Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default 5 Most Spirited Stories From the '90s Marvel "Holiday Specials"

Of the nearly three-dozen holiday-themed anthology stories, CBR spotlights the five tales that pack the biggest holiday punch.

Full article here.

Used to love these growing up. My favorites were probably the one with Franklin Richards and Jacob Marley's ghost and the one where Doc Samson narrates the Hannukah story (with Ultron as Antiochus!)

Rulk needs his moustache! ResIpsaLoquitur's Avatar

I think that original Marvel Holiday Special was a darn-near perfect book. The kid who mistakes Ghost Rider for Santa, Spidey visiting the hospital with JJJ, the X-Men meet Santa...all excellent.
    "Well, last night's episode was a very special episode. They revealed that the Incredible Hulk has an evil twin. And he's not green. He's red."

Poor hacked Diamond Lil. Nevets F's Avatar

That New Warriors story is one of the best New Warriors stories of the time. It's really, really great.
    Read about the greatest series ever, Alpha Flight...from the beginning!

You'd think Night Thrasher would know what it was like to want something from, you know, wanting his parents back.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

I remember really liking the story of Hanukkah as told by Dr. Sampson.
    Black Panther eats pizza, we eat pizza!

Fortuna Favet Fortibus The Lucky One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
    I think that original Marvel Holiday Special was a darn-near perfect book. The kid who mistakes Ghost Rider for Santa, Spidey visiting the hospital with JJJ, the X-Men meet Santa...all excellent.
    Agreed. I'm probably biased because it was one of the first comics I ever bought, but man were there some gems in that issue. The FF story is great for anyone who ever wondered why Jacob Marley got the shaft in "A Christmas Carol," the Spidey story gives us a semi-sequel to "The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man," the X-Men tale introduced me to the All-New, All-Different team before I knew who half those characters even were (I sure didn't get the "Marvel Girl has sure changed her look" joke about Storm at the time, nor did I realize the story led right into UXM #94... which, in a roundabout way, makes Santa responsible for the creation of Phoenix/Dark Phoenix), and the Ghost Rider story was sweet, if a bit sappy. The Cap story with Steve meeting Bucky's elderly, older sister really struck a chord too, whether or not it's still in continuity. Plus some of those pin-ups were damned decent, and the text piece was a fun way of learning about some past holiday stories, from the Champions' snowball fight to a Roy Thomas Black Widow solo story to the first issue of Marvel Team-Up, with Spidey and the Torch letting the Sandman visit his sick mother on Christmas.

True, the Thor story was just okay, the Captain Ultra story was nothing special and I thought the Punisher story fell flat (why even try a Punisher Christmas story, other than it being 1991?), but you still more than got your money's worth with that special. And that's not even counting the awesome Art Adams gatefold cover.

Man, this is really making me want to go back and get the two of those specials I don't already own. That New Warriors story sounds great.

-D
    "I love the nostalgic, myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past."
    ~Walt Disney

The Impulsive Buy
    Mutant Reviewers From Hell

Because I am of a more dark, cynical bent, albeit with something of a hopeful, optimistic streak buried underneath all of that, one of my favorite Christmas stories published by Marvel was "A Beer with the Devil" by Ann Nocenti, John Romita Jr & Al Williamson from Daredevil #266.

http://benjaminherman.wordpress.com/...ith-the-devil/

I really think that the final page of that story encapsulates to true, genuine spirit of the holidays.

Actually, now I want to find a copy of that 1991 Holiday Special. I'm a huge fan of Dave Cockrum's work, and I never even knew this story existed. Thanks for the info, Brett.

By the way, Bucky's sister showed up towards the end of Dan Jurgens' run on Captain America. I cannot recall if she's appeared since then, though.

There was a recent one i just read that had Deadpool trying to off Santa because "Bass Rankin" paid him too... apparently because he kept getting coal in his stocking.