Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

So what the hell is Duck Dynasty anyways? They look like a branch of Bray Wyatt's cult.

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wjowski View Post
    So what the hell is Duck Dynasty anyways? They look like a branch of Bray Wyatt's cult.
    They made a fortune out of a product that makes ducks think hunters want to fuck them.

And now one of them compared homosexuality with bestiality, a subject he clearly knows something about, considering the family business.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    They made a fortune out of a product that makes ducks think hunters want to fuck them.

And now one of them compared homosexuality with bestiality, a subject he clearly knows something about, considering the family business.
    And, for reasons that totally elude me, people actually watch those troglodytes on TV. I am ashamed of my country.
    "We're from Philadelphia, and we fight."
    ---Chip Kelly, Head Coach, Philadelphia Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    And, for reasons that totally elude me, people actually watch those troglodytes on TV. I am ashamed of my country.
    A lot of it is just "hick"-ploitation. People watch the hillbillies with their strange ways and strange solutions to problems to laugh at them. I'm sure that some people watch them because they're 'good ol' 'Muricans done good', but the majority of viewers are there for a freakshow.

Not that it in anyway condones what Robertson said, which is ridiculously ignorant. It's just useful to remember that most people already view him as a goofball, so his statements don't reflect the beliefs of the majority of his viewers.
    Last edited by FanboyStranger; 12-22-2013 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    A lot of it is just "hick"-ploitation. People watch the hillbillies with their strange ways and strange solutions to problems to laugh at them. I'm sure that some people watch them because they're 'good ol' 'Muricans done good', but the majority of viewers are there for a freakshow.

Not that it in anyway condones what Robertson said, which is ridiculously ignorant. It's just useful to remember that most people already view him as a goofball, so his statements don't reflect the beliefs of the majority of his viewers.
    Pretty much. Reality TV is the new carnival freak attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    the majority of viewers are there for a freakshow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wjowski View Post
    Pretty much. Reality TV is the new carnival freak attraction.
    This. It's the same reason the Kardashians, Honey Boo Boo, Jersey Shore and all those other terrible reality shows are so successful.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Ood Omega View Post
    This. It's the same reason the Kardashians, Honey Boo Boo, Jersey Shore and all those other terrible reality shows are so successful.
    We endorse and shame bad behavior in the same breath...and networks reap the benefits
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    networks reap the benefits
    and while disavowing Phil (as they should) they then decided to air three days of Duck Dynasty marathons.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Reality TV has been a boon for both cable and broadcast networks...no need to pay actors or traditional writers

and the return is monumental if the show is succesful...its a higher profit margin for that particular network
    Support your local roller derby league

and while disavowing Phil (as they should) they then decided to air three days of Duck Dynasty marathons.
    They're getting their last bit of ratings. Phil is still in those episodes, and he's front page news nationwide. That aught to cause a spike in ratings, for a short while. The show won't recover. It might go on another season or two in some odd uncomfortable fashion like American Chopper with the dad and son estranged, but it's going to be Dog The Bounty Hunter all over again, with a sharp ratings drop that it will not recover from by mid season next season. Until then, they're going to get every penny worth out of that footage though.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

No doubt they'll still air DD in syndication after it's inevitable cancellation.

Quote Originally Posted by dupont2005 View Post
    it's going to be Dog The Bounty Hunter all over again, with a sharp ratings drop that it will not recover from by mid season next season.
    Duane the mullet hunter was outed as a bigot during season 4. A&E produced four more seasons after that. He even was picked up for a new show by another channel after A&E cancelled him. I can see the DD klan moving to another network just like he did.

No doubt they'll still air DD in syndication after it's inevitable cancellation.

Duane the mullet hunter was outed as a bigot during season 4. A&E produced four more seasons after that. He even was picked up for a new show by another channel after A&E cancelled him. I can see the DD klan moving to another network just like he did.
    Yeah, but I doubt the checks were as big. It took forever for them to finally cancel American Chopper too, even though that show had outlived it's welcome years before. When you're the biggest show on a network with no big shows, it takes a while. It might not take quite as long though, because the American Chopper cast were not outed as bigots, and as far as I remember nobody lost their asses in merchandise when Dog was. That and the Duck Dynasty people already have money, so if they decide to take a stand as a matter of principle then the show could be canned because of their behavior regardless of ratings.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dupont2005 View Post
    They're getting their last bit of ratings. Phil is still in those episodes, and he's front page news nationwide. That aught to cause a spike in ratings, for a short while. The show won't recover. It might go on another season or two in some odd uncomfortable fashion like American Chopper with the dad and son estranged, but it's going to be Dog The Bounty Hunter all over again, with a sharp ratings drop that it will not recover from by mid season next season. Until then, they're going to get every penny worth out of that footage though.
    You do realize that Phil Robertson is in the next seasons shows right ? He's in the 5th season of shows that will begin airing in January. Its already said he's gonna be in them plus the latest details was that the family during the next couple months will meet with A&E to discuss the show.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Well to the surprise of no one , A&E changed their minds on suspending Phil Robertson . Knowing the redneck was just too damn powerful to stop.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/t...versy/4224507/
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Well to the surprise of no one , A&E changed their minds on suspending Phil Robertson . Knowing the redneck was just too damn powerful to stop.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/t...versy/4224507/
    Keep up that long slide into irrelevancy, A&E. We salute you.