Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Axel-In-Charge - Jan 3, 2014

Axel Alonso's two-part look back on Marvel in 2013 wraps with a dissection of the big moves made by Nova, Angela, Superior Spider-Man and more!

Full article here.

i think it time for axel to go, he done some great things with teh x-books and spiderman has never been better but the rest of the line is not being run very well. Im sure a lot of these decisions are made by the corporate overlords but all these restarts of books with new number 1 is just bad for business maybe not now but it will catch up with them. Alsohas much as they push this new nova and im not one of the crazy bring back rich rider fans but the character is just plain beyond awful. and Also no matter how they spin it teh inuhman creative shuffle is a pr nightmare and does not bode well for the future and from everything ive heard even with inhumanity selling out the concept has been met very unfavorable by both customers and retailers. Also some of these all new marvel no launches my god they really scraping the bottom of the barrell, a majority of these books wont make it to issue ten and id rather have my resources cocentrated on double shipping the upper tier marvel books more

Looking forward to 2014. The first NOW wave got me to buy comics monthly for the first time, and Marvel keeps putting out books that really interest me.

That Loki preview looks great! I can't wait for the first issue even more now.
    Saga UncannyAvengers AmazingXMen AllNewXFactor XForce Magneto Loki Nightcrawler Inhuman Deadpool KevinKeller
    Awaiting: TheWicked&TheDivine

For the love of God, can't they make Dracula look like he used to? That design is just horrendous.

Nova predates Luke Skywalker and if Axel is using those two because there both relatable everyman characters yeah they are relatable but Richard Rider is an everyman Luke Skywalker and Peter Parker are not.
    Last edited by Trevel8182; 01-03-2014 at 01:47 PM.

I think Marvel's biggest accomplishment this year is the Superior Spider-Man. It was one hell of a gamble that really did pay off. I'm catching up in trades and it's one of the best books out and I say this as a person that really didn't care for Slott's earlier Spider-Man work. It's consciously and gleefully trashing the entire Spider-Man concept and it's a sick thrill. I can't wait to see how Peter deals with all the fallout when he comes back.

Angela's still kind of dumb. Hopefully she gels in 2014.

That Lee Garbett art is selling me on the Loki book where Ewing isn't. No offense to Ewing, it's just going to take a lot to convince me after Gillen knocked it out of the park.

I don't think Inhuman is going to click with anyone.

I've never read Nova with Richard Rider but boy oh boy do I wish people would stop screaming about him. Seems a bit unfair to the new guy.

I'd say Nova has done "OK" in 2013...but not much above that. I'm done with complaining about stuff and just want to always put forth that Richard Rider, Nova Prime, is a fantastic character who should be at the top of Marvel's priorities.

..and Personally what irks me the most is that if Loeb is going to "cut the cord" on a decent marvel character at the least he could have stuck around for a few arcs. Keith Giffen did with Blue Beetle..and Rich deserved better treatment than even Ted Kord.

one hundred ways to die Centipede Damascus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Idio View Post
    For the love of God, can't they make Dracula look like he used to? That design is just horrendous.
    I keep bugging Brevoort about it on his tumblr. Gene Colan Dracula or bust!

Quote Originally Posted by Centipede Damascus View Post
    I keep bugging Brevoort about it on his tumblr. Gene Colan Dracula or bust!
    ^^^^^Damn Straight!

Quote Originally Posted by SadSuperman View Post
    I've never read Nova with Richard Rider but boy oh boy do I wish people would stop screaming about him. Seems a bit unfair to the new guy.
    It is unfair on the new guy, but having a new guy is unfair on the old guy.

I think mainly what has irked a few of the Rider fans is a mixture or the fact there hasn't been a reveal as to how Star Lord and Thanos survived but Rich didn't, and the general reaction of everyone's favourite editor Steve Wacker in those threads where he clearly enjoys winding up the more vocal Rider fans. Which bounces between funny and rude.
    I Will Raise my Throne above the Stars of your Gods

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Quest View Post

I think mainly what has irked a few of the Rider fans is a mixture or the fact there hasn't been a reveal as to how Star Lord and Thanos survived but Rich didn't, and the general reaction of everyone's favourite editor Steve Wacker in those threads where he clearly enjoys winding up the more vocal Rider fans. Which bounces between funny and rude.
    Very True. And even though characters who had viable solo series or viable team books tend to always pop back up, there is the cases of fan favorite characters like Genis-Vell who were just left in the dust.

Frankly, I'm just stoked about Starlin's Revelation work coming and was a huge fan of Infinity, so its tough to be too rough on Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Quest View Post

Those are good points. I think I'm not as outraged over the replacement because the new book seems to be a very different direction from the "Annihilation/War of Kings/Thanos Imperative" space epics that Richard Rider was part of. It's just a new take on an old character. Richard Rider will eventually come back, because comics. I think Bendis said something about explaining how the characters came back eventually in his books.

If Novas big catch is that he's a cosmic character based on earth then what makes him different from all the other comics characters based on earth? Because they only character that seems to actually cosmic is the Silver Surfer.

Releasing Johnny's torch Ravin' Ray's Avatar
    Where the diwatas and the Triumph Division call home

Spidey616 has been observing the Marvel U from afar and wonders, "One of the notable developments in Matt Fraction's FF run was the unborn child of everyone's favorite Watcher, Uatu. Does Fraction or another creator intend to touch upon this plot point with a future project?"

Alonso: We're not done touching on it in FF yet, Spidey616!
    Does this mean Mrs. and Baby Watcher will feature prominently in FF #16, or will they appear after FF ends, like maybe in that story with the purported death of Uatu?
    Johnny Storm was dead; who is this resurrected Johnny Storm?
    "Here, hold my Annihilus…" Johnny Storm, Fantastic Four #601