Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Shelf Life - Jan 2, 2014

This week, in a very personal column, Ron Marz reflects on the recent death of his mother, who had suffered from Alzheimer's for the last decade.

Full article here.

Very sorry to hear, Mr. Marz. I hope that soon all that comes to mind are the good memories.

Fraggin' Bastich

Reading each paragraph felt like a punch to my stomach. I need to get back to work.

Don't feel guilty about feeling relief. She's not in pain anymore, and you and your family aren't feeling her pain anymore either.

I'm very sorry for your loss, Ron. May the good memories live as long as you do.

I'm very sorry to hear about the passing of your Mother, Ron. My wife just lost her Mom, this year. She was very good to me and I loved her a lot, so I have some small idea how hard this is for you and your family. I hope you take the time you need to grieve your loss. I'll say a prayer for your Mom tonight.

Best wishes and, again, my condolences.

Bob (from Geoff Johns boards)

This was very hard to read in spots. I too declined to be there when my grandmother died. I was at college and she was three hours away in my hometown. I feel guilty about not being there, but I didn't want to remember her like that.

My condolences and I hope you and your family are able to remember the best and better times with your mother.

i'm so sorry for your loss.
    my grandma is at the hospital right now and doctors say it will happen anytime now.
    i understand how awful it is to remember a person's last moment, we should keep in mind other more significant and happy moments.
    all my love and support.
    Comic Book Deaths 2012
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7SvM6adTeY

Bring back Ultimate DAZZLER!!

I feel the same as the rest of the posters Mr. Marz. I'm very sorry that you and your family had to go through this over the last decade. That is a tough disease to cope with. I wish you and your family peace. I love your work and I'm sure your mother was proud of you.

My own mother was the victim of spousal abuse for 30 plus years at the hands of my father until their divorce and consequently she has a great deal of trouble grasping simple concepts and remembering most things. I find it terrifying at times but I have to take comfort in the fact that it doesn't seem to be progressive. I don't think I could handle a family member with Alzheimers.

Sorry for your loss and I can kinda feel it with you. My father passed away tuesday from stage 4 lung cancer. We buried him yesterday. My son, unlike your youngest, is 19 and remembers his gandfather well. Peace be with you...

I'm sorry to hear it, Ron. Both my paternal grandparents had Alzheimer's. In an effort to help keep my grandmother in her own home, our family pitched in around the clock so someone was with her. Before it became too much, she was confused and combative, not recognizing who we were at all. She was my favorite person and it's sad to think that even though I'll have memories of her from before, my younger sisters might not. I would hate to be remembered for being somebody that I had no control over. Anyway, I can relate and I'm so sorry for your loss.

I am so sorry for your lost Mr. Marz. Losing a love one, especially a mother is a tragic thing to go through and her suffering over Alzheimer's just hurts so much. Once again, I am sorry for your lost.

Thank you all so much for reading, and for your condolences. It's very much appreciated.

Chris Juricich

Ahh. My own mom at 85 passed away from dementia-related circumstances, though it wasn't as long drawn out as in Ron's case. She lived with us for a out 2 years till it was plain with her confusion and forgetfulness that she needed 24 hour care. My mom alone in the house with a stove, bringing water to the imaginary pets in her room, simply wasn't working.

She lived in an assisted living facility for a couple of years and was still aware of me until the past couple of months of her life where the physical ravages of her condition caught up with the mental. After her final return from an emergency hospital visit, she provided me with the one moment of lucidity I would have till she passed a couple of months later where she smiled at me beatifically and said 'Where have YOU been?' And then it was just prolonged sleeping and eventual death surrounded by her caregivers.

I felt relief...and guilt, and eventually shed my tears. I still possess her ashes in my bedroom, sitting on the floor beside my ancient comic book spin rack, waiting for me to get around to dropping her ashes over my father's grave. It's been several months. As an odd aside, I was given a quote to bury her ashes and have her name added to my father's stone and, at nearly $2000, I was so aghast that I opted against it. Funeral industry has you by the balls with your grief and the usurious rates they want to charge for a simple burial--$900 to dig a hole large enough to put a 2 lb bag of coffee into, a 'box' to contain the 'cremains' for a could of hundred $$, etc. outrageous. I plan to sprinkle her ashes simply and alone on my father's gravesite sometime this year. She will have no name cut into my father's stone, alas, but her memory is already carried in the hearts of those who loved her, and that will suffice.

My condolences to you on your loss, but it's something all of us eventually go through, for the most part. We all manage to continue on.