Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR's Top 100 Comics of 2013 - The Master List

From strong perennials like "Daredevil," "Batman" & "Saga" to acclaimed graphic novels including "March" & "The Property" to all-ages hits, look back at the best in 2013 with CBR.

Full article here.

I'm disappointed that Swamp thing, animal man and six-gun gorilla didn't make the list but either way I agree with most placements.
    2013 was a great year for comics

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrCzernik View Post
    I'm disappointed that Swamp thing, animal man and six-gun gorilla didn't make the list but either way I agree with most placements.
    2013 was a great year for comics
    I wanted to see "Watson & Holmes", but there you go.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

A purported list of the 100 Best Comics that does not include Fables is an automatic FAIL. One might as well list the 100 Best Palaces without the Taj Mahal, or the 100 Best U.S. Presidents without Lincoln.

Good list, but Monkeybrain deserved a better showing.
    American Vampire, Atomic Robo, Chew, Fatale, Hoax Hunters, Manhattan Projects, Revival, Saga, The Sixth Gun, The Walking Dead

I got problems with the list.

From a Marvel standpoint, seems pretty focused on certain genres only. I'm not going to argue Hawkeye, but Young Avengers to me is just not there.

Personally, I really love Hickman and Remender's Avengers and think they should be higher on the list.

Jenkins Deathmatch should be on the list, but seeing the other selections I'm not surprised its missing. I really would also give Avengers Arena a bit more credit than this list does. FF would not make my top 100, it had a few decent issues but wasnt there overall.
    Last edited by THANOSRULES; 01-01-2014 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pogofan View Post
    A purported list of the 100 Best Comics that does not include Fables is an automatic FAIL. One might as well list the 100 Best Palaces without the Taj Mahal, or the 100 Best U.S. Presidents without Lincoln.
    While I'm a huge fan, I'm OK with Fables not on there... the last storyline was not one of the strongest... while the current one IS really great, it's still in progress.

Next year, if it doesn't get on there, I'll be upset :)

Totally agree six-gun Gorilla deserves some love, too.
    Like Kyle Rayner? Check out my classic review thread:

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...s-by-Wildfire)

Quote Originally Posted by pogofan View Post
    If your favorite comic isn't on the list then maybe that's a good thing. It opened up a slot for a comic you may have never read. You already know Fables is good, a list telling you the same would accomplish what exactly? Give some new shit a try. I've only read four out of 100 comics on that list and I'm not having a cow over it. I know what I read is good, I'd like to see what I'm not reading that's good too.
    Last edited by dupont2005; 01-01-2014 at 11:03 AM.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

I'm just not seeing Nowhere Men?
    I'm glad that the independents are making more of a serious dent this year.

Quote Originally Posted by dupont2005 View Post
    If your favorite comic isn't on the list then maybe that's a good thing. It opened up a slot for a comic you may have never read. You already know Fables is good, a list telling you the same would accomplish what exactly? Give some new shit a try. I've only read four out of 100 comics on that list and I'm not having a cow over it. I know what I read is good, I'd like to see what I'm not reading that's good too.
    No its a slap in the face. New Avengers generates more discussion on the forums then 90 of the books on the list combined. It also has mid level sales. There are probably another half dozen books in a similar situation. These books deserve a bump.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimates View Post
    No its a slap in the face. New Avengers generates more discussion on the forums then 90 of the books on the list combined. It also has mid level sales. There are probably another half dozen books in a similar situation. These books deserve a bump.
    You're right, some comic readers may have never heard of The Avengers. And I'm sure you've read all 70+ of those indy titles on the list and know for a fact The Avengers is better.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Looking over the list I guess the only title that I'm truly surprised isn't on here is Nowhere Men considering it's received continuous four and five star ratings. Considering all the great indie titles that are on here I'll bet they actually forgot it...

Quote Originally Posted by dupont2005 View Post
    You're right, some comic readers may have never heard of The Avengers. And I'm sure you've read all 70+ of those indy titles on the list and know for a fact The Avengers is better.
    Of course not. But I've read several of the titles. Is this list suppose to represent what most comic book readers, read and discussed? Or is it how CBR staff wished readers, read and discussed? Like Avengers and Batman dont deserve praise if readers are greatly interested in the books.

No its a slap in the face.
    Really? Hyperbolic much?
    - JimmyDee -
    I ain't no hot dog, yo.

Of course not. But I've read several of the titles. Is this list suppose to represent what most comic book readers, read and discussed? Or is it how CBR staff wished readers, read and discussed? Like Avengers and Batman dont deserve praise if readers are greatly interested in the books.
    You obviously haven't read the intros because it's all explained pretty well there.
    - JimmyDee -
    I ain't no hot dog, yo.