Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Yost's "Scarlet Spider" Web-Swings Over to "New Warriors"

Chris Yost looks back at his run on "Scarlet Spider" and how the finale impacts Kaine Parker's role in the upcoming "New Warriors" series.

Full article here.

Speedball and Justice continue to look like teenagers even tho there full grown adults.

I'm gonna miss you Scarlet Spidey.

Sounds like its going to be a really fun book to read

I do think with the new Nova there needs to be some kind of age difference between him and Scarlet Spider and Speedball and Justice. The cover makes them all look the same age.

I can't wait to see this title, especially with Sam and Kaine on the line-up. I like that it's a team made up of individuals who would either be loners or who should be on teams like the avengers, the Inhumans or the X-men. Also, I'm betting the sea is red because of the new Atlantean member of the team.

Scarlet Spider was one of my favorite titles of the past few years. I've never read a New Warriors book before, but will be reading this one. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Trevel8182 View Post
    Speedball and Justice continue to look like teenagers even tho there full grown adults.
    I get what you're saying, but this is kind of the way it has to be for Marvel. They're a business. These characters are their bread & butter. The longer a character is around, the less likely they are to change with any degree of permanence. It has to be this way. That's why we all know that Peter Parker will be back eventually. That's why Wolverine being "killable" won't be permanent status quo. Ideally, these are character which will entertain our children and theirs as they once did us.

Speedball has been around since 1988. Should he age normally, he'd probably be 40 or so. That's fine if you grew up reading his adventures. However, if you [Marvel] are trying to lure in the next generation of readers, this just won't work. A 14 year old can't relate to the personal issues of somebody 26 years his senior. Marvel has to roll back the clock or freeze it on these characters at a certain point. Go back and look at how they've done it to other characters.

Spider-Man: Once had his wife miscarry, thus keeping him from being a father figure. Marriage erased by OMD, returning him to a younger status quo.
    Fantastic Four: Franklin has been around since 1968, but is still only 6 or 7.
    Wolverine: Has/had a healing factor that made him nearly immortal.
    Nick Fury: Has/had the Infinity formula that slowed down his aging.
    Iron Man: Had his origin tweaked from the Vietman War to Gulf War.
    Captain America: Frozen in ice for decades AND has a slower aging process due to the super soldier serum.
    Magneto: A Holocaust survivor, yet remains years younger after having once been de-aged by Alpha the Ultimate Mutant
    Magik: Started off as 6yo, aged in Limbo up by 7 years more, aged up slowly to about 16, replaced with her 6yo self, died, rebooted to ~16yo (younger than her now 20yo friends).
    Jean Grey: Started as a teen, grew to ~30yo, killed multiple times, brought back as a time displaced teenager.
    Thor: Asgardian god of thunder
    Jubilee: Teen mutant now an unaging vampire
    Dr. Strange: Kept apparently younger due to mystic arts

You can keep playing this game for nearly all of their characters. The alternative is for Marvel to go the DC route and reboot their universe every few decades. Frankly, this is the route that I'd prefer, but Marvel prefers to play with the concept of elastic time. It works out better in some cases than others, but it's what they've got to do to keep the characters recognizable. With them being so heavily invested in TV and movies, you really can't blame them. If they ever decided to one day do something with Speedball outside of the comics, this tactic will make more sense. It's an ugly term, "corporate synergy" is what it's all about these days.

Quote Originally Posted by cookepuss View Post
    I get what you're saying, but this is kind of the way it has to be for Marvel. They're a business. These characters are their bread & butter. The longer a character is around, the less likely they are to change with any degree of permanence. It has to be this way. That's why we all know that Peter Parker will be back eventually. That's why Wolverine being "killable" won't be permanent status quo. Ideally, these are character which will entertain our children and theirs as they once did us.

Speedball has been around since 1988. Should he age normally, he'd probably be 40 or so. That's fine if you grew up reading his adventures. However, if you [Marvel] are trying to lure in the next generation of readers, this just won't work. A 14 year old can't relate to the personal issues of somebody 26 years his senior. Marvel has to roll back the clock or freeze it on these characters at a certain point. Go back and look at how they've done it to other characters.

Spider-Man: Once had his wife miscarry, thus keeping him from being a father figure. Marriage erased by OMD, returning him to a younger status quo.
    Fantastic Four: Franklin has been around since 1968, but is still only 6 or 7.
    Wolverine: Has/had a healing factor that made him nearly immortal.
    Nick Fury: Has/had the Infinity formula that slowed down his aging.
    Iron Man: Had his origin tweaked from the Vietman War to Gulf War.
    Captain America: Frozen in ice for decades AND has a slower aging process due to the super soldier serum.
    Magneto: A Holocaust survivor, yet remains years younger after having once been de-aged by Alpha the Ultimate Mutant
    Magik: Started off as 6yo, aged in Limbo up by 7 years more, aged up slowly to about 16, replaced with her 6yo self, died, rebooted to ~16yo (younger than her now 20yo friends).
    Jean Grey: Started as a teen, grew to ~30yo, killed multiple times, brought back as a time displaced teenager.
    Thor: Asgardian god of thunder
    Jubilee: Teen mutant now an unaging vampire
    Dr. Strange: Kept apparently younger due to mystic arts

