Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I kinda wish Image well but I still don't trust they can put books out on time (on the date solicited for release or a couple of weeks later) and I understand Image is an umbrella not an editorial dictatorship like DC & Marvel appear to be BUT I imagine their are a lot of people like me that remember the days of buying 1/2 a dozen or more variant covers to the "next big thing" only to find 6 months later we are still waiting for the the next issue while they solicited monthly and just got sick of the stupidity of it all.
    "They can try, but no one's gonna care." Legendary Quote by MartinRedmond

All they need is bigger advertisement and PR.
    They're much better than DC in quality. Maybe start making other things also.
    Basically they need to whore their name out.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

I wish Image all the best. It's really crazy to see where they came from and where they are now. I sincerely hope that I see the day where Image's output is a bigger piece of the pie than Marvel or DC. I love Marvel, but I think for the future of the comic industry, there needs to be a change in the mentality of buyers and potential buyers.

I think Image is the one to get us there.
    Olivier Coipel - The best damned artist on the planet!

Shout out to Kev Walker! You're doing a hell of a job!

Find & follow me on Twitter & Instagram. Check out arfguy

Quote Originally Posted by Mechano View Post
    Image is good... Valiant and Dark Horse are better.
    And also IDW, Boom, Avatar...

If only more people understood that...
    :/

I will never forgive the beginnings of Image.
    Last edited by chakal; 12-24-2013 at 01:07 AM.
    Say No to decompressed storytelling!

Bellechere for the win!!!

European Union: XXI Century New USSR
    I am anti-EU

Black Science, Lazarus, Fatale, Saga, East of West, Pretty Deadly, Sex Criminals... Yep you are number one.
    Last edited by gendry; 12-24-2013 at 05:15 AM.
    Batman,Wonder Woman,Swamp Thing, Green Arrow, Hawkeye,Daredevil,Thor,Moon Knight,Iron Fist, Saga,Lazarus,EastofWest,BlackScience,RedSonja...

Quote Originally Posted by chakal View Post

Yeah, to hell with reading and supporting good comics!! I'd rather hold a grudge over some perceived slight in 1992. That'll show them!

Default Valiant? Seriously?

You do realize that Valiant is basically just "updating" and republishing everything they published in the '90s, right?

...You can lead a fanboy to Image, but you can't make him read, I suppose.

Ehhh......
    BB

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

...What the hell does the beginning of Image, from over 20 years ago, have to do with the comics being released now?
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

Free Umbra!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Anderson View Post
    ...What the hell does the beginning of Image, from over 20 years ago, have to do with the comics being released now?
    Yeah, that post dumbfounded me too. I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I think Image's books are significantly better than any other publisher right now, it's not even close.

Image will continue to find success by doing what Stephenson is suggesting here, and that is by not being beholden to the current setup of the comics marketplace. They need to continue to do things their own way and reinvent how people discover and read comics. The best analogy I can think of is to what happened in the past generation of video games: DC and Marvel are PS3 and Xbox 360, basically doing the same thing as before but with more powerful hardware. The Wii completely rethought how you market video games and brought something new to the industry, and by going on their own path they got a different audience and were able to soundly defeat the competition in sales.

I have loved every interview I've read with Stephenson, he so clearly "gets it" and really truly cares about quality.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

I must of added 7-8 ongoing Image books this year and I don't see 2014 being any different. First up for the new year is Southern Bastards, can't wait to read that! I also dropped all of my Marvel books but one ( Savage Wolverine), which was about 7-8 books. If Image keeps up with all of these awesome books by the end of next year there's a good chance I'll only be reading Image, Valiant, Batman and Savage Wolverine.

☿Mecurial master of media Living Silver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoGoatee View Post
    I agree Indie comics are doing better than ever, and I don't think they're in danger or anything. And I'd love it if say Image was #1 in popularity, but it doesn't seem possible to me.

http://www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/...ticleID=142879

Look at Image's slice of the pie compared to Marvel or DC. It is nice to read that indie comics grow a bit on these charts over time, but Marvel/DC each have 29~% and Image has 8~%. If Image tripled it'd still make less than Marvel or DC. Personally I'd be happy if Image even say doubled their share. So just sayin', I'm glad Image is optimistic and hope they grow massively over the coming years, just even with a massive increase they wouldn't be #1. Not that I think sales are what should be important to us readers anyway.

