Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default THE BAT SIGNAL: Higgins Gets Personal With "Nightwing" & "Batman Beyond"

Kyle Higgins continues "Nightwing's" pre-"Forever Evil" adventures and brings Man-Bat to the non-New 52 Terry McGinnis in "Batman Beyond 2.0."

Full article here.

Rather sad to see confirmation that the interesting Chicago set-up of Nightwing, and it's history with masks, "isn't where the book is heading any more".

Great White North Brian from Canada's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Rather sad to see confirmation that the interesting Chicago set-up of Nightwing, and it's history with masks, "isn't where the book is heading any more".
    Me too. One of the best things about Nightwing is that Dick is mature enough to take his situation out of Gotham and set up elsewhere with enjoyable results. That said, I am still looking forward to how this book will deal with the fallout from Forever Evil. Nightwing has been consistently good throughout its present run, and I expect no less when the major plans from Johns hit it.

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

"Geoff [Johns] has got a huge plan in place"

Cool

I think Johns said post FE he is only writing one new title that is supposed to mostly focus on a single character. I don't think that is going to be Dick though. Hopefully Johns leaves him in a good/interesting place at least.

But yeah, I'm ready for Higgins to move on from Nightwing. I think he has just about beaten the "demons from my past coming back to haunt me" trope as much as you possibly can, and that was only from the small part of Dick's pre-Robin history that DC allowed him to touch. Never really got the chance to get into the more interesting parts of the character. While the Chicago arc has been better, namely in tone and art, I can't say I am that upset about missing out on more Batman-lite stories where he struggles to fight some new or D-list villains. I'm ready for something new even if that might be worse than what we currently have.

So, the promising story with Chicago’s mask mythos is over but Zucco is still in play? Why? Kill it already! How can Higgins see potential in an arc that is already overdone?

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    "Geoff [Johns] has got a huge plan in place"

Cool
    Sure and Santa was great this Christmas and I can’t wait to see what the Easter bunny has planed for this year. On the other hand 6 issues of Nightwing tied to a chair may be too hard to surpass.

this isnt the first time this had happen with Nightwing

Why the hell should we feel invested in a story that cant maintain an status quo for more than 6 issues?
    Check out the Comicfrontline
    The Self-destruction of New 52 FINAL PART
    Click here
    Check out Batwatchhttp://batwatch.net/

I'm starting to feel like they will make Grayson, Batman Beyond. Hopefully I'm wrong, and that's Bruce in his test suit I really don't like he idea of incorporating Beyond o the main universe. If Grayson lives I'd rather he stay Nightwing and ditch the name Grayson.

Quote Originally Posted by ArnoldoAAD View Post
    this isnt the first time this had happen with Nightwing

Why the hell should we feel invested in a story that cant maintain an status quo for more than 6 issues?
    I gotta agree with these while adding that it also won't be the last either.

I'm genuinely disappointed that we won't see more of this Chicago mythos (which honestly had a LOT of potential) but I was also disappointed when we didn't get that Prince of Gotham arc either. Honestly, hope the new direction can at least follow that pattern as well. I actually really like Higgins work but it seems like he has zero actual control over the character.

And the Batman Beyond in Future's Edge is confirmed as being Terry.
    Last edited by Just Is; 01-08-2014 at 10:01 AM.
    Pull List: (Marvel) Daredevil, Mighty Avengers, Hawkeye, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Uncanny X-Men, She-Hulk, Ms Marvel, X-Factor (DC) Nightwing, Batman, Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Brian from Canada View Post
    Me too. One of the best things about Nightwing is that Dick is mature enough to take his situation out of Gotham and set up elsewhere with enjoyable results. That said, I am still looking forward to how this book will deal with the fallout from Forever Evil. Nightwing has been consistently good throughout its present run, and I expect no less when the major plans from Johns hit it.
    Same here. I've really enjoyed the Chicago stuff.
    In my opinion is implied in every post. Please make an effort to remember that.

We all pretty much knew Grayson was in "Editorially Mandated Treading Water" and "Geoff Johns Does What He Wants" territory.

I can't wait for the whole damn affair to shake out so we have some idea what the heck the future holds in store for on of DC's top ten, top tier characters who has been the most dramatically underrepresented since he took off the substitute cape & cowl.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Retro315 View Post
    We all pretty much knew Grayson was in "Editorially Mandated Treading Water" and "Geoff Johns Does What He Wants" territory.

I can't wait for the whole damn affair to shake out so we have some idea what the heck the future holds in store for on of DC's top ten, top tier characters who has been the most dramatically underrepresented since he took off the substitute cape & cowl.
    I think you're right there. In a way I feel sorry for Higgins as he no doubt had things he wanted to do going forwards like the stuff with the other masks in Chicago and he's had to shelf that so that John's Nightwing fallout can continue. Higgins must be a bit p1$$ed at that.

Quote Originally Posted by BadBoy House View Post
    I think you're right there. In a way I feel sorry for Higgins as he no doubt had things he wanted to do going forwards like the stuff with the other masks in Chicago and he's had to shelf that so that John's Nightwing fallout can continue. Higgins must be a bit p1$$ed at that.
    Then he probably shouldn't have wasted so many of his issues before that.

Any news on who will be writing Nightwing post forever evil? Based on the interview, it looks like Higgins might be sticking around.

Quote Originally Posted by RichSummers View Post
    Any news on who will be writing Nightwing post forever evil? Based on the interview, it looks like Higgins might be sticking around.
    I heard it was Higgins still.