Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Origin II, #1

Picking up where "Wolverine: Origin" left off, Kieron Gillen and Adam Kubert's "Origin II" #1 finds a tranquil Logan living in the forest with a sense of serenity that isn't destined to last long.

Full review here.

3 stars? IT SHOULD HAVE 5 STARS!

Notice that the bear has a tag showing it belonging to Nathaniel Essex. Posit that the narrator is Sinister himself, watching an experiment unfold. Realize that this pattern, family torn apart by a predator followed by revenge, has been the pattern of Logan's entire life. Speculate how Sabertooth and Sinister fit into the pattern/experiment.

Then appreciate this issue that much more.

Quote Originally Posted by purplevit View Post
    3 stars? IT SHOULD HAVE 5 STARS!
    The reviewer probably didn't took it from the point of view of the wolves,bears and animals stories .
    This issue was okay , the lone wolf truly picked my curiosity, and indeed, as stated before, it's a clue of Sinister's implicatIon in this story. Robert's art was truly beautiful, through,I found it unequal , same for Frank Martin's colors
    @MahaRan : You're right actually ! Man I'm so hyped for next issue !

Adam Kuberts art was excellent this issue. and while im not a Kieron Gillan fan boy like alot on this board he did a good job with story. Its simple but pulls you in. I love that we started off with only narriation instead of Logan talking. after all he is more animal then man right now and it was great to see the Wolf Pack do thier thing. Sinister already having a presence was cool and using a polor bear to study the Wolfish Man was great
    X-men,Wolverine,Spider-Man,Invaders,Nick Fury Sr,Black Widow,Cap BUcky

All I can do is shake my head at this review. 3 stars for this? Really!?

This is a beautifully drawn, amazingly colored, finely worded comic. It deserves nothing less than 5 stars.
    Last edited by Scarlet-Batman; 12-27-2013 at 10:15 PM.

The art was stunning, the red juxtaposed against all the white of the snow and the bear is still with me.

"Although it provides a solid foundation and a natural transition, this pricey new installment simply doesn't distinguish itself from the multiple "Wolverine" titles already on the shelf in any new, startling way."

The review nailed the essence of the issue with this single line. Totally agree with his views.

Quote Originally Posted by MahaRaj View Post
    Notice that the bear has a tag showing it belonging to Nathaniel Essex. Posit that the narrator is Sinister himself, watching an experiment unfold. Realize that this pattern, family torn apart by a predator followed by revenge, has been the pattern of Logan's entire life. Speculate how Sabertooth and Sinister fit into the pattern/experiment.

Then appreciate this issue that much more.
    I noticed the tag but for some reason i was thinking there might be an Essex in Canada (i feel really stupid now)

I'm surprised at how much acclaim there is for this issue on here considering most people didn't care for the previous installment i didn't have high hopes to begin with.

If Sinister is in this it might become more interesting, or more convoluted.

I liked that the review mentioned that this felt like a nature documentary which is a neat idea for a comic book but nature documentaries tend to bore the crap out of me much like this issue which didn't really do much of anything.

Didn't the end of the first Origin have Logan/James and Rose in a relationship and he was working at some kind of mill?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonofspam View Post
    I noticed the tag but for some reason i was thinking there might be an Essex in Canada (i feel really stupid now)

I'm surprised at how much acclaim there is for this issue on here considering most people didn't care for the previous installment i didn't have high hopes to begin with.

If Sinister is in this it might become more interesting, or more convoluted.

I liked that the review mentioned that this felt like a nature documentary which is a neat idea for a comic book but nature documentaries tend to bore the crap out of me much like this issue which didn't really do much of anything.

Didn't the end of the first Origin have Logan/James and Rose in a relationship and he was working at some kind of mill?
    James and Rose were close but Rose was in a relationship with the quarry foreman Smitty. at the end of the first Origin Logan was in a fight With his brother Dog Rose trying to Stop it ran into Logans extended Bone claws and died Causing Logan to withdraw from humanity and retreat into the woods with A Wolf pack
    X-men,Wolverine,Spider-Man,Invaders,Nick Fury Sr,Black Widow,Cap BUcky

The art was beautiful, but this issue was decompressed to an unbelievable degree. This should have been the first five pages of a comic book in which something happened. I'm not surprised though, since I've been consistently bored to tears by every Kieron Gillen comic I've ever read. What is the appeal of this writer? I'm half way to believing that people just love him because he isn't Matt Fraction.

Quote Originally Posted by LightningBug View Post
    The art was beautiful, but this issue was decompressed to an unbelievable degree. This should have been the first five pages of a comic book in which something happened. I'm not surprised though, since I've been consistently bored to tears by every Kieron Gillen comic I've ever read. What is the appeal of this writer? I'm half way to believing that people just love him because he isn't Matt Fraction.
    Young Avengers is probably one of the best teen superhero comics ever.

Fraction has had a pretty great year too with Hawkeye and Sex Criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonofspam View Post
    Fraction has had a pretty great year too with Hawkeye and Sex Criminals.
    Don't get me wrong. I'm a pretty big fan of Fraction. He's just gotten lots of hate on boards over the years, especially when he was coming off of Uncanny, and Gillen was jumping on.

I didn't make it very far into Young Avengers. I'll give Gillen props because the issues I read were a lot more exciting than what he usually offers. However, I gave more credit to Jamie Mckelvie for that. I could most likely be persuaded to read the rest of the run, especially because it's so short, and has gotten such high praise. But even his highly praised work usually puts me to sleep.
    Last edited by LightningBug; 12-28-2013 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LightningBug View Post
    Different strokes for different folks.

I didn't feel like this comic was that decompressed, since so much of it was about showing Logan in his natural environment.