark, bloody, violent vengeance". It's like K'un L'un was replaced by Sin City.

I'll probably give the first issue a shot, though.
    Mario Di Giacomo

Quote Originally Posted by mdg1 View Post
    I have to say that this interview lessened my interest in the book, because it's basically ignoring all the character growth Danny has undergone in the last 40 years. Yes, his ORIGINAL storyline was about revenge, but even that ended with him deciding not to kill his enemy (as it happens, someone else did).

But all I get from this is "dark, bloody, violent vengeance". It's like K'un L'un was replaced by Sin City.

I agree with ya, that interview did nothing to sell the book to me, but I will give it a shot

Quote Originally Posted by mdg1 View Post

Man I hope this guy doesn't go overboard and get this book cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Daredevil Is Legend View Post
    Man I hope this guy doesn't go overboard and get this book cancelled.
    Me, or Kaare Andrews? ;)
    Mario Di Giacomo

Psychological violence Moose100's Avatar

I actually liked his enthusiasm for the character. I will be giving this a shot as well.

I gotta say I havent seen this much of an artistic explosion from Marvel since the 90s. Between this and the content from Image it is a good time to be a comics fan.