Marvel and DC combined have 59.21% of the comics money on the direct market at the moment, indie comics have 40.79%. For me a much more realistic goal I'd love to see is Indie comics combined beating Marvel and DC, growing to over 50%. But even that I'm not 100% sure will happen, but I would like it to.

Two problems with your argument here.

#1. If Image's market share tripled, they would be #1 (assuming that the market share of other indie publishers doesn't shrink too much). If Image triples, someone else's market share will shrink (there is only a maximum of 100 total percentage points). There's a good chance that the losses will come from the Big Two, because they have more to lose than anyone else. With a 16% shift of the market (i.e. Image tripling their current share), the new stats say 24% (Image) vs. 22% (Marvel) vs. 22% (DC). BOOM. Image is #1.
    It would look like this:

#2. You're looking at just Diamond's figures. Image is selling digital books directly, with no middleman. Then you need to consider Comixology sales, and secondary market sales, like from Barnes & Noble and Amazon. I'm sure data from these other sources tells a far different story.
    Last edited by Living Silver; 12-24-2013 at 01:09 PM. Reason: formatting plus graphic

Quote Originally Posted by Killerwit View Post
    You do realize that Valiant is basically just "updating" and republishing everything they published in the '90s, right?

...You can lead a fanboy to Image, but you can't make him read, I suppose.
    Which tells me you haven't actually read any of it... If he thinks Image can be #1, he's delusional. The ONLY way that could happen is if Warner Bros and Disney decided to stop publishing comics, and even then it's iffy. Image has some good stuff (Artifacts, Cyber Force, Aphrodite IX, Revival, Witchblade), but their numbers are in LARGE part from Walking Dead. Once that dies off, back to obscurity you go. Personally I get, not only more marvel and dc, but more Zenescope, Dynamite, Dark Horse, Valiant and often more IDW, Avatar, and even Archie than I do Image.

Quote Originally Posted by Living Silver View Post
    Two problems with your argument here.

#1. If Image's market share tripled, they would be #1 (assuming that the market share of other indie publishers doesn't shrink too much). If Image triples, someone else's market share will shrink (there is only a maximum of 100 total percentage points). There's a good chance that the losses will come from the Big Two, because they have more to lose than anyone else. With a 16% shift of the market (i.e. Image tripling their current share), the new stats say 24% (Image) vs. 22% (Marvel) vs. 22% (DC). BOOM. Image is #1.

#2. You're looking at just Diamond's figures. Image is selling digital books directly, with no middleman. Then you need to consider Comixology sales, and secondary market sales, like from Barnes & Noble and Amazon. I'm sure data from these other sources tells a far different story.
    I'll just ignore #1 but as for #2: you are aware, so does everybody else, right?

Quote Originally Posted by mietha View Post
    Which tells me you haven't actually read any of it... If he thinks Image can be #1, he's delusional. The ONLY way that could happen is if Warner Bros and Disney decided to stop publishing comics, and even then it's iffy. Image has some good stuff (Artifacts, Cyber Force, Aphrodite IX, Revival, Witchblade), but their numbers are in LARGE part from Walking Dead. Once that dies off, back to obscurity you go. Personally I get, not only more marvel and dc, but more Zenescope, Dynamite, Dark Horse, Valiant and often more IDW, Avatar, and even Archie than I do Image.
    I can't actually imagine finding enough content to read at Zenescope, Dynamite or Avatar at this point, even if I don't take quality into account. But then, I don't read a single one of the Image books you mentioned, so I think we can assume you and I are in different readerships focused on different genre.
    Pull: All-Star Western, Batwoman, Daredevil, Fatale, Lazarus, The Massive, Prophet, Rachel Rising, Red Hood, Stumptown, Wonder Woman, Velvet