Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Avengers World, #1

Jonathan Hickman, Nick Spencer and Stefano Caselli travel to Italy, Barbuda and Madripoor in "Avengers World" #1.

Full review here.

Caselli's art alone gives this book 5 stars. :)
    Be more constructive with your feedback -- Jemaine

Do we really need another Avengers title? No and a rather emphatic NO at that.

The Avengers have returned from the stars only to find trouble brewing at home once again. All around the world trouble brews for the Avengers who maybe thought they could have a rest after their space adventures but sadly no breaks for our heroes.

Trouble brews around the globe and the Avengers are split up into team to investigate the problems. With the Avengers being a virtual army of superheroes the only real way to take any of them down is to split them into smaller teams and then beat them up individually - which is what is happening here in our first issue.

Trouble comes in big and small packages in this issue but mostly big, and in one case really big - giant size trouble in the form of a dragon-sized creature - taking a look at the picture the dragon-creature is huge and it will take the might of all the Avengers perhaps to settle it down that is if Shang-Chi and company don't find a way to let the creature go back to sleep.

So here we have the Avengers a literal army of them going around the world investigating the various problems - the problems will only get bigger and more deadly as time passes until the stories and villains become ridiculous in nature.

Do we really need another Avengers title - for me the answer is no - don't we have enough Avengers already without adding another title into the mix - but enough with the rant...

Overall - the art is okay - nothing spectacular but okay. The story itself is huge but with this team it had to be huge. Is it different from the other Avengers title - no not really - which is part of the problem but it is the first issue so I shouldn't expect so much of it. The dialogue at times is a bit silly (Cannonball and Sunspot talking) and the comment by Captain America "she's one woman" sounds rather sexist on his part not what we expect from Cap.

Overall: 7.0/10

It was ok but don't feel like I need to read two books with the same team.
    Buy The Punisher

I think this book would be better-served if Spencer just picked a half-dozen characters, and kept the focus on them. If he tries to balance a cast of 16 characters, then there's simply not going to be room for consistent in-depth characterization and character development. It'll mostly wind up being shallow. It'll be lots of quips and jokes, but nothing that really matters. That was the problem with Bendis' Avengers run - for all the dialogue, there was little depth to most of it. Hickman's Avengers run has been similarly shallow in terms of characterization. If this book is going to be the character-focused complement to Avengers, then it should be a deeper character focus. And that means a more manageable cast.

My suggestion would be for him to have the friendship between Smasher, Cannonball and Sunpot as the heart of the book, the reluctant alliance between Captain America and Maria Hill as another recurring element, and maybe toss in Starbrand's continuing growth. (And maybe include Captain Marvel as a major character, too, to help boost her profile, and hopefully get more people to pick up her solo series.) Other characters can get some focus here and there, too, but keep the core cast at a reasonable size, rather than juggling too many characters at once.

I'll agree with those past couple comments that there wasn't anything here that made me feel it was different from the other Avengers book and worth having its own series.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatican View Post
    I think this book would be better-served if Spencer just picked a half-dozen characters, and kept the focus on them. If he tries to balance a cast of 16 characters, then there's simply not going to be room for consistent in-depth characterization and character development. It'll mostly wind up being shallow. It'll be lots of quips and jokes, but nothing that really matters. That was the problem with Bendis' Avengers run - for all the dialogue, there was little depth to most of it. Hickman's Avengers run has been similarly shallow in terms of characterization. If this book is going to be the character-focused complement to Avengers, then it should be a deeper character focus. And that means a more manageable cast.

My suggestion would be for him to have the friendship between Smasher, Cannonball and Sunpot as the heart of the book, the reluctant alliance between Captain America and Maria Hill as another recurring element, and maybe toss in Starbrand's continuing growth. (And maybe include Captain Marvel as a major character, too, to help boost her profile, and hopefully get more people to pick up her solo series.) Other characters can get some focus here and there, too, but keep the core cast at a reasonable size, rather than juggling too many characters at once.
    I would have liked a hint to something bigger happening in the background, like a link to the Universe disintegrating, or, this is all an Alien invasion softening up procedure. If not. Then maybe some historical piece on the landscape of the Marvel Universe being this crazy and humans have a hard time coping with this. Or, Earth-616 is a super human playground and always has been and ordinary humans are just the audience.
    Visited NY and DC and saw Spider-Man Turn off the Dark.

Ah, the smell of average. That's what is coming off this book. Just an average book with average looking artwork. Nothing special about it at all.

I would also like to point out this: Why is Wolverine still on the Avengers? Did Avengers #24 say he was out, whether he liked it or not?

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Ah, the smell of average. That's what is coming off this book. Just an average book with average looking artwork. Nothing special about it at all.

I would also like to point out this: Why is Wolverine still on the Avengers? Did Avengers #24 say he was out, whether he liked it or not?
    caselli average? huh?
    Ready for the return of the one and only Spider-Man!!

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Does this replace Avengers Assembled?
    I don't think so. I could be wrong, but I think this replaces Hickman's second monthly issue in Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek
    Yeah, I wish they would have kept their promise.

Veteran Member Juggernaut Punch's Avatar

I liked it, but I don't see why it needs to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut Punch View Post
    I liked it, but I don't see why it needs to exist.
    In theory, to provide the characterization that the main Avengers title has been largely lacking. We'll see if it actually lives up to that, though. Going by this issue, and the story in the Point 1, I'm thinking "characterization" will mostly be "quipping," in the style of Bendis' Avengers run.

I liked it. As complicated as I'd expect from Hickman

Veteran Member Juggernaut Punch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatican View Post
    In theory, to provide the characterization that the main Avengers title has been largely lacking. We'll see if it actually lives up to that, though. Going by this issue, and the story in the Point 1, I'm thinking "characterization" will mostly be "quipping," in the style of Bendis' Avengers run.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a monthly title, right? And Hickman's Avenger's were cut back by one issue per month. So why bother creating a new book instead of just having all the Avengers World stories/issues be arcs of Hickman's Avengers book?

This book didn't feel different in the least from Hickman's Avengers. There wasn't any more "characterisation" or "quipping" than there is in Hickman's issues.

The issue was okay for me, nothing great or awful about it for me except that as usual I enjoyed Caselli's art.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Does this replace Avengers Assembled?
    No, Avengers Assemble is still going on.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    I was wondering that myself. Maybe this takes place before Avengers 24?