You can keep playing this game for nearly all of their characters. The alternative is for Marvel to go the DC route and reboot their universe every few decades. Frankly, this is the route that I'd prefer, but Marvel prefers to play with the concept of elastic time. It works out better in some cases than others, but it's what they've got to do to keep the characters recognizable. With them being so heavily invested in TV and movies, you really can't blame them. If they ever decided to one day do something with Speedball outside of the comics, this tactic will make more sense. It's an ugly term, "corporate synergy" is what it's all about these days.
    I prefer this to DC's way. Though I don't necessarily agree with all their choices, but what the hey. I just prefer the adult characters in general, and it doesn't fry my brain as much. So Iron Man could be anywhere from his Early 30's to Mid 40's without missing a step, Doc Strange could be mid 40's too, same with Reed Richards. Tony has had extremis as well, who know what that did to his aging process. So they can play this game fairly easily. It doesn't work as well with the young adult characters but since I don't care as much about them, I can let it slide. (Cyclops is clearly a grown man- though he started off as a teen with Spidey- so why is Spidey still an early twenty something? Because- Comics!)

Honestly have a really good vibe about this book from the interview...Yost seems to really get it, espec. the concept and whole marvel concept, but mostly him saying FabNic's run was somewhat of the template...love it.

Really looking forward to this book...the setting in eastern Europe intrigues the heck out of me, seems like it will be a worldwide book with unlimited story potential. TO me it seems like they have a solid creative staff, team and concept for the New Warriors finally again.

Yeah, I have to disagree with Yost, comparing Kaine to Daredevil, considering DD's attempt at not fully confronting his past actions and maybe ignoring them in a unhealthy way.

New Member Agent Venom \Winter Soldier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THANOSRULES View Post
    Honestly have a really good vibe about this book from the interview...Yost seems to really get it, espec. the concept and whole marvel concept, but mostly him saying FabNic's run was somewhat of the template...love it.

Really looking forward to this book...the setting in eastern Europe intrigues the heck out of me, seems like it will be a worldwide book with unlimited story potential. TO me it seems like they have a solid creative staff, team and concept for the New Warriors finally again.

This. I love how host and nicieza always take turns on characters Red Robin @ DC and now New Warriors @ marvel. Looking forward to this.

So, why are the New Warriors going to be stationed in Europe? Interesting choice of location, by the way. This series begs the question, can you have two blue skinned females on one team?
    Last edited by protege; 12-26-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Spider of the Shadows Assassin Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zagreus View Post
    I prefer this to DC's way. Though I don't necessarily agree with all their choices, but what the hey. I just prefer the adult characters in general, and it doesn't fry my brain as much. So Iron Man could be anywhere from his Early 30's to Mid 40's without missing a step, Doc Strange could be mid 40's too, same with Reed Richards. Tony has had extremis as well, who know what that did to his aging process. So they can play this game fairly easily. It doesn't work as well with the young adult characters but since I don't care as much about them, I can let it slide. (Cyclops is clearly a grown man- though he started off as a teen with Spidey- so why is Spidey still an early twenty something? Because- Comics!)
    Also because Cyclops has been given clearly, unambiguously adult responsibilities and generally been forced to grow up faster, at least mentally and psychologically speaking, to deal with those responsibilities than Spider-Man has. Furthermore, Cyclops hasn't had so many people in charge of his creative direction who are nostalgic for his teen years the way a lot of people at Marvel who've handled Spider-Man's creative direction seem to still be pining for his early days. Of course, given that Spider-Man was immensely popular in his early years and the X-Men weren't, you could just say that Marvel sees nothing wrong with making more radical changes to a character that wasn't so popular in the early days than compared to a character who was. To put it another way, Marvel is constantly trying to recapture a period when they felt or perceived the most excitement for Spider-Man, while X-Men's surge in popularity came a lot later in Marvel's history and as such they feel they have less to lose by taking chances on major changes within that franchise.
    Back in black, the hunter is ready to claim his prey.

Being an original fan of the original "New Warriors" I'm excited for this comic. Yost kept me coming back monthly with Scarlet Spider. I'm glad Scarlet SpiderMan isn't getting completely buried. I'm also glad Aracely is also still around for the ride. Yost say's the book is going to be fun and light hearted, which I believe to a degree. At the same time SS is just too gritty to transform into all out father figure and leader of a team. If anything he'll more or less be like a disgruntled uncle, very much how Wolverine fronts his teams.

Being trying to get my pull list down but this sounds and looks great.
    "They can try, but no one's gonna care." Legendary Quote by MartinRedmond