Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Paul Rudd Is Ant-Man -- But Which One?

Several men have donned Ant-Man's helmet in Marvel's comics, but which alter-ego best fits Paul Rudd's talents?

Full article here.

My money's on Lang.

I remember a bit of Scott Lang from the Taskmaster issue where Hank was Yellowjacket and Lang was Ant-Man.

I'm old school. I'd like to see Hank Pym. I'd like to see an Absentminded Professor take on Pym. Take away all the domestic violence. I understand it's real and it needs to be addressed; but give me a Hank that is a hero all the way.

Please, Pym and Scott Lang for support.

they've just hired an actor who can pull that sort of character off.
    *snig* Talk about controversy.

I'm voting for Hank Pym. Address the domestic violence issue. Brett White needs material for his column.

Odds are, likely far away from you.............or Toronto

I'm pretty sure Wright has stated more than once that Hank Pym will be Ant-Man.
    Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all the time and you'll have the time of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Nominus View Post
    I'm pretty sure Wright has stated more than once that Hank Pym will be Ant-Man.
    No, all that he's said is that Hank Pym will be in it. Which doesn't go against the story he wanted to do of Pym as Ant-Man in the 60s and Lang as Ant-Man in the present.

I am quite sure that Kevin Feige has referred to Ant-Man as Hank Pym. I certainly hope the cinematic Ant-Man will be Hank Pym, since the Pym character has so many more dramatic possibilities. Pym is the scientist who creates the Ant-Man serum. Pym can upgrade the serum to make himself Giant Man. Without Pym, how do we get the wonderful Wasp?

If Ant-Man is Hank Pym, I'm sure they will treat his spousal abuse past the same way they dealt with Tony Stark's alcoholism. Just ignore it.

I wanna hear you scream Kevinroc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    No, all that he's said is that Hank Pym will be in it. Which doesn't go against the story he wanted to do of Pym as Ant-Man in the 60s and Lang as Ant-Man in the present.
    I don't think it would literally be Pym was Ant-Man in the 60s (or else he'd be really old during the "present day" scenes) but that he was Ant-Man 20 years or so back instead of 50 or so years back.
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page

I hope it's Pym myself. When written well he's a fascinating eccentric character. And without condoning what he did, it was a one time thing, and during a period of mental instability. I see the mental instability as a bigger part of his actual identity than the hit, which was an error in judgement that he rightfully paid the price for.

Hard to say how the general media will react. They might not report the abuse at all, they may report the slap or, and I hope this isn't the case, they may base their story on the Ultimate version, who is a piece of work. You never know. Spider-man's done worse (punching a pregnant woman across the room, letting another woman trick him into punching her so hard she died) and the media hasn't picked up on that, so maybe Pym will get a pass from the media as well.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brett White
    Outside of the Marvel devout, nobody really knows who Ant-Man is, and those that do often don't know who Scott Lang is.
    Sorry, but that's nonsense. Lang has been Ant-Man for almost 35 years and has been an active presence in both Avengers and FF. O'Grady's only been around for about 5 or 6 years. It's a matter of debate which version is more popular (and, as the story suggests, that depends largely on what era of comics you read) but to the actual marvel devout, Lang is hardly obscure.

My guess is that Rudd is playing Pym, but that the story will also encompass one of his "heirs" (most likely Lang) stealing the gear for his own use with Pym tracking him down and, ultimately, helping him.
    Dr. Jackson: Who makes a movie out of a series that only lasted 3 episodes?

Teal'c: It allegedly performed well on DVD

Pym has been stated to be in the film, but not confirmed as Ant Man. And Wright has said that "To Steal an Ant-Man" (Lang's origin story) was his initial inspiration for the movie.

Feige has stated outright that they aren't doing O'Grady.

I'm thinking Lang will be the Ant Man Rudd plays, but Pym could still be the inventor and a big role, maybe also an Ant Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Westchester View Post
    Pym has been stated to be in the film, but not confirmed as Ant Man. And Wright has said that "To Steal an Ant-Man" (Lang's origin story) was his initial inspiration for the movie.

Feige has stated outright that they aren't doing O'Grady.

I'm thinking Lang will be the Ant Man Rudd plays, but Pym could still be the inventor and a big role, maybe also an Ant Man.
    Yeah, while I also think Rudd is playing Lang, I don't think that stops Pym from having a major role in the film at all.

I personally hope he is playing Eric O'Grady, only because I never liked Pym as Ant-man. I liked him as Yellow Jacket and Wasp, but not Ant-man.

As far as what we've seen before, we really haven't seen super heroes like O'Grady and Pym on the big screen. Yeah, Tony Stark can be crummy sometimes, but he was never a creeper like O'Grady. How great would it be for Marvel to put such a disgusting character on the screen, and somehow by the end of the movie put a glimmer of heroism in him. Also make it a comedy, since it's always easier to like assholes when they make us laugh. And as far as Pym goes, wouldn't it be interesting to put a super hero on the big screen who starts out very good, but in one moment of weakness does slap his wife, and see him suffer with the consequences of his choice and mental illness. And to make it even more interesting, actually have him continue to do good when he eventually gets out of jail, while still struggling with the guilt of what he did, while struggling with his mental illness and how the world treats him after the abuse of his wife.

Using these characters would definently be risky (and definently not for kids), but it would cement Marvel as not being a one trick pony.

Just my opinion.