Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Mild-Mannered Reporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    28,819

    Default When Words Collide - Dec 23, 2013

    Which comics make Tim's TEN BEST OF 2013 list? Find out this week in the penultimate WHEN WORDS COLLIDE!


    Full article here.

  2. #2

    Default

    Wow, six comics that are never talked about and barely any one has ever heard of.

    Not really what I was expecting when I clicked the link.

  3. #3

    Default

    Tim, I always find your lists enjoyable. You're responsible for getting me into COPRA with that last BEST OF list back in the summer.

    I gave up on Wonder Woman, but your recommendation is compelling me to re-try it. I was turned off by Azzarello's characterization of Wonder Woman, who confuses "strong" with "masculine", which I think most writers have trouble with (James Cameron is a great example). Writing a strong woman doesn't mean she has to actually go toe to toe physically with a man. I'm thinking of that goofy ball-busting scene with Orion.

    I'm really curious what Grant Morrison does with Wonder Woman, however.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet-Batman View Post
    Wow, six comics that are never talked about and barely any one has ever heard of.

    Not really what I was expecting when I clicked the link.
    Well now you know what to read and talk about.
    BB

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet-Batman View Post
    Wow, six comics that are never talked about and barely any one has ever heard of.

    Not really what I was expecting when I clicked the link.

    You say that like it's a bad thing. I'm tired of everyone moaning on about the new quirky Matt Fraction comic and Saga quite frankly.

  6. #6
    Junior Member uatu13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Wow, a bunch of hipster, artsy-fartsy books, how original.

  7. #7
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    6,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uatu13 View Post
    Wow, a bunch of hipster, artsy-fartsy books, how original.
    Yes, lets all dance around stuff like Justice League and pretend we all agree that it's the 'best thing evar' and that different tastes dont exist.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uatu13 View Post
    Wow, a bunch of hipster, artsy-fartsy books, how original.
    Most of these books are still genre action-adventure comics. Only that they are made by people who care. People who care about comics, about it's history, about doing something interesting with the medium and not about market shares and demographics and pleasing the Tumblr crowds.
    Last edited by Engineered; 12-24-2013 at 04:07 AM.

  9. #9
    Member MonteMike72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    736

    Default

    Fatale is the only one I have read. It has kind of lost steam and I have quit ordering it.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet-Batman View Post
    Wow, six comics that are never talked about and barely any one has ever heard of.

    Not really what I was expecting when I clicked the link.
    God forbid for a best-of list that does not contain Saga, Hawkeye or Nowhere Men (really, what the hell is up with Nowhere Men cropping up in so many end of the year lists...).

  11. #11

    Default

    I've only read a handful of these, but I definitely do think that WW is better than Hawkeye, Daredevil, and Batman. At least, based on 2013 output, Wonder Woman has been better. Waid's "Sons of the Serpent" storyline fails because it tries to be way more socially relevant than it is; Hawkeye barely came out this year, and when it did its issues weren't as great as last year's; and Snyder's Batman has gotten bloated and unnecessary.

    I enjoy Fatale and am glad to see it on this list.

    I enjoy Saga but am pleasantly surprised to NOT see it on a list like this for a change. I LIKE IT . . . but it's overrated.

    I dunno about everyone else, but *I* keep hearing about this "Copra". So, I'll finally check it out for real now.

  12. #12

    Default

    So Saga has gone from underrated to overrated to underrated again in a year and a half. Really don't think there are 10 better comics anywhere even if you get style points for cranking things out on your own Gutenberg press.

    Glad to see Jupiter's Legacy make the list because when it has come out it has been excellent.

    Would have liked to see Lazarus here given that for me every issue so far has been 5 stars. It's a book that has more content on its letters page than most books on the stands.

    I know Kirkman and Skybound are too "commercial" to get mention here but I have enjoyed the hell out of Thief of Thieves

    If one DC book was going to make it I really wish it had been Green Arrow. That book could have no dialogue and Sorrentino's art would still make it one of the best from the Big 2. I have never seen a bigger turnaround on a book than i have since Lemire and Sorrentino took over the title
    Last edited by AlexanderLuthor; 12-23-2013 at 06:36 PM.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    137

    Default

    My God what a worthless list. I almost passed out from the sheer pretentiousness wafting from it. As if the writer hadn't fulfilled every hipster stereotype you can think of he gifts us this gem of a quote from his oh-so-important number 1 comics:

    You probably can't even buy "Copra" from your local shop, unless you are really lucky and/or live near Bergen Street.
    I guess I'm not cool enough. Adventure Time is garbage and I bet you the doodling in the notebooks of that annoying kid with the skinny jeans you hate is as good as this Copra bullshit. Saga, Morning Glories, Prophet and Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers are the best comics of the year and don't let anyone tell you different just because they are popular.

  14. #14

    Default

    This guy said both of these things.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandinista View Post
    I almost passed out from the sheer pretentiousness wafting from it.
    Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers are the best comics of the year

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandinista View Post
    My God what a worthless list. I almost passed out from the sheer pretentiousness wafting from it. As if the writer hadn't fulfilled every hipster stereotype you can think of he gifts us this gem of a quote from his oh-so-important number 1 comics:



    I guess I'm not cool enough. Adventure Time is garbage and I bet you the doodling in the notebooks of that annoying kid with the skinny jeans you hate is as good as this Copra bullshit. Saga, Morning Glories, Prophet and Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers are the best comics of the year and don't let anyone tell you different just because they are popular.
    I'll have to pass on Avengers/New Avengers because I'm not sure Hickman will finish any of his plot points in the next 3 years. But I did forget to mention Prophet and Morning Glories - two completely different, yet both excellent books. Another I should mention is All-Star Western which is DCs lowest selling book, other than Batwing, yet they keep it around because it might be their best

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •