Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is Joker Criminally Insane or Merely a Psychopath?

Is Joker criminally insane or merely a psychopath?

A criminally insane person cannot tell the difference between right and wrong, while a psychopath can tell the difference between right and wrong, but doesn't care, because they lack empathy.

Comic book writers seem use these two terms interchangeably and I think there are stories where Joker seems more psychopathic then criminally insane.

He's a fictional agglomeration of characterizations and motivations that range from those necessitated by a plot to those required of him to sell toys. He's not much, taken as a whole, of anything resembling a human mind as you'd find in the really real world.

Taken story by story, appearance by appearance, he is whatever the authors of that story want to make of him, so long as he's got a white face, green hair, and hurts people (preferably in Gotham).

He's a Psychopath.

With very good lawyers.

I have to agree with my friend Travis, The Joker has had verying motivations and psychology especially if you consider that with all the different worlds and reboots and such they are technically not all the same exact person and expecting comic book writers to know the difference or even care is asking for a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by The Master Meglomaniac View Post
    Is Joker criminally insane or merely a psychopath?

A criminally insane person cannot tell the difference between right and wrong, while a psychopath can tell the difference between right and wrong, but doesn't care, because they lack empathy.

Comic book writers seem use these two terms interchangeably and I think there are stories where Joker seems more psychopathic then criminally insane.
    After 70+ years of nearly bringing a city to its knees on a semi-monthly basis (except that period before 5 Way Revenge when he wasn't being used for awhile), I don't think he could be classified as "merely" anything.

More on-point, a psychopath. He's entirely aware of the differences between right and wrong (or at least, what he sees as others delusions of such concepts), and delights in doing wrong.
    Best of the Best
    Grant Morrison; Alan Moore; Mark Waid; Warren Ellis; Mark Millar (when not all Millar-y); Elliot S! Maggin; Kurt Busiek; Jonathan Hickman; Matt Fraction; Jason Aaron; Garth Ennis.

Hes been portrayed as both. Depends on the interpretation.

He's super-sane.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroSikTh View Post
    He's super-sane.
    No offense, but the whole super sane idea, just makes him seem like a cynical, nihilistic psychopath, who uses that as excuse to act that way.

Quote Originally Posted by The Master Meglomaniac View Post
    No offense, but the whole super sane idea, just makes him seem like a cynical, nihilistic psychopath, who uses that as excuse to act that way.
    Well, that's exactly what he is, isn't it?
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    Well, that's exactly what he is, isn't it?
    Sure, but then "super sanity" is a rather meaningless term then, he is just a psychopath. Let's call a spade a spade.

He's just an idea.
    What? do you need blood spattered on your faces to even feel alive anymore???
    ohsnapulon5000

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Hes been portrayed as both. Depends on the interpretation.
    I'll go with this one.

Depends on the writer, the plot and what Joker's role is in the story.
    PSN: BloodOps
    "Tt..You can't just build a boat and hope darkness magically sails away with it."

"Why not? It's my boat."

He knows exactly what he's doing so he shouldn't be in an insane asylum. He's a genius but he's not compelled against his will to kill people. Everything is part of his plan.

He's a Republican.

(I can get away saying that because I'm a registered Republican.)
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

BANNED

In the legal sense, the Joker is insane.

He is not a psychopath, though. He has no pathological tendency. He doesn't fit the definition of a psychopath.

He's technically a new thing. Supersane is the word that's been used to describe him. He's able to shed collective memory and experience and re-invent on the spot. In that sense, he's a lot like Batman from the other direction. He's a human hyper-adapter that out-witted the real hyper-adapter.