Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Avengers, #24.NOW

In "Avengers #24.NOW," Jonathan Hickman and a host of artists show the Avengers team enjoying some downtime, complete with Thor manning the grill, and also brings forward a new threat through the actions of Iron Man 3030.

Full review here.

This is the same site that gave issues of BoTA four stars?

SMDH

So basically, the major complaint about this issue has nothing to do with the issue's quality in and of itself, but rather how it lines up with the numbering and Marvel's marketing initiative.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:

WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW

Quote Originally Posted by Sciborg View Post
    This is the same site that gave issues of BoTA four stars?

SMDH
    Exactly. WTH is this?

:smh:

It was a great issue. It's hard to take these reviews serious.
    SO LET THIS BE A LESSON. LEARN. YOUR. PLACE. - Prince Freeman

Fantacrap=Fantasy + Crap zipppoww's Avatar

Lol, Hickman said this was a terrible jumping on point and I was sure he was not joking when he said it earlier this month. (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=49540) Apparently Brevoort did not want to accept that reality. They know Hickman is a long form writer, so it surprises me when they try to shoehorn him into these gimmicks. In fact, I notice they don't have him give many interviews on behalf of the company, which I assume has to do with both parties chafing each other. I understand the desire to have jumping on points, but I remember my first issue was the third part of a Spider-man arc and I just wanted to find the other two parts and continue reading the series. I never did find those two issues that year, but I kept reading Spider-man! Hickman is right that we need to embrace digital and modern tech in all aspects. They can go back and buy the other issues if they don't have them (way easier than it was for me back then). Each issue is someone's first and hopefully they like the story/drama/art enough to come back. SMH... Avengers 24.Now was a good issue, but a terrible "jumping on" point by Marvel marketing standards... by new reader standards, it was ok and would raise good questions.

they just had a good completely stand-alone issue in the form of the Annual. Should have just bolted a ".NOW" onto that.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin King View Post
    So basically, the major complaint about this issue has nothing to do with the issue's quality in and of itself, but rather how it lines up with the numbering and Marvel's marketing initiative.
    Some people take the number on the cover page really seriously, I'm not sure why. Could say number purple for all I care. Hickman doesn't really care either. He said it was a bad jumping-on point, and it is. The editors just put that .NOW on the cover for their own agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Megaharrison View Post
    Some people take the number on the cover page really seriously, I'm not sure why. Could say number purple for all I care. Hickman doesn't really care either. He said it was a bad jumping-on point, and it is. The editors just put that .NOW on the cover for their own agenda.
    Why market something as a good jumping on point when it's clearly not. While the reviewer may have docked too many points, it's a legitimate gripe when the company specifically marketed an issue across various media outlets as a place for new readers to jump in.

The review also seems to highlight one of the ongoing problems of Hickman's run, which is the focus on plot over characters.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    Why market something as a good jumping on point when it's clearly not. While the reviewer may have docked too many points, it's a legitimate gripe when the company specifically marketed an issue across various media outlets as a place for new readers to jump in.

The review also seems to highlight one of the ongoing problems of Hickman's run, which is the focus on plot over characters.
    There's no objective measure on how much character focus a series needs and I think it's unfair to ding a book for that. I haven't had a problem with Hickman's stuff and actually would rather see pages filled with interesting concepts rather than more breakfast table convos.

The only serious flaw in this issue, IMO, is that the team places a lot of faith in a figure they don't know the identity of. But I also accept that in a one-shot devoting space to cliched can-we-trust-this-mystery-figure dialogue might take away from a compacted story.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    I've read lots and lots of Hickman comics over the last few years, and this is always the popular bandwagon to jump on when there's just not enough negative to write to make a review look objective. Yes his comics tend toward the high concept, but every single run he's done has eventually dug a deep well of character development that is accomplished more subtly than the average "breakfast table conversations" (thanks Sciborg) that are frankly less interesting to read about (with the exception of SHIELD which was abruptly cut short before it had the chance to breathe). If you don't believe me check out the end of his Fantastic Four run. This dude does character development in a long arc. Have patience.

