Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default PREVIEW: Superman Unchained, #5

Superman and Wraith form an alliance to rescue a hostage and strike at the heart of Ascension, but the mission goes awry when it becomes clear the Man of Tomorrow and the soldier from beyond the stars have very different methodologies-and objectives! Plus, secrets are revealed about Wraith's people!

Full article here.

I'm still enjoying this book for the popcorn affair it is, but any ambiguity as to Wraith's character -- which, telegraphed fight aside, does actually seem like something Snyder wants to focus on -- was thrown out the window in the first issue with the revelation that he personally destroyed Nagasaki (something I still waffle on being acceptable for fiction or completely distasteful).

Any "mentor with a different set of morals" feelings we're supposed to have toward this character just don't work when we know he's okay murdering some hundred-thousand innocents on command. "Different methodologies" isn't the shocker it should be when Superman should have been looking for ways to neutralize him as soon as they first met.
    Last edited by Bruce Twain; 12-31-2013 at 10:39 PM.

Wraith's a jerk.
    What does CIN mean?

Why do you ask me, you say, I don't know. You should tell me what it means?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Why who woulda thought Lois would look 60 in 10 years. Wow.

I like Superman having this kind-of-mentor-maybe-enemy in his life, trying to get him to see a bigger picture, especially in terms of the passing of time (as this preview shows). It's a complicated borderline relationship that you don't see a lot of with Supes.

Though Lois ages pretty rapidly in ten years, doesn't she? And Perry hung in there pretty long if he died when Lois is ancient.
    The "Son of Batman" movie reminded me of the first reason I hated Grant Morrison's Batman run: Talia raped Batman and got away with it.

Otaku Revolution

Wow, that was brutal. That's been discussed and portrayed before, but we can always count on Snyder's subtlety.

Lois went from like 28 (she's around same age as Clark and he's 27) to like 50 in ten years.

Perry made it to over 100 despite being a heavy drinker, smoker, and having rage issues. Impressive.

Wraith is a dick.
    Action Comics, Batman/Superman, Justice League, Justice League of America, Supergirl, Superman, Superman: Unchained, Superman/Wonder Woman
    I like both SM/WW and Clois, crazy right?

Tactile Telekinesis stephens2177's Avatar

I like all the variant covers here,it's nice to see the Last Son of Krypton version of the Eradicator again.

So how does superman defeat wraith anyway you think?
    Dont mess with the "S"

Mutation is a bitch

Bring back kon-el/Conner kent

Quote Originally Posted by TommyJones1945 View Post
    Wraith's a jerk.
    but a very tall jerk
    COLOSSUS katya nightcrawler storm magik
    http://overpower.ca/tools/battlesites.php
    http://overpower.ca/downloads/
    "down with the machine" bray wyatt

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Why who woulda thought Lois would look 60 in 10 years. Wow.
    She's in a stressful line of work.

Is this book good? I just started Pak and Kuders Action and that is awesome. I want to read more Supes, and I like Snyder. And I'm indifferent about lee. How much longer until they swap artists? The preview looks good. Seems like an interesting plot.
    In PAK We Trust!

Check out my friends Indie Comic Hoods! www.hoodscomic.com

And Check out his Podcast Smashville!

Funny. Lois looks very old at age 67-68 yet Jimmy retains his hair color and looks younger despite that they're the same age in the new 52. Not liking Wraith at all.

Not to mention that Lois looks like 50 in just ten years if she's currently 27.
    "There's always a way. When odds are impossible, do the impossible."
    -Superman, AC #14

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Did Synder even read ANY of the Nu52 Superman stuff? Seems like he's working with his own stuff.

Maybe that's why Lois is 49 and in ten years will be 59. Instead of, you know, a 27 year old who will still be smoking hot in a decade. Oy, Jim Lee...

I just read this issue and thought it was fantastic. This is definitely one of the best Superman series to come along in quite a while. It started off a bit slow, but it really is hitting its stride now. What makes it stand out is just how intricate it is compared to other Superman comics and other DC comics in general. The conversations that take place between the characters in this issue are almost more compelling than any of the action or the threats. Maybe some readers might find that boring, but I think more words really adds depth to the overall story. It helps Wraith be more than just an overpowered monster that Superman has to overcome. He actually makes some very valid points about how Superman lives and how that may fail in the long run. That makes the struggle all the more compelling. I can see how this series might not be for every Superman fan, but I think it brings something unique to the table that makes it special.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I just read this issue and thought it was fantastic. This is definitely one of the best Superman series to come along in quite a while. It started off a bit slow, but it really is hitting its stride now. What makes it stand out is just how intricate it is compared to other Superman comics and other DC comics in general. The conversations that take place between the characters in this issue are almost more compelling than any of the action or the threats. Maybe some readers might find that boring, but I think more words really adds depth to the overall story. It helps Wraith be more than just an overpowered monster that Superman has to overcome. He actually makes some very valid points about how Superman lives and how that may fail in the long run. That makes the struggle all the more compelling. I can see how this series might not be for every Superman fan, but I think it brings something unique to the table that makes it special.
    Couldn't agree more. This is the best Superman since Morrison left Action. I really hope Snyder stays on Unchained so we continue to get intelligent Superman stories