Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 364243444546

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    That was 25+ years ago. He has had no sort of real life outside of being Cap for a good decade or so. Especially once he got rid of his secret ID he has just been basically all Cap all the time.
    Well Steve Rogers is Captain America. The life and loves of him are as Captain.

BANNED

Please, Maj, don't hurt 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by Superman Priime View Post
    Please, Maj, don't hurt 'em!
    I was bored. :smh:

Brother Chaos Bringer

Professional TROLL killer

Awww! YoU caught my logic slug. Did it hurt your brain?

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    When a character is constantly portrayed as perfect and infallible, and is treated as such by the other characters, and even worse, he accepts it, it tends to become unlikeable over time.

Plus he regularly defeats superpowered foes with his fists despite not having superstrength, superspeed or invulnerability, apparently his plot armor protects him from damage and his patriotism lends strength to his punches.

Plus he doesn't even drop the mask...he's Captain America 24 hours a day, seven days per week, he has no real civilian identity or non-heroic life, and that makes difficult to identify with him in any meaningful way.

Plus I always found weird that a character could consider himself the paragon of Democracy without having been elected or voted. Steve Rogers fulfills the same function as living symbol for US that democratic parlamentary monarchs do in other modern countries, except US' democratic system is at the core of its cultural identity, and Steve hasn't been democratically elected.

Plus MU's States are an awful, horrible place, ruled by fascists and shady secret agencies were people is regularly abducted, incarcerted without a trial, brainwashed or used as guinea pigs by said governmental agencies, and the money from the taxpayers is used to build Sentinels instead of creating an efficient police force able to fight back supervillains...what does it have to make you proud of living in that place?. MU's States are crap.

That said, I don't hate Steve Rogers as a character, he is a good, decent guy, I just don't like the concept of Captain America as a Messiah of sorts.
    Funny thing is, all the things that you mention makes you dislike Cap, it's why I love him so damn much. And why I tried to emulated him so much when I was a kid. (sadly I became more of a Clint Barton-type but anyway, can't win them all lol).

I love that he's just this dude with a shield but his drive is so great that he defeats guys far more powerful than him. What I love the most about this is that given that he's just a dude with a shield that means that he has to work hard everyday to keep being good.

I love that he has no life, that he's Cap 24hour a day. That's so...him!

I love that he has no arrogance and that he pretty much accept anybody and will give anybody always a second chance(sometime a 10th chance) like he did with Diamondack and so forth.

I love that he's a good person even if people say it makes him bland.

Cap is not a messiah but we have to accept that like Superman, he's a good person that likes to do good with nothing attached. And that he's the best fighter you can have on any battlefield. If those two elements make it repulsive for some readers, well maybe they have issues.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

Sentinal of Liberty WinterSoldier76's Avatar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	124792

This panel sums up why I love Cap.

I like Captain America in general but lately in 616 I think he has too much power (authority wise) and I really didn't like it Secret Avengers where he had innocent people tortured.

Captain America has been one of my favorite characters since I was a child and is still in my top 5.

Yes, the guy is a goody-goody but that's why I love the character, it's too easy to just give in to your negative emotions/thoughts and the popular opinion. To believe in something and stand by it, come hell or high water is admirable, honorable even. If you stand for nothing you fall for anything. He doesn't give up just because things are tough or seem impossible to win, he just keeps on keeping on. It's too easy to just give up, walk away and abandon things. He's patriotic but not blindly so. He loves his country and it's people but he knows it's government isn't innocent. He never abandons his ideals and what this country is and should be about. He isn't some flag waving sheeple. People should want to be more like him, not less like him.

Having a moral compass and standing by my principles hasn't always been very popular with other people but I feel better about myself for having stuck to my guns regardless of the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDemon View Post
    I am completely serious.

On the contrary, it is prevalent throughout modern culture and I encounter it daily. I am white, therefore I am considered by minority groups to be by definition racist. I am male, therefore I am considered by feminists be definition to be patriarchal and mysogynist. I am heterosexual, and therefore considered by "alternative lifestyles" supporters to be homophobic. I am Christian, and therefore considered by ALL of the above, PLUS atheists to not only be all of the above, but a theocratic fascist.
    What privileges of whiteness do you also enjoy? There is privilege there just like I have privilege by being born a man.

Do not presume to lecture ME about the bigotry I endure on a daily basis.
    Not here to lecture but you do realize there are many other people that face worse bigotry than you do? Can you connect to them or is this all about you?

"No discrimination" means NO discrimination. Not reverse discrimination, which is what these laws to "protect minority rights" amount to.
    So laws that protect white privelege are ok? Got it. I know that's not what you mean but you are doing a good job of implying that.

You cannot use a wrong to make "right" another wrong. And it is further not right to critcize non-"minority" citizens for standing UP for their interests.
    Are you defending the homophobic, racist, fake Christianity that is all the norm on Duck Dynasty?

o

Come on now, take those race debates somewhere else. Somewhere far far away. This is a topic for Captain America.
    Highly Evolved Creature Totally Orientated on Revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Funny thing is, all the things that you mention makes you dislike Cap, it's why I love him so damn much. And why I tried to emulated him so much when I was a kid. (sadly I became more of a Clint Barton-type but anyway, can't win them all lol).

I love that he's just this dude with a shield but his drive is so great that he defeats guys far more powerful than him. What I love the most about this is that given that he's just a dude with a shield that means that he has to work hard everyday to keep being good.

I love that he has no life, that he's Cap 24hour a day. That's so...him!

I love that he has no arrogance and that he pretty much accept anybody and will give anybody always a second chance(sometime a 10th chance) like he did with Diamondack and so forth.

I love that he's a good person even if people say it makes him bland.

Cap is not a messiah but we have to accept that like Superman, he's a good person that likes to do good with nothing attached. And that he's the best fighter you can have on any battlefield. If those two elements make it repulsive for some readers, well maybe they have issues.
    Sorry Folks.

But.

This needs to be repeated again and again and again.

This is Cap.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!