Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default EXCLUSIVE: Writing Team Ready to "Blow Things Up" in DC's Weekly "Futures End"

CBR spoke exclusively with Brian Azzarello, Keith Giffen, Dan Jurgens and Jeff Lemire in their first roundtable interview on "The New 52: Futures End."

Full article here.

This is defiantly a better creative team then "Countdown" but still not as good as the "52" one. Though it's gonna be interesting to see Azzarello play with other writers. He seems to strike me as someone who likes to keep it to himself.

Strong creative team, I like the characters they're mentioning, and they seem confident. I look forward to seeing some of these new characters and I have high hopes for this series!

Hahaha, Giffen sounds really tired on Wally issue. I can imagine them rolling their eyes around that part.

Why are the heroes robots?
    "Perfection... sometimes it's our worst enemy. I tried to be perfect once... decided to just try to be better. Found a good way to start that... is by accepting who you are."

On the one hand, one hopes this is a nice venue for little/lesser known characters to get a spotlight at DC, which I'm desperate for. And the creative team has a lot going for it. But these weeklies tend to bleed the 'voice' from creators, so I'm only cautiously optimistic. 52, for example, was (to me) worse than the sum of it's parts (ie, I'd rather have had 4 monthlies, one from each creator). Countdown was abysmal, and even Trinity was fairly generic.

So, yeah. We'll see. I love Azzarello and Giffen and like Lemire. I think those guys all have strong ideas, smart ideas.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

I just really hope this is not part of the 52 continuity. As an elseworlds type of thing okay, but as, this is the future of the dcu 52, not such a fan of that.

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveVibe View Post
    I just really hope this is not part of the 52 continuity. As an elseworlds type of thing okay, but as, this is the future of the dcu 52, not such a fan of that.
    Well, no future is ever too official, they are all pretty much elseworlds.

Some of them get referred to more than others, but at the end of the day, the current writers have no control over future writers.
    The DC relaunch was successful and was executed in what was most likely the best way it could given restrictions we wouldn't know about. No, your idea wouldn't have worked. Now move on.

This sounds like a lot of fun, but so does the Batman weekly coming out this year. I think it's a mistake to have both weeklies in the same year, though, even if their time frames are staggered a bit. Haven't heard a price point yet for either series, but we consumers only have so much money to spend each week. The Batman weekly was a good fit for this year with his anniversary and all, but it seems like this book could have been saved until 2015.

"Azzarello: I just needed a character from the future, and that was the only one I knew. "

There are people who think that the better writers put so much time and thought and attention into all this, and the hacks just throw it all together. Please note, even the good ones go with whatever is easy sometimes.
    The DC relaunch was successful and was executed in what was most likely the best way it could given restrictions we wouldn't know about. No, your idea wouldn't have worked. Now move on.

Quote Originally Posted by jloder24 View Post
    This sounds like a lot of fun, but so does the Batman weekly coming out this year. I think it's a mistake to have both weeklies in the same year, though, even if their time frames are staggered a bit. Haven't heard a price point yet for either series, but we consumers only have so much money to spend each week. The Batman weekly was a good fit for this year with his anniversary and all, but it seems like this book could have been saved until 2015.
    I believe the weekly issues are replacing several ongoing series. So in theory, DC will still only be putting out 52 issues a month.

If the problem is that you'll be buying more DC than you normally do, that's kinda DC's job to get you to do.

Obviously, Kieth Giffen doesn't want me to like him as a person.
    "Shh... you were always here, waiting for yourself to arrive." -- Jean Grey, New X-Men 153

I hope Kieth Giffen gets Brother Eye and the Kevin Kho OMAC as his characters.

Metal Woman

I hate to be the Negative Nancy, but it kinda seems like each creator is using this as an opportunity to push characters they've already failed with in the last 2 years. Lemire - Frankenstein, Jurgens - Firestorm, Giffen - OMAC...

But, since this is clearly going to "matter" and having everlasting repercussions on the DCU, I'll be buying it...

Quote Originally Posted by Kerukun878 View Post
    Obviously, Kieth Giffen doesn't want me to like him as a person.
    Why? Because he doesn't want to give away the story ahead of time, or write about characters he doesn't find interesting?