Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: The Saviors, #1

"The Saviors" #1 from James Robinson and J. Bone is beautiful and has promise but the beginning is a slog of exposition.

Full review here.

Okay, did anyone read this comic besides me? I agree with this review (though my score was a touch higher) for the most part.

I think it has a lot of potential and seems interesting so far, but I hope the next issue speeds things up a tiny bit.

Powered By Gravity Skyjumpermike's Avatar

Just picked it up today. I liked it. It seems like it will be easy to follow and interesting. The art is different from anything else I follow at the moment. Sometimes I enjoy really complex and detailed worlds and stories like East of West, But I really enjoy stories like this, that I don't think I'll have too much to remember the next time I pick up issue two a month from now. Shoule be a fun book.

I really liked the "Exposition with Tomas and a lizzard" program at the begining of the issue. It wasn't "amateur", it was theatrical and I enjoyed it a lot a lot. There is always more than one way to skin a cat, and I felt like I knew and liked Tomas Ramirez and Passburg after that bit. Which is a lot more than I dare to say about most series debuts.

I predict that in ten o twelve months this is going to be a critical darling. And I hope it'll become a comercial sucess too.
    Saga, Zero, Chew, Prophet, Lazarus, Fatale, Sex Criminals, The Fuse, Rat Queens, Great Pacific, Umbral, Peter Panzerfaust, Copra, Rachel Rising, Mind MGMT, BPRD, Lobster Johnson.

Just read it... I thought it was decent... I little slow, but an intriguing start. I'll probably get the next issue :)
    Like Kyle Rayner? Check out my classic review thread:

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...s-by-Wildfire)

Really enjoyed it the art was just stand out. It's sort of front-loading the exposition, but I see a lot of potential in the initial set-up.

Powered By Gravity Skyjumpermike's Avatar

I just read an interview with the creators. It sounds like they are going to introduce a large cast, and nobody is safe from getting killed (well, almost nobody). The story will also be heading to Paris at some point. I'm excited for this book.

government's watching you matt levin's Avatar
    western Massachusetts, USA; rural, river valley

First off, Iím really glad itís black and white. Iíve been doing some massive re-readings to supplement my now-generally ď4-colorĒ new comics: Jack Staff, Colonia, the 200-plus issues of Usagi Yojimbo, black-and-whites, all, just for (well, great comics and--) that black and white sensibility.

I like the pace, slow and easy starting, and it made the rush toward the end seem even more vital.

I'm a little tired of the 'aliens-in-disguise invasion' trope, but it's always in the telling that these stories succeed or fail, and the telling here seems off to a good, solid start. Have most often enjoyed J. Bone's artwork--heh, have a JBone Poison Ivy page on my wall at home, even!--and I like it here, too. Robinson's story-telling has been either/or for me, but I'm glad to take the ol' wait and see approach for several issues at least.

Heh: just another Image title I'm glad I've subscribed to!
    Walking Man Comics

Age/Bronze-A.S.Westrn-AstroCity-Amelia-CourtneyC.-Brody'sGhost-DD-Dial H-Fables-Fatale-Fell-Goon-Groo-Hellboy-Mudman-NextWave-Rocketeer-StarDrop-Thief-Usagi-Wolff/Byrd-Unwritten

The bit at the beginning is awkward, but I responded to it on a personal level, mainly because I live in PHX and lizards are always coming around during the summer. They usually hang out on trees, fences, walls, etc. I've found myself talking to them. Not in a biographical mode, but more this and that. Sometimes about women.

Being new to comics, I only picked this up because Tomas resembles someone I worked with at a hot dog restaurant.

I think this series has solid potential. I'm also digging in it in the same way as Skydivermike- pretty much everything I read is in color, and it's nice, but can anyone recommend other enjoyable black and white series?

Right now I'm finding it hard to find a good B&W on-going series, BUT--! I am currently rereading two old favorites, both of which are readily available as trades: Jack Staff, by Paul Grist, a sort-of super-hero/weird-worlds story, and Colonia, by Jeff Nicholson, an 'alternative history' story of weirdness and pirates in not-our-Florida (comparable perhaps to the new series "Manifest Destiny"). Other GREAT, older series include Paul Grist's (rather more straight-forward) police detective, Kane, Dave Sim's monumental Cerebus, Wendy Pini's Elfquest (if you're into cute but lethal Elves), and if you're intersted in manga, I recommend Osamu Tezuka's bio of Buddah, Lone Wolf and Cub by Kazuo Koike & Gosei Kojima, a vast historical samurai story, Takehiko Inoue's Vagabond (another samurai historical), Max Collins' gangster story, Road to Perdition.... I really like B&W, so I'd better stop here, but there're LOTS of great B&W comics out there in trade format..! Good luck, happy searching!
    Walking Man Comics

Age/Bronze-A.S.Westrn-AstroCity-Amelia-CourtneyC.-Brody'sGhost-DD-Dial H-Fables-Fatale-Fell-Goon-Groo-Hellboy-Mudman-NextWave-Rocketeer-StarDrop-Thief-Usagi-Wolff/Byrd-Unwritten

OMG--how could I have 'forgotten' Stan Sakai's Usagi Yojimbo!!? THE best, top of my list, comic series, currently on hiatus, but with decades (really) of past issues all collected in on-the-shelves trades, and a new series of Usagi stories (well, really a continuation) due later this year.
    Walking Man Comics