Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default 5 "Agents of SHIELD" Characters That Need More Screen Time In 2014

With the Marvel TV show's narrative kicked into high gear, here are the players that need to get involved as Season 1 enters its second half.

Full article here.

Asking for Sam Jackson to show up more as Nick Fury may be asking a lot. I'm sure he has plenty of other stuff going on and showing up in a TV show might cut into it. But I would really like to see more of Coulbie Summers as Maria Hill. She hasn't really had a chance to distinguish herself in either the show or the movie yet. This show would be a great way to build her story before the next Avengers movie. But again, that may be asking for a bit too much.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

Picture Book Liker

Personally, I think the key to keeping interest is costumes. Recognizable SHIELD uniforms for field ops would be a good start. Costumed villains would be the next step. There are so many unused C & D level villains that would be great for just one episode: Batwing, Jack O'Lantern, Bluestreak, Mirage, Scourge, Melter, Ghost, Absorbing Man, etc. Even a multi-episode campaign against the Serpent Society would be cool. Marvel, give us what made the comics fun and people will keep coming back.
    Currently Reading: Hawkeye, Jupiter's Legacy, Mighty Avengers, Saga, Superior Spider-Man & Superior Foes (Bye: Fearless Defenders & Young Avengers)

Pangalactic Gargleblaster W0NK042's Avatar

I fully expected this to be about the main cast/team.
    No I don't look sick, but then, you don't look dumb.

Change.Org - Bring Back Richard Rider

To be honest, I like Sam as Nick Fury, but the character isn't drastically interesting to me, to the point where I'm clamoring for more appearances of his on the tv show. Especially since we know there is a 99% chance if he does show up it will just be in a small pointless cameo..sort of like he did earlier in the season.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

I bet SLJ will film a few scenes while he's on the set for Captain America.

...possibly well-intentioned but disappointing trend of casting minority actors for nothing but one-off appearances
    Ming-Na Wen (Melinda May) is Asian and Chloe Bennet (Skye) is half Asian.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Asking for Sam Jackson to show up more as Nick Fury may be asking a lot. I'm sure he has plenty of other stuff going on and showing up in a TV show might cut into it.
    Yeah. Dude has credit card commercials to do.

For me they need to be making the core characters more interesting before throwing more guest stars into the mix.

It sounded like Jackson wanted to be on the show, guess he didn't fit into Joss Whedon vision for the show:

…I keep talking to them about it. I keep saying, “If nothing else, let me be Charlie of Charlie’s Angels. Use my voice to send them off to do stuff sometimes.” Joss just looked at me like, “Hmmm. Maybe.”

Agent of SHIELD/SWORD marvelprince's Avatar

Fury should have a presence on the show. Doesn't have to be on the set, but every so often you hear him on the comms barking orders at Coulson and co.

Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000 View Post
    It sounded like Jackson wanted to be on the show, guess he didn't fit into Joss Whedon vision for the show:

…I keep talking to them about it. I keep saying, “If nothing else, let me be Charlie of Charlie’s Angels. Use my voice to send them off to do stuff sometimes.” Joss just looked at me like, “Hmmm. Maybe.”
    My bet is that the problem is budgetary.

Quote Originally Posted by Disco_Magic View Post
    Personally, I think the key to keeping interest is costumes. Recognizable SHIELD uniforms for field ops would be a good start. Costumed villains would be the next step. There are so many unused C & D level villains that would be great for just one episode: Batwing, Jack O'Lantern, Bluestreak, Mirage, Scourge, Melter, Ghost, Absorbing Man, etc. Even a multi-episode campaign against the Serpent Society would be cool. Marvel, give us what made the comics fun and people will keep coming back.
    Recognizable SHIELD uniforms would be nice to see more often, if the missions warrant them... but as for C & D villains, it depends: who all did Nick Fury and his pals fight in the old "Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D." comics? If he & Dum Dum and the rest fought supervillains, then sure: throw some supervillains into the mix. If he just fought Hydra or AIM or other spies with colorful names and outlandish costumes, then do more stuff like that (which they kinda are, with Centipede), but minus the outlandish costumes (which were probably only there on non-powered villains because it made the comic more visually interesting back in the day).

Generally speaking, superheroes should be fighting the supervillains...not necessarily SHIELD, and not necessarily Coulson's team. They'd probably be better off fighting the supervillains' non-super support organizations, their henchmen...or if a particular villain happens to rule a country (Dr. Doom, of example, tho of course he's impossible) then maybe that country's got its own spy network trying to get intel on the US, the Avengers, SHIELD, etc, and sometimes Coulson's team would be sent to deal with them. Sometimes.

As for more of SLJ as Nick Fury in the show, I like the article's suggestion that maybe he turns up in the finale, for a big event... obviously the article wasn't suggesting he pop up every other week. A one-off appearance here & there, maybe even just a Skype chat with Coulson and/or his team, that's totally fine. Doesn't need to happen, but would be nice to see occasionally, since Coulson's one of Fury's faves.

All it'd take would be one day filming on Jackson's part if it's just the odd message on the radio/video interaction with Coulson et al, just tack it onto the end of the Captain America filming schedule like a pick up or a re-shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbles View Post
    All it'd take would be one day filming on Jackson's part if it's just the odd message on the radio/video interaction with Coulson et al, just tack it onto the end of the Captain America filming schedule like a pick up or a re-shoot.
    One day filming? If it's just his voice he could literally phone it in.