Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Another Comic Book Supervillain Planned for "Marvel's Agents of SHIELD"

Marvel has announced actor Dylan Minnette will play Donnie Gill in "Agents of SHIELD," the civilian identity of comic book villain Blizzard.

Full article here.

Oh man, they are really pulling out all the big guns now.

Blizzard? Was Leap-Frog busy?

Quote Originally Posted by newspeak2013 View Post
    Oh man, they are really pulling out all the big guns now.

Blizzard? Was Leap-Frog busy?
    Why would ANYONE want to pull out Big Name Supervillains in the first season?

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Why would ANYONE want to pull out Big Name Super villains in the first season?
    Well for one it makes people want to watch more if it had actual costumed heroes and villains. Nobody gives a shit about a bunch of no name , useless Shield agents.
    The world's Number 1 Ghost Rider Fan!!!!
    Reading
    Mighty Avengers. Uncanny Avengers* Thunderbolts* Justice League(Forever Evil)

*facepalm*
    First people are demanding Marvel characters to be in the show, now people like you are saying "Why would they add Blizzard so soon? Are they stupid or something?" The haters might as well hold up a sign that say's "We're hypocrital whiners looking for things to bitch about!"
    S.O.S. - Save Our Seals!

So there is a 2nd season perhaps?

I work in TV. No one intentionally sandbags the first season so they can have more stuff to do in the second. Or if they do, they don't last long.

These days serial shows can expect significant viewer drop off from season to season and during the course of a season. It's paramount that you grab as many viewers as possible as quickly as possible and then try your best to hold onto them. Trying to pull viewers in the further a show progresses is not an effective strategy.

It just seems weird to me. They have access to a huge and recognizable storytelling property to draw from. But yet, they're just mining the dregs. I can't believe that they really think they need to save all of it for the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLemsterPju View Post

*facepalm*
    First people are demanding Marvel characters to be in the show, now people like you are saying "Why would they add Blizzard so soon? Are they stupid or something?" The haters might as well hold up a sign that say's "We're hypocrital whiners looking for things to bitch about!"
    He was replying to someone who implied Blizzard is a lower tier supervillain, which probably means he's saying that Blizzard is an appropriate choice for the show because he's not a big name supervillain.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Eddard Stark's other bastard

"Metaphors? I hate metaphors! That's why my favorite book is Moby Dick. No frou-frou symbolism, just a good simple tale about a man who hates an animal." ~Ron Swanson

What's Best For Business Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

It's just impossible to please some people. But anyway, I'm pleased that they're moving in this direction, since even without the X-verse and Spidey-verse to leech from, there's an entire tapestry for them to choose from.

You know what would really be cool if this show becomes the birthplace for Marvel's super villians or maybe even super villain teams. Let's face it, most of Marvel's super villains are C & D listers so I don't expect to see them on the big screen. I'd say SHIELD is the perfect place for guys like Whirlwind, Melter, Nekra, Mad Thinker etc. Even better. have them form a team by the end of the season.
    "Honest Abe's a 'mo!" - Hank Venture from the Venture Bros.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpoff! View Post
    Well for one it makes people want to watch more if it had actual costumed heroes and villains. Nobody gives a shit about a bunch of no name , useless Shield agents.
    They are only "no name" because they are new characters. As far as useless is concerned, it takes more than Iron Man, Hulk, and Cap to make the world go round. They aren't omnipotent. It takes all kinds.

I guess Blizzard will be one of those guys that starts as a villain then have a midlife crisis then turn good.

Given that a lot of the bigger super-villains are probably being kept aside for the movies, I think Blizzard is a good choice for the show. He's powerful enough that regular police would have trouble with him but not so powerful that you need to call in one of the Avengers.

I am uncertain if Marvel wants to take a risk with established villains or not - heck, we've now just learnt that Baron Strucker, a villain who would have been perfect for this of the Agent Carter show, is going to be dumped as a bit-part in AOU instead. Bah.

Also, the Wrecking Crew. Seriously, they would be perfect, and they're actually known villains, least by relatively in the know fans as opposed to the types wh ohave to dreg to the deepest files to know who the heck these guys are.
    The rule in comics seems to be that unless you're gay, interacial or had the sense to get married in the 60's and have kids before it became out of vogue to marry and grow up, it's not gonna last.

Just like in "Arrow", we weren't treated to The Flash, rather to Barry Allen (of course the ending does do the beginning of his origin as The Flash). However, I remember the articles before he appeared and they touted "The Flash to Appear on Arrow!" (or something like that), but if you read between the lines, it was clear he was ONLY going to appear as Allen.

I'm not convinced Donnie Gill will appear as The Blizzard, running around freezing people and committing huge crimes. This could turn out to be an origin story of sorts, like they did with Graviton and that's fine I guess, but I'd rather see them face off against a real super-villain with real powers (or at least devices that give them powers) rather than a clunky origin story.

Quote Originally Posted by capesNmasks View Post
    They are only "no name" because they are new characters. As far as useless is concerned, it takes more than Iron Man, Hulk, and Cap to make the world go round. They aren't omnipotent. It takes all kinds.
    It doesn't need to be Iron man , hulk or cap ect , but all the at least shield agents that marvel fans know of not to mention all tons of other marvel characters that they could use.
    The world's Number 1 Ghost Rider Fan!!!!
    Reading
    Mighty Avengers. Uncanny Avengers* Thunderbolts* Justice League(Forever Evil)