Quote Originally Posted by LightningBug View Post
    I've read lots and lots of Hickman comics over the last few years, and this is always the popular bandwagon to jump on when there's just not enough negative to write to make a review look objective. Yes his comics tend toward the high concept, but every single run he's done has eventually dug a deep well of character development that is accomplished more subtly than the average "breakfast table conversations" (thanks Sciborg) that are frankly less interesting to read about (with the exception of SHIELD which was abruptly cut short before it had the chance to breathe). If you don't believe me check out the end of his Fantastic Four run. This dude does character development in a long arc. Have patience.
    Agree, well said

Quote Originally Posted by zipppoww View Post
    Lol, Hickman said this was a terrible jumping on point and I was sure he was not joking when he said it earlier this month. (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=49540) Apparently Brevoort did not want to accept that reality. They know Hickman is a long form writer, so it surprises me when they try to shoehorn him into these gimmicks. In fact, I notice they don't have him give many interviews on behalf of the company, which I assume has to do with both parties chafing each other. I understand the desire to have jumping on points, but I remember my first issue was the third part of a Spider-man arc and I just wanted to find the other two parts and continue reading the series. I never did find those two issues that year, but I kept reading Spider-man! Hickman is right that we need to embrace digital and modern tech in all aspects. They can go back and buy the other issues if they don't have them (way easier than it was for me back then). Each issue is someone's first and hopefully they like the story/drama/art enough to come back. SMH... Avengers 24.Now was a good issue, but a terrible "jumping on" point by Marvel marketing standards... by new reader standards, it was ok and would raise good questions.
    Every issue of every comic should be a "jumping on point" for any potential new readers. This is how things were done back in the day when Stan Lee was calling the shots and later when Shooter became EIC (and continued up until Quesada became EIC). It should also be important to note that a "jumping on point" does not (and should not) only mean the start/beginning of a new storyline or new direction. A "jumping on point" should be any issue that tells any potential new readers who the characters are and what the current situation is that they are dealing with. A perfect example of how this being done is pretty much any comic written by Claremont, DeFalco's SPIDER-GIRL (and other MC2 books),and Larry Hama's G.I. JOE:A REAL AMERICAN HERO comic from IDW.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    Every issue of every comic should be a "jumping on point" for any potential new readers. This is how things were done back in the day when Stan Lee was calling the shots and later when Shooter became EIC (and continued up until Quesada became EIC). It should also be important to note that a "jumping on point" does not (and should not) only mean the start/beginning of a new storyline or new direction. A "jumping on point" should be any issue that tells any potential new readers who the characters are and what the current situation is that they are dealing with. A perfect example of how this being done is pretty much any comic written by Claremont, DeFalco's SPIDER-GIRL (and other MC2 books),and Larry Hama's G.I. JOE:A REAL AMERICAN HERO comic from IDW.
    I think the jumping on point is vastly different today that say the 1960's or 1970's. For one if a new reader likes what he reads he can catch up either through TPB's or download individual issues

Quote Originally Posted by Runguy View Post
    I think the jumping on point is vastly different today that say the 1960's or 1970's. For one if a new reader likes what he reads he can catch up either through TPB's or download individual issues
    Yeah, I think worrying too much about every issue being a jumping on point can ruin a story. Imagine shows like the Wire or Breaking Bad if every episode had to cater to a viewer coming in for the first time.

Seems to me the better way to get new readers is to write a story that's good enough people go back and get the previous issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Sciborg View Post
    Yeah, I think worrying too much about every issue being a jumping on point can ruin a story. Imagine shows like the Wire or Breaking Bad if every episode had to cater to a viewer coming in for the first time.

Seems to me the better way to get new readers is to write a story that's good enough people go back and get the previous issues.
    Most especially that last line there. Readers though are as much to blame as the companies. How many times has a poster posted on here "is this a good jumping on point?" Wy not just pick the book up and read it...sigh.

Anyway, I thought the issue was excellent. Gave some insight into the characters, had some minor action, good art...just a good book to me. I haven't been as interested in Avengers in a long long long time.