Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR's Top 10 Comics of 2013

CBR's countdown of the 100 best comics of the year concludes with breakout all-ages graphic novels to returning serial favorites.

Full article here.

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

Don't get how Storm Dogs wasn't in any part of this 100 list, but ok... huh.

Anyways, some interesting choices for me to check out, mostly on the Indie path.
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

Free Umbra!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Anderson View Post
    Don't get how Storm Dogs wasn't in any part of this 100 list, but ok... huh.

Anyways, some interesting choices for me to check out, mostly on the Indie path.
    Definitely interesting how many indie titles made it, although personally, I was hoping Farlaine the Goblin would make the list:)

We'll just convince ourselves it was #101:)

Studio Farlaine
    http://www.farlaine.com

Great to see Battling Boy and East of West in the top ten. I'd have moved Mind Mgmt up there too but hey.

As for Lazarus, I like it but I do find the "Ooh science bad, leads to apocolypse" vibe to be a bit tiresome. I'd rather have seen Velvet take its spot. And I'd probably have put something utterly obscure yet totally awesome like Copra (appeared at #31) in the top ten as well.

But otherwise, not much to complain about, a pretty great top 100 for a pretty great year in comics.
    “Wonder Woman is a lame superhero...She flies around in her invisible jet and her weaponry is a lasso that makes you tell the truth. I just don’t get it.” -- Megan Fox

Didn't read any of them. Was planning on getting March eventually, and Lazarus looks interesting. Mostly because Rucka is attached.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Interesting list and hit a pretty broad spectrum of the industry's offerings. Can't say I agree with all the choices, but hey, that's the point of these lists, to get people talking about great books, bringing attention to possibly missed gems, inspiring people to try new stuff etc. I had at least sampled 34 of the books on the list (didn't necessarily like all those I tried but I at least sampled them at some point), including everything in the top 10 except March Book One, which I have requested at the local library, so will remedy that soon. I found somewhere between a half dozen and a dozen other books I want to try as well, some I had heard of but not gotten around to, others I had never heard of before. Tastes vary, and it is easy to get trapped by one's own biases and fall into a rut, so it is good to see stuff that might be outside my personal top 10 (or top 20 or top 100 etc.) on here.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Quote Originally Posted by dupont2005 View Post
    Didn't read any of them. Was planning on getting March eventually, and Lazarus looks interesting. Mostly because Rucka is attached.
    March was definitely one of my favorite books of the year, looking forward to the next two volumes. Powerful stuff.

Lazarus has been strong as well, alongside Saga, they are my favorite books from image.
    SPACE FOR RENT!

I'd disagree on Hawkeye at the number one spot. Then again I'd barely place it on a top 25 spot if we count the dialogue, much less number 1. However I'd agree with just going with the art the number 1 spot is well deserved.

Here's hoping we actually get plot movement with the new year as well.

Also

"Matt Fraction was the first to finally develop Hawkeye into a real character in a comic without the word 'Avengers' in the title
    Nicieza. Thunderbolts.
    Last edited by Jeremi; 12-31-2013 at 01:39 PM.

I know that complaining about these lists is pretty pointless, but they really couldn't make room for X-Men Legacy, Six Gun Gorilla, or Storm Dogs?
    Hawkeye, X-Men Legacy, FF, Animal Man, Wonder Woman, Manhattan Projects, Fatale, East of West, Bedlam, Saga, Bandette, Nowhere Men

Aw... no Animal Man or Swamp Thing? Oh well.

I got most of my picks right (amusingly, Lazarus was also number four on my favorite list), but I still don't really get the Hawkeye praise. The art is alright and the pizza dog issue was fine (though the novelty wore out very quickly for me), but I don't get the rest. I also don't get Young Avengers (that series was very corny and sappy at points) and Daredevil as well, but that's me.

Good list overall though I'd put Daredevil ahead of Hawkeye (though it has been fantastic). Not read Young Avengers but I'm tempted seeing as Teen Titans is a travesty and this sounds like what that book should be. Love these lists though, just did a quick Amazon search and managed to grab 10 titles I've not read yet (but sound interesting) for a hefty discount.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
    Douglas Adams

What's this!? Saga did not get number one!? Why, I bet all those masturbating, Star Wars fan fiction fans who put this goddamn book at number one last year are enraged in anger.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Aw... no Animal Man or Swamp Thing? Oh well.

I got most of my picks right (amusingly, Lazarus was also number four on my favorite list), but I still don't really get the Hawkeye praise. The art is alright and the pizza dog issue was fine (though the novelty wore out very quickly for me), but I don't get the rest. I also don't get Young Avengers (that series was very corny and sappy at points) and Daredevil as well, but that's me.
    Totally agree with the bold portion. I truly don't understand all the praise the book gets.

East of West? very cool art and concept

Thats all I'll say about that book.
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

Sometimes I think I am the only nerd on the internet that doesn't care for Saga. I can acknowledge it is well done, but not my cup of tea.

I loved Gene Luen Yang's American Born Chinese, it was brilliant. So I will be checking out Boxers and Saints.