Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default PREVIEW: Aquaman, #26

"Sea of Storms" begins with the debut of new AQUAMAN writer Jeff Parker! The Earth's crust is grinding to life, releasing deadly volcanoes and bizarre creatures...so humanity's first instinct is to blame Atlantis! And as the plates pull apart, the pressures of ruling a kingdom under siege are weighing on Aquaman and Mera as well!
    (via [a href="http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2013/12/30/jeff-parker-aquaman-comic-book-series/4250473/" target="_blank"]USA Today[/a])

Full article here.

so is arthur just not that popular, or are the people of amnesty doing their bit to protect one of their own?

Welp, it looks like all of the Reis's brothers have officially left the book now. Going to have to pass on this title now, especially since the preview wasn't anything special.
    DC/Marvel reader. Mostly Superman,Batman,X-Men,Avengers fan...guess I am a fan of most comics.

I want to see where Jeff Parker is going with this. I followed him on his all-ages stuff - Marvel Adventures Fantastic Four and Spider-Man - and Batman '66. Hopefully, Aquaman will stay cool.

Aquaman is one of the most hit-or-miss characters of all-time for me.

But Jeff Parker is possibly my favorite writer currently doing super-hero comics, so I am there.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'll try this out for Jeff Parker.

I wish he was on a SUPERMAN book.

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    But Jeff Parker is possibly my favorite writer currently doing super-hero comics, so I am there.
    Same here, but the art is seriously lacking in this preview.

I can't wait for Atlas!

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    Aquaman is one of the most hit-or-miss characters of all-time for me.

My thoughts exactly. I'd also say Parker's one of the most underrated comic writers around and I really hope that Batman '66 and this title give him the exposure and credit he really deserves. The guy knows how to get at the essence of characters and he's capable of some very inventive plots that really keep you engaged month after month.

all right, seems cool enough. then again i never had any doubts about Parker's writing abilities.

the only thing that bugs me is that he has to dance around Johns' upcoming Justice League/Aquaman event. i predict Parker's run won't take flight until that is over and done with.

like others already pointed out, the art here seems weaker than usual.
    Last edited by crossbones; 12-31-2013 at 07:05 AM. Reason: grammar

Default Aquaman: Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman4 View Post
    I can't wait for Atlas!
    You got it right here Robotman 4 especially now that we have lost Parkers Agents of Atlas to DC projects like this one.Aquaman fans better treat Parker with the respect Marvel fans never showed him. Better this than Batman '66.

It's a solid enough issue. The Atlantean intrigue still serves as a solid b-plot (with Ocean Master and future Johns stuff lurking in the background of it), but ultimately the rad part is that I jump for joy whenever Aquaman has to battle a Lovecraftian beast or Kaiju. Which he does. Aplenty.

And there's nice self-aware humor, and the dialogue is good. And some standout panels from Pelletier, though not as many as we've had on occasion (but he's always been doing stand up work in that "Reis is an impossible act to follow" milieu.)
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by crossbones View Post
    all right, seems cool enough. then again i never had any doubts about Parker's writing abilities.

the only thing that bugs me is that he has to dance around Johns' upcoming Justice League/Aquaman event. i predict Parker's run won't take flight until that is over and done with.

like others already pointed out, the art here seems weaker than usual.
    Paul Pelletier's art is still in there, it's just not shown in the preview pages, he didn't do all the art in this issue.

Unreasonably Opinionated Conway's Avatar

So far he's kept the story moving without feeling too much of a change. It was a good start to the arc, and I really want to see where this is going. Also, Arthur is showing that you can have a good personal life not be miserable and still be compelling.

This is still one of the best stories the "New" 52 is putting out.