Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default 14 Characters to Watch in 2014

Every year, some characters stand above the rest. CBR picks 14 characters we expect big things from in comics, television and movies in 2014.

Full article here.

If you call Rocket a "cute, fuzzy critter" to his face you'd get your head blown off.

Where is Black Widow?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	best of 2014.JPG 
Views:	197 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	124089
    Daredevil, Hawkguy, Secret Avengers, Black Widow, Moon Knight, Magneto, Punisher, Wonder Woman, The Wake, Batman, Velvet, Jupiter's Legacy, Black Science,Starlight and Zero.

Not a bad list, but why is Jean Grey not on this list? She's going to be tried for crimes she hasn't yet committed in a big crossover with Guardians of the Galaxy. Also, Wolverine is supposed to get national headlines in September 2014, probably with his death or something of the sort. They should be on this list. The X-men have another movie coming out this year. There's a good chance it'll suck as much as the last few, but they're still characters to watch.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Not a bad list, but why is Jean Grey not on this list? She's going to be tried for crimes she hasn't yet committed in a big crossover with Guardians of the Galaxy. Also, Wolverine is supposed to get national headlines in September 2014, probably with his death or something of the sort. They should be on this list. The X-men have another movie coming out this year. There's a good chance it'll suck as much as the last few, but they're still characters to watch.
    Maybe she's in the top 20?

My prediction is Moon Knight fails as he always fails to sustain a solo book. I like him in books like Secret Avengers because frankly he is too much work. All these creative teams constantly trying to invent something interesting about him is a waste.

The same goes for Black Widow and Magneto; I don't see these characters sustaining ongoing books.

If I'm wrong, then I'll check them all out later in the year via MCDU app or when they're $.99.

"Thanks to the writing acumen of Kelly Sue DeConnick, Carol Danvers has shot into the upper-tier of Marvel's heroic pantheon."

???

Ms. Marvel had higher sales and a longer life than the recent Captain Marvel title(s).

Carol was a major character before now.

The only thing that's new is the nonstop top-down propaganda from a few sources pretending that the title is a bigger better deal than it actually is.

Why can't we acknowledge certain things that are just fine/okay/pretty good? Why do certain types of books have to be pushed so forcefully?

Oh that's right, because it's been treading just barely above cancellation ever since it launched, and if it didn't have allllllllllll this manufactured help, it would've been cancelled a long time ago. Some victory.

I have doubts about Rocket Raccoon.

Honestly this list should have been 15 spots and that 15th should have gone to Big Hero 6. They're Disney's next animated feature film coming out in November 2014. It's going to be another hit from them same as Frozen, Tangled and Wreck-it-Ralph.
    Top DC: Wonder Woman
    Top Marvel: X-Men, Hawkeye, All New X-Factor, Ms. Marvel

RIP I, Vampire

Twitter!

Eh. Already bored of the Loki love.

Great White North Brian from Canada's Avatar

Honestly, half this list doesn't belong there.

Not even Joseph Gordon-Levitt's interest in Sandman will elevate it beyond the "past classic" status the book already holds. If I was going to pick one product from Neil Gaiman, it's Miracleman/Marvelman. Let's face it: Marvel's teased us with the property ownership long enough — it's time to do something about it, and the last half of 2014 seems ripe to bring him forward. Expect SDCC to feature big Marvelman news, what with Marvel scrambling to pat themselves on the back for cinematic success in anticipation of Avengers 2 and Ant Man.

Electro? You have to be kidding me. Jamie Foxx is no Heath Ledger, and I doubt he'll elevate the performance above average — especially because (a) there's no competition to beat, unlike Joker and his previous appearances on film, and (b) it's Marvel. Marvel's not going to rock the boat. If we're going to talk Marvel and film, there's only one answer: Phil Coulson and the Agents Of SHIELD. Agents Of SHIELD is going to reveal the Tahitian secret, the series is going to be more Marvel-like in order to slow the slide down in the ratings, and Hailey Atwell is reportedly signed for a spinoff.

Flash at 12? You've got to be kidding me. The Flash may be the spinoff breakout that CW has been looking for. And given how many press outlets WB owns, expect that to be huge. The comic is also running strong, and expect it to get a boost as the TV series pushes him further into the spotlight.

