Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Marvel Suspends Periodical Distribution to Barnes & Noble, Books-A-Million

Marvel has reportedly stopped distributing its periodical comics to Barnes & Noble and Books-A-Million.

Full article here.

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

How much of the newsstand business is left, without these two chains?

I guess what I'm asking is, is this a significant shift in terms of how Marvel approaches the newsstand (as Bleeding Cool is suggesting), or is it just about their relationships with Barnes & Noble and Books-A-Million?
    Expletive Deleted

Barnes & Noble is going out business & can't pay their bills,so MARVEL wants nothing to do with them!
    Pull list: Almost every Marvel book, Age of Bronze, Captain Midnight, some Dynamite & Image. I AM DC COMIC FREE!

I work at a BAM, and we actually stopped receiving new Marvel books a month or two ago, and only last week heard confirmation that we wouldn't carry them any longer. This article clears up some of the confusion we had. (Anecdotally speaking, my own store stocked twice as many Marvel books as DC, and sold that many as well.)

Congratulations Comic Book industry you have managed to shoot yourself in the foot again.

Latverian Tourism Bureau Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maidman View Post
    Barnes & Noble is going out business & can't pay their bills,so MARVEL wants nothing to do with them!
    They are??? that sucks. Borders and B&N gone will leave me only with BAM. I hope they don't go out of business too! And never mind comics....both stores carry a wide variety of magazines that you can't find just any any drug store or grocery store.
    "...Doom's enemies have not the mettle to challenge him host to host, tooth to nail... As economic and military options fail them, they resort to simple rudeness."

Reports of Barnes and Noble's demise are, so far, premature.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

In the end fans are the ones who lose the most in this situation.
    Not a good news.
    Say No to decompressed storytelling!

Bellechere for the win!!!

European Union: XXI Century New USSR
    I am anti-EU

Quote Originally Posted by Sonofspam View Post
    Congratulations Comic Book industry you have managed to shoot yourself in the foot again.
    Not necessarily. Marvel has a huge presence in BAM stores via the company-wide merchandise guidelines, so the loss of a fairly small part of their product line is no big deal. I can still point customers to a huge supply of graphic novels, (many of which are discounted), movies, electronics, action figures, clothing, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    They are??? that sucks. Borders and B&N gone will leave me only with BAM. I hope they don't go out of business too! And never mind comics....both stores carry a wide variety of magazines that you can't find just any any drug store or grocery store.
    2013 was a banner year for the company, with a huge increase in sales above projections in most regions. Exact facts will be available when the Q4 public investor report is published, but at this moment, BAM is doing fine.

The other side to that, compared to B&N, is the question of scale. There are a lot fewer of us than there is B&N, which means that activities like store closings and downsizing, which may be proportionally minor to the B&N corporation as a whole, seem larger to observers. I know B&N has closed many stores this past year, but I don't know if that's endemic of a company-wide problem, or simply shutting down a few unprofitable locations to redirect resources to more profitable ones.

Straight Edge

Quote Originally Posted by E. Wilson View Post
    I work at a BAM, and we actually stopped receiving new Marvel books a month or two ago, and only last week heard confirmation that we wouldn't carry them any longer. This article clears up some of the confusion we had. (Anecdotally speaking, my own store stocked twice as many Marvel books as DC, and sold that many as well.)
    Any idea how many issues your store sells a month? I stopped by my local B&N every so often to flip through some titles I don't buy and I was always curious what type of sales they do. Not that I go there often, but I never see anyone looking at them.
    CaptainAmerica Hawkeye Avengers NewAvengers UncannyAvengers AvengersWorld

So other companies are still shipping to Books-a-Million? it's just Marvel that stopped?

Well, at least I'll still be able to get my regular issues of Megaman.
    Highly Evolved Creature Totally Orientated on Revenge.

DC still has books at Toys-R-Us, at least the last time I was there (about a year ago).

I work at Toys R Us. They still do.

Exactly which DC books we gets tends to change on a regualr basis, but we still get them.
    Highly Evolved Creature Totally Orientated on Revenge.

I didn't realize they did stock monthlies at B&N. I've only ever seen trades.

Quote Originally Posted by YouthofToday View Post
    Any idea how many issues your store sells a month? I stopped by my local B&N every so often to flip through some titles I don't buy and I was always curious what type of sales they do. Not that I go there often, but I never see anyone looking at them.
    None of our comics from any publisher seem to move very quickly, which is why it wouldn't surprise me if low sales are the motivating factor behind Marvel's decision.