LMO Ft. Rage

Media
    Mediabook CD + DVD

Genre
    Symphonic Metal

Release Years: 2013

Rating
    9.5/10

This is the side project from the German band Rage.
    I was disappointed with the last Rage album. The straight Power Metal without flare is nothing but a bad memory,
    as the band returns to their Symphonic side. When it's LMO, I expect great orchestrations,
    melodic vocals from Peavy and blazing guitar solos from Smolski. Here we get all that, plus as a bonus
    Smolski pulls of some incredible keyboard solos, as well. This variation of the band, and it's probably the biggest difference
    between the two, also has a set of female singers. They mostly just tag along,
    but their voices provide a nice balance to Peavy's rasp tone.
    The songs stand memorable after a single listening.

5. Jake Bugg - Shangri La

Only a year after his self titled debut album Jake Bugg delivers us his second album already. Recipe for disaster? I don't think so. The young singer/songwriter delivers us another killer rock album with Shangri La, named after the studios the album was recorded in. There's a nice mix again of up-tempo songs and ballads, but I think the ballads overall a little more up-tempo too when compared to the debut album. And the up-tempo tracks are filled with more electric guitars. It's quite amazing to think young Mr. Bugg is only 19 years old, and is able to give us so many good songs. I'm very much looking forward to hearing more from him in the future. Stand out tracks for me are Slumville Sunrise, All Your Reasons and Simple Pleasures. Shangri La is a worthy addition to any record collection.

Check out the hilarious video to Slumville Sunrise:

Apart from the lyrics and the singing I actually quite enjoyed that Cleansed By Fire tune Artycool8or. The choir is pretty good though. Very melodic song.

Oh, yes, Shangri La is one excellent album. The fact that it came out so soon after his debut, just tells me that he's a productive young gentleman; with so much good music up his sleeve, he can release an album every year as far as I'm concerned.

I might get arrested by the Good Taste Police for this, but here goes...

5: 'Blurred Lines', Robin Thicke

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blurredlines.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	123842

This album's lead single has divided audiences at the cause of the controversial video as well as its lyrics, not to mention Thicke himself has something of a reputation. But I bought the album based on the strengths of Thicke's previous work.
    Now if one goes by the lead single, one might expect song after song of racy innuendo, but Thicke already did that 4 years ago when he released Sex Therapy. Blurred Lines is, thankfully, not like that. It's an up-tempo record, safe for the love ballad '4 The Rest Of My Life', but interestingly enough, while Thicke's previous up-tempo output mainly referenced late '60s and early '70s Motown, on this album, the strongest influences are '80s disco- and it works! The album is just under 40 minutes long, but it is very balanced, and features some tongue-in-cheek humour in the lyrics.

One of my favourite songs on this is 'Ain't No Hat 4 That':

Lowe/Piece/Understatement Artycool8or's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MartinNL View Post
    5. Jake Bugg - Shangri La
    Check out the hilarious video to Slumville Sunrise:
    I liked the video, and the song ain't bad either.
    Singer/Songwriters had great influence on me, but mostly the best of the best from the old days.
    Funny thing is that they are all (without exception) older than I am. What attracted me to this genre, was the lyrics.
    Somehow, I was enchanted with their wisdom rather than the music itself, and found the slower songs to fit my taste better.
    Jake represent the new generation (one I know nothing about) and I see very little wisdom in his lyrics, (on this song) yet I like the humorous nature and the up-tempo take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Artycool8or View Post
    I liked the video, and the song ain't bad either.
    Singer/Songwriters had great influence on me, but mostly the best of the best from the old days.
    Funny thing is that they are all (without exception) older than I am. What attracted me to this genre, was the lyrics.
    Somehow, I was enchanted with their wisdom rather than the music itself, and found the slower songs to fit my taste better.
    Jake represent the new generation (one I know nothing about) and I see very little wisdom in his lyrics, (on this song) yet I like the humorous nature and the up-tempo take on it.
    His lyrics are mostly about what he experienced while growing up in the British version of "the projects". So in Slumville Sunrise he sings the place is not for him, and he dreams of getting out of there, but his friends ignore him.

In Messed Up Kids he sings about a friend dealing blow on the street corner, where beautiful girls like Jenny walk the streets, who got kicked out of her home, now selling her body. Depsite the girls being beautiful they've got eyes that sit dark in their sockets. Quite sad really.

I agree he doesn't bring us much news or insight, perhaps that will come in the future when he gets a little older. But he knows how to show us societal problems and how you can dream them away.

If you generally like the slower songs of those singe/songwriters you might want to check Jake's albums out on spotify or sth to listen to those.