Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default A Wonder for Every Decade: Who Could Have Played Wonder Woman Across the Years?

CBR plays "What if...?" across the years with the women who could have brought Wonder Woman to television and the big screen.

Full article here.

no lucy lawless????

ah nevermind...see shes mentioned with catherine zeta jones...derp!
    Last edited by TimberBear; 12-30-2013 at 08:29 AM.

A late 1990's movie starring Gabrielle Reece at her prime would have been perfect.
    Honestly, when else could you find a 6'3" woman that looked like a supermodel?
    http://mujeresaltasdechile.tumblr.com/page/2

If we had gotten a 2000s Wonder Woman by Joss Whedon, I think it's pretty clear it would have been Cobie Smulders. Whedon liked her when she was on her short list for Wonder Woman so much they he made her Maria Hill.

Additionally, Charisma Carpenter and Whedon had a following out towards the end of Angel.

My give a damn's busted. KevinTBrown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marvelite2000 View Post
    A late 1990's movie starring Gabrielle Reece at her prime would have been perfect.
    Honestly, when else could you find a 6'3" woman that looked like a supermodel?
    http://mujeresaltasdechile.tumblr.com/page/2
    People, before clicking on that link, please note it is NSFW! There is nudity.

Thanks a lot for the head's up.......
    The floggings will continue until morale improves. ~ anonymous

Everybody has a right to have an opinion, no matter how wrong they might be.

Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives. ~ John Stuart Mill

No Monica Bellucci?

I would also select Famke Jansson and Jennifer Connelly. Damn, Marvel took all the actresses who woulda made an awesome Wonder Woman.

Catherine Zeta-Jones: I couldn't agree more. She was nearly perfect back then in terms of beauty. She could've used a more athletic physique, though.

Charisma Carpenter: An interesting possibility, at the very least.

The rest would have been very interesting. Particularly as a whole, as it would have a created a tradition of Wonder Woman movies spanning decades. That would make it a bit easier to make a WW movie now. It would show that it is possible to make a movie even if it's not perfect. Even if it's hated by a lot of viewers, another can be made in a few years. And then another and so on.
    "Corruptus In Extremis"

I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library. Jorge Luis Borges

"Omne animal triste est post coitum"

The omission of any mention of Angelina Jolie from this article is borderline insane. She's got the right look, she's won an Oscar, and has had plenty of action-movie roles. I don't know whether you'd call her 1990's or 2000's, but she'd have been a better choice than either Catherine Zeta-Jones or Charisma Carpenter.

like Christopher Reeve as Superman, Carter was so perfect as Wonder Woman
    Neither of these things are true.
    The "Son of Batman" movie reminded me of the first reason I hated Grant Morrison's Batman run: Talia raped Batman and got away with it.

Otaku Revolution

Catherine Zeta-Jones would indeed have been the perfect choice, in my opinion. She has a sense of regality! (And the acting / action chops!)
    Loved the author's assessment of Lynda Carter! She was, is, and always will be the ultimate WW....and if she doesn't get a cameo in the flick as Hippolyta, I think fandom should RIOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Kolymar View Post
    Charisma Carpenter: An interesting possibility, at the very least.
    Charisma has a nerd/geek streak a mile long, she would like this. If they go ahead with a "amazon" show, Charisma should be cast as Hippolyta. She is very queen like.

Bettie Page and Diana Rigg are perfect!
    They would be responsibly for every male alive losing their virginity.
    Boing! Boing! Boing!

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

I remember the first time I laid eyes on Catherine Zeta-Jones as a kid, I thought she looked like Wonder Woman. Man, was she a sight to behold. And she still looks great.
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

Free Umbra!

Great White North Brian from Canada's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by penguintruth View Post
    Neither of these things are true.
    Tell that to both industries involved. In the recent documentary Superheroes, someone says that the only reason Superman: The Movie was successful was that Reeves was completely believable not only as the bumbling Clark and charismatic Superman but that it was done in scenes that made you believe he could do it all. By contrast, George Reeve's Clark was a stuffed shirt who didn't really hide Superman qualities, Dean Cain was using the same charm in both roles, and Tom Welling didn't really use the Superman persona throughout Smallville. (Don't get me started on Man Of Steel, since that ain't Superman.)

As for Wonder Woman, the documentary on the Wonder Woman season one DVD set explains it clearly: you have actresses who are beautiful but can't do the athletics, and athletes who can do the stunts but not act with the charm required. Lynda Carter was the only actress who checked off both boxes, and she had a smile, charm and charisma that immediately made you love her and root for her. The fact that Diana's portrayal has been inconsistent over the last few decades doesn't take away from the fact that Wonder Woman is an extremely difficult character to cast.