Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Veteran Member

Default Detective Comics #27 Preview/Discussion

Via USA Today

DC Entertainment presents this mega-sized issue featuring an all-star roster of Batman creators past and present!

Don't miss a modern-day retelling of The Dark Knight's origin by the incredible team of writer Brad Meltzer and artist Bryan Hitch! Plus, all-new stories by Scott Snyder and Sean Murphy, Peter J. Tomasi and Guillem March, Paul Dini and Dustin Nguyen, Gregg Hurwitz and Neal Adams, new art by legendary Batman writer/artist Frank Miller and more!

Also in this issue, John Layman and Jason Fabok kick off the new storyline "GOTHTOPIA"! It's a bright, shiny, happy place where dreams come true...as long as you don't look at things too closely.

Full article here.

---
    More interested for the amount of talent involved than for the character.

the trunks return! looks good

So are these canon stories for the Nu52 or just anniversary (and hopefully good) one shot stories?

Haven't really kept up on the news for this issue.
    PSN: BloodOps
    "Tt..You can't just build a boat and hope darkness magically sails away with it."

"Why not? It's my boat."

Quote Originally Posted by BloodOps View Post
    So are these canon stories for the Nu52 or just anniversary (and hopefully good) one shot stories?

Haven't really kept up on the news for this issue.
    The latter, I think.

I'm annoyed that the only story being previewed is Metler's.

Veteran Member

Speaking as a Meltzer fan, I don't like the first pages of his story.

He's not doing anything particularly new or exciting, not to mention that all of those "I do it" are already getting annoying.

Hitch's art doesn't look that impressive either.

It looks good, Meltzer's story. The art is lovely. The Batman costume really tows the line between the sort of New 52 style gloves and boots, a belt that's somewhat Batman, Inc. and a totally classic costume, otherwise. Looks fun.

That Tony Daniel variant cover kind of made me laugh, because of how messed up it looks out of context. Batman just wailing on mental patients ... such a great image to convey. Kids really ought to look up to a guy who constantly breaks into mental institutions to beat up the "freaks" that live there. Weird side-effect of the "Batman's crazy villains locked up in one not-quite-prison" storytelling scenario.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Retro315 View Post
    That Tony Daniel variant cover kind of made me laugh, because of how messed up it looks out of context. Batman just wailing on mental patients ... such a great image to convey. Kids really ought to look up to a guy who constantly breaks into mental institutions to beat up the "freaks" that live there. Weird side-effect of the "Batman's crazy villains locked up in one not-quite-prison" storytelling scenario.
    "Mental patients"?!?

I figured they were just your garden variety prison convicts. Is orange the color of loony bins or something?
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Speaking as a Meltzer fan, I don't like the first pages of his story.

He's not doing anything particularly new or exciting, not to mention that all of those "I do it" are already getting annoying.

Hitch's art doesn't look that impressive either.
    Really cool to see Hitch on Batman but yeah, that narration is incredibly annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Retro315 View Post
    It looks good, Meltzer's story. The art is lovely. The Batman costume really tows the line between the sort of New 52 style gloves and boots, a belt that's somewhat Batman, Inc. and a totally classic costume, otherwise. Looks fun.

Ha, it's classic Batman

So do we have a complete creator list for this yet?
    "Bruce, you have the creepiest smile!"

Nice preview.

The "I do it"s do feel overdone
    "Criminals are a cowardly, superstitious lot." - Dick Grayson
    "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard." - Damian Wayne

Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default DETECTIVE COMICS #27 Preview/Discussion

Via [a href="http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2014/01/06/brad-meltzer-detective-comics-batman-story/4335527/" target="_blank"]USA Today[/a]

DC Entertainment presents this mega-sized issue featuring an all-star roster of Batman creators past and present!

Don't miss a modern-day retelling of The Dark Knight's origin by the incredible team of writer Brad Meltzer and artist Bryan Hitch! Plus, all-new stories by Scott Snyder and Sean Murphy, Peter J. Tomasi and Guillem March, Paul Dini and Dustin Nguyen, Gregg Hurwitz and Neal Adams, new art by legendary Batman writer/artist Frank Miller and more!

Also in this issue, John Layman and Jason Fabok kick off the new storyline "GOTHTOPIA"! It's a bright, shiny, happy place where dreams come true...as long as you don't look at things too closely.

Full article here.

That's a great cover

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    "Mental patients"?!?

I figured they were just your garden variety prison convicts. Is orange the color of loony bins or something?
    It's hard to read, with the word "featuring" in the way, but one of the sleeves looks like it has "ARKHAM" written on it.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979 View Post
    It's hard to read, with the word "featuring" in the way, but one of the sleeves looks like it has "ARKHAM" written on it.
    It definitely says Arkham Inmate. Good catch.

I didn't read any of the preview but the art looks pretty good. I'm really hoping this issue turns out great. I enjoy all of the talent involved. The ears on Jim Lee's cover would look cooler if they were shorter, but I do like the idea he was going for.
    "CBR. Complain, b**ch, and rant." - Greg Capullo

messageboard hyperbole is laughably bad, by a country mile. :rolls eyes:

Hitch's art looks stunning as always, but does anyone else wish he was drawing him in the Year Zero suit?