Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Truman Turns "King Conan" Into "The Conqueror"

"King Conan" writer Tim Truman discusses what's in store for the hero in "The Conqueror" miniseries as he strives to regain his throne.

Full article here.

This will read good in trade.
    New Avengers*Unity* Shadowman* RAI* TRANSFORMERS* MILES MORALES

I don't know what happened at Dark Horse or with the Conan estate that had Truman pulled off the monthly series. When Truman left, I remember a post of his or something in an interview where is said that changes for the book were coming from the top somewhere and it wasn't his choice to leave the monthly, but that Dark Horse was going to continue to keep him involved in Conan's world. And as we've seen, it's been Conan's king years. With that said, I really enjoyed Truman's run. I loved the way he told the narrative and loved his dialogue. Tomas Giorello is a fantastic artist and has really made his mark on this series like Cary Nord before him. Sadly since Giorello left the monthlies, there hasn't been someone IMO that hasn't had that huge impact impression. I'm glad Truman and Giorello are still a part of Conan in some fashion, but I'm worried a bit for the monthly title with the new creative team (guessing it comes out April since no March solicits) since Wood's run has been up and down as well as the art teams. I just haven't been pleased with Conan like I was with Waid/Nord and Truman/Giorello. I hope what they have coming next is good because they need something stronger than what they've had going.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronJS View Post
    I don't know what happened at Dark Horse or with the Conan estate that had Truman pulled off the monthly series. When Truman left, I remember a post of his or something in an interview where is said that changes for the book were coming from the top somewhere and it wasn't his choice to leave the monthly, but that Dark Horse was going to continue to keep him involved in Conan's world. And as we've seen, it's been Conan's king years. With that said, I really enjoyed Truman's run. I loved the way he told the narrative and loved his dialogue. Tomas Giorello is a fantastic artist and has really made his mark on this series like Cary Nord before him. Sadly since Giorello left the monthlies, there hasn't been someone IMO that hasn't had that huge impact impression. I'm glad Truman and Giorello are still a part of Conan in some fashion, but I'm worried a bit for the monthly title with the new creative team (guessing it comes out April since no March solicits) since Wood's run has been up and down as well as the art teams. I just haven't been pleased with Conan like I was with Waid/Nord and Truman/Giorello. I hope what they have coming next is good because they need something stronger than what they've had going.
    I know what you mean. I won't read any Conan unless it's by Truman and Giorello. And I really miss that on a monthly basis. I know Dark Horse's strategy with Star Wars was ongoing publication of limited series only, either continuing stories or not. Then that trend seemed to carry over to the Conan line. However over the past year they diverged away from that by bringing out Wood's ongoing Conan and Star Wars titles. So saying all that who knows what vision the publisher has now moving forward. I think with the limited series type publishing model the advantages are it translates nicely to trade and it gives the creative team a breather between series. However I think they're shooting themselves in the foot with this idea because it drives readers away from single issues, meaning they'll just wait for the trade. Not to mention the series loses momentum and really has less of an impact, thus decreasing interest and sales. Just my theory is all.
    Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
    - Marcus Aurelius

Those images don't look very "Truman-esque". Bear in mind that last time I saw Truman's work was ten years ago on the DC Helix imprint on a title called "The Black Lamb".
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

i've quite enjoyed King Conan so far, it's probably the closest thing to classic old school Conan we'll get from Dark Horse. and the art is great!

I agree... Wood's Conan tells a good story, but it's not really Conan, somehow.. the 1st half was quite good...looking forward to the rest.
    Like Kyle Rayner? Check out my classic review thread:

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...s-by-Wildfire)