Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Poll: How Do You Feel About Marvel Getting the "Star Wars" License?

How Do You Feel About Marvel Getting the "Star Wars" License?

With the recent news dropping that Marvel has acquired the "Star Wars" license and will begin publishing in 2015, CBR wants to know how you feel about the shift from previous publisher Dark Horse.

Vote on the poll here.

As long as Star War's characters don't find their way into the MU I don't mind at all.

san francisco - the free range twink farm

dont care as long as those characters don't infect the MU proper. Maybe that giant green rabbit, but that's it.

I wouldn't touch a SW comic with a ten foot bargepole, but it seems sad that a smaller publisher that treated the property with obvious, loving reverence and did completely right by it is now losing their "children" for a bigger company that can't even keep its own properties on the right track.
    Last edited by Pixie_Solanas; 01-03-2014 at 10:56 AM.

As long as John Ostrander can keep writing Star Wars books, I don't care. If not, it would be a pity.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie_Solanas View Post
    dont care as long as those characters don't infect the MU proper.
    Agreed.

Unless it was Yoda and/or Darth Vader I'd be okay with those two appearing in a Marvel Universe book but other than that I don't care for SW personally. Again though I hope their fans enjoy what Marvel does with the franchise.

So disappointed. I knew this day was coming but it still saddens me. Marvel won't produce the same quality of awesome comics that Dark Horse has proven quite capable of doing over and over again over the last 20 years.

Dark Horse has done the property proud for decades. I've enjoyed many of the series, including two of the current ones ("Star Wars" and "The Star Wars").

I'll reserve judgement until I see what happens, but unfortunately I have a feeling that we are just marking time now until Deadpool, Wolverine and/or Mickey Mouse make their way to the Mos Eisley cantina...

Bring back the Hoojibs. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hoojib

I'll have to wait and see. I'm far from a big Star Wars comics fan but I'd hate to see Marvel screw up after two decades of loving care by Dark Horse. I bet the DH guys are feeling a knife in their collective back even if it was the predictable move for Disney.
    "Corruptus In Extremis"

I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library. Jorge Luis Borges

"Omne animal triste est post coitum"

Quote Originally Posted by Kolymar View Post
    I'll have to wait and see. I'm far from a big Star Wars comics fan but I'd hate to see Marvel screw up after two decades of loving care by Dark Horse. I bet the DH guys are feeling a knife in their collective back even if it was the predictable move for Disney.
    I'm sure Dark Horse execs were told fairly soon after Disney purchased Lucasfilm that they were living on borrowed time.

I don't like it one bit. Logistically, Marvel won't be able to justify putting out the same breadth of material as Dark Horse does.

Gone Shoggey somewhere between Bogan and Albion

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie_Solanas View Post
    dont care as long as those characters don't infect the MU proper. Maybe that giant green rabbit, but that's it.

I wouldn't touch a SW comic with a ten foot bargepole, but it seems sad that a smaller publisher that treated the property with obvious, loving reverence and did completely right by it is now losing their "children" for a bigger company that can't even keep its own properties on the right track.
    You nailed it. I'll wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    As long as John Ostrander can keep writing Star Wars books, I don't care. If not, it would be a pity.
    I'll raise you Ostrander AND Jan Duursema. If they can both continue, great. If not, it depends on the creative teams and the characters/eras they dip into.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet-Batman View Post
    So disappointed. I knew this day was coming but it still saddens me. Marvel won't produce the same quality of awesome comics that Dark Horse has proven quite capable of doing over and over again over the last 20 years.
    Exactly. The quality that came out of DH's SW work is the quality I wish every comic had. Excellent stories, beautiful art and being faithful to the universe regardless. And a decent price point. I guess this is why their digital SW comics spiked upward in price.
    Who squeezed the Shaman?

I dunno. I'm skeptical of Marvel. On one hand, they were fairly decent with licensed or creator-owned books (Heathcliff, G.I. Joe, Groo, Epic). On the other hand, since the 90s, Marvel seemed to have the attitude of if it ain't theirs, it doesn't take priority (Epic II, CrossGen, Malibu).

Marvel probably won't pull a DC and crossover their superhero line at the first chance like SOMEbody did with the Masters of the Universe comics.

If the Star Wars franchise was left intact with Dark Horse handing over the keys to Marvel and letting it run itself (within some boundaries), there shouldn't be a problem. But, my gut says be prepared for regular cross-overs, artist-poaching and a clique of writers taking over.
    Maybe one day we'll see omnibus series of Groo, THB and Josie (pre-and the Pussycats).

I don't really care because I don't read SW comics but I feel really bad for the people at Dark Horse.

Isn't that most of what Dark Horse does, Star Wars comics? What will they have left?
    The "Son of Batman" movie reminded me of the first reason I hated Grant Morrison's Batman run: Talia raped Batman and got away with it.

Otaku Revolution