Star-Lord? No. Again, you're basing it on interest in the character, but unless Marvel has seen something dramatic in an actor that has never demonstrated it, that's going to Rocket Raccoon. My guess? If Constantine gets off the ground at NBC, he'll deserve this slot. If not, expect interest in Wolverine after the next movie and the upcoming announcement. (Wolverine pushes Jean Grey off to the side, though the X-Men time story may shake things up.)

Captain Marvel? Right name, wrong character. Geoff Johns will take the reigns on a solo book for Billy Batson and his foster siblings, which means Billy's going to move up to the main stage at DC. Period.

Stephanie Brown? Yep! Fanboys and fangirls' wet dreams have come true and she'll be back. BUT, I would caution you: Harper Row may give her a run for her money as the new Robin.

Loki? Doubt it. Loki-mania should have come this year and didn't. If you want a character that's going to interest over the year, it will be likely Aquaman at DC, or a new book coming this year that has not been announced yet.

Moon Knight? Are you kidding me???? Name me one Moon Knight book that's ramped up the hype and been talked about. Sorry, but I think this slot will go to the most unexpected cancellation of the year, and we don't know what that is. Alternatively, if you want to focus on creators and books, it ain't gonna be Ellis. It will be whoever takes on Legion Of Super-Heroes with its inevitable return — word has been for a while that DC has a plan for it, and Teen Titans already began hinting that way too.

Negan? Don't read the book, so I won't comment.

Wonder Woman. You betcha.

Magneto? Doubtful. We'll hear the same rumblings again over his presence. The one to watch in this slot is Transformers. Laugh all you want, but film 4 will either make or break the franchise with its new cast and new trajectory. And as anyone who's reading the comics now can tell you, they are really doing well — great reading all around.

Harley Quinn? Yes. Either Harley's going to be zany crazy and everyone will talk, or it will be shocking, or it will be just plain good. There's no room for failure and I suspect DC is really enjoying the pitch that Palmotti & company brought. Moreover, anyone who's read Palmotti's All-Star Western knows that he's got the skill to make a B-character worth reading.

Rocket Raccoon? See my comments above.

and…

Peter Parker? Big yes. Everyone knows he's got to come back some time, and Marvel's got the perfect window to do it. But then again, it's Peter — and everyone loves Peter.

Everything this list said about Bendis understanding Star-Lord is bull.

What, exactly, does "negan magneto" mean?

2. Rocket Raccoon
    As mentioned earlier, the Guardians of the Galaxy will be everywhere in 2014. Longtime fans may soon exist in a surreal reality where grade schoolers are running around with Rocket Raccoon back packs and lunch boxes, because with the Disney marketing machine, things could get crazy. We're talking Pikachu crazy. We're talking a Raccoon with a ray gun becoming the next SpongeBob level of crazy. All this mainstream exposure should raise Rocket's comic book profile as well, so look for him to inch towards the same level of exposure and popularity as some of Marvel's icons. Truly, this is a Golden Age, ready to explode as soon as that first "Guardians" trailer debuts, as which point the world will be conquered by the deadliest cute-and-fuzzy critter in the galaxy.
    Rocket is a cool character, but comic fans/columnists/journalists need to stop assuming that this character will appeal to little kids SOLELY because he is a cute furry talking animal. Furry talking animals are a dime of dozen on both TV and in films, and not all of them automatically appeal to kids. I also think that it shows that many comic book fans/columnists/journalists have a very narrow minded,condescending,and ignorant viewpoint about what types of things appeal to and attract young kids to a comic,movie,or TV show. And yet, many of those same people are the first to make fun of Jar Jar Binks for being a terrible character and a failure to appeal to young kids by not selling any toys or other merchandise to them. Hell, Rocket MIGHT just end up being Marvel's own Jar Jar Binks. Besides, there already is a talking Raccoon who has one over the hearts and minds of people of all ages, and his name is Rigby (and no, I'm not saying that Rigby and Rocket are similar characters because they are both talking Raccoons).

Quote Originally Posted by UnRiel View Post
    My prediction is Moon Knight fails as he always fails to sustain a solo book. I like him in books like Secret Avengers because frankly he is too much work. All these creative teams constantly trying to invent something interesting about him is a waste.

The same goes for Black Widow and Magneto; I don't see these characters sustaining ongoing books.

If I'm wrong, then I'll check them all out later in the year via MCDU app or when they're $.99.
    Quoted because this will most likely turn out being true.