Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default PREVIEW: Revolutionary War: Knights of Pendragon, #1

• A corporate deep-mining setup unearths an old MYS-TECH base, where magical cloning experiments have been taking place.
    • What mysteries or monsters are waiting in Britain's subterranean bones?
    • Featuring fan-favorite Marvel UK characters Dai Thomas, Pete Wisdom, and Union Jack!

Full article here.

Is that Detective Columbo on the cover? >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Raphael Edwards View Post
    Is that Detective Columbo on the cover? >_>
    Nope that would be Dai Thomas of Scotland Yard, who it is great to see again.

Could be interesting. I enjoyed "Knights of Pendragon" back in the day, despite the changes in Union Jack. However, that's really a non-preview. Two pages that are pretty blah that tell us nothing about what the story is about (unless it's all about spelunking) other than an idea of what the artwork will look like. Previews are supposed to convince people to want to buy it NOW, and this says to me, "maybe wait for the trade".
    Check out my Golden-age encyclopedia: www.herogoggles.com

What I liked about the original Knights of the Pendragon was that it was a non-superhero series set in a superhero world. When the series became more superhero, that's when I dropped the book. Hopefully, this new series will bring back the parts that I liked about the old series, as well as take into account what has happened since then.

You have to love a woman who rapples in a skirt.

Mighty Marvel UK Citizen Willow616's Avatar

Everything about this to me says BUY NOW THE TRADE WILL NOT BE GOOD ENOUGHT! IT WILL BE TOO LATE AND WHEN YOU REALISE YOU LIKE IT MARVEL WON'T CARE AND WON'T MAKE ANYMORE!!!!!!

Dai Thomas is back. That is enough to buy this......if you don't....then retire your Marvel zombie crown....shuffle off to one of the mutitude of X or A titles and never comment on anything ever again unless the threat of Killgore Slaughter is upon you. And if you don't know who that is......READ THIS EVENT!

He isn't in it.....but if you buy it you increase the chances of him turning up...........and his name is cool......
    AVENGERS UK! A free fan comic made by fans for fans! Stiff upper lip old bean!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Love View Post
    Could be interesting. I enjoyed "Knights of Pendragon" back in the day, despite the changes in Union Jack. However, that's really a non-preview. Two pages that are pretty blah that tell us nothing about what the story is about (unless it's all about spelunking) other than an idea of what the artwork will look like. Previews are supposed to convince people to want to buy it NOW, and this says to me, "maybe wait for the trade".
    Read the text that accompanies the art. It tells you exactly what the story is about.... and it sounds awesome!!!

• A corporate deep-mining setup unearths an old MYS-TECH base, where magical cloning experiments have been taking place.

• What mysteries or monsters are waiting in Britain’s subterranean bones?

• Featuring fan-favorite Marvel UK characters Dai Thomas, Pete Wisdom, and Union Jack!
    Man, I can't WAIT! Both this and Kieron Gillen's book sounds wonderful!

Of course, have we seen Axel mention REVOLUTIONARY WAR at all in AiC?

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    Man, I can't WAIT! Both this and Kieron Gillen's book sounds wonderful!

Of course, have we seen Axel mention REVOLUTIONARY WAR at all in AiC?
    Yes. Just less than a month ago.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=49412

Read the text that accompanies the art. It tells you exactly what the story is about.... and it sounds awesome!!!
    That's sorta the equivalent of having the voice over explaining the basic plot of Star Wars with the visuals being of Luke simply talking to his uncle and aunt in their desert home, or simply the opening narrative scroll. Being given the basic plot is fine, but that's NOT A PREVIEW. Comic previews should be a bit like movie trailers, it should get across the feel and tone of the story. It's a selling device and needs to draw in the people that might otherwise not check this book out, not the people that are going to automatically buy it as soon as they hear it's being published. From what I see and the feedback here, yes, it's getting people excited, those that were fans of the series back in the day. But, I don't see anything about it that would communicate excitement to anyone that knows next to nothing about the original series. Let's face it, the most recognizable character on the cover is Union Jack and thus the possibly biggest draw for readers, but nothing tells us about his involvement other than that he's in it.

I'm not purposely singling out this comic. This is something I've seen on a fairly regularly basis, said previews often being simply the first couple of pages of the comic regardless if all they have are panels of talking heads coupled with covers that often have nothing to do with the interior comic, even featuring characters that don't even appear in that particular issue! At some point, the basic concept of marketing has been lost as if they know their audience and customers will buy it regardless.
    Check out my Golden-age encyclopedia: www.herogoggles.com

My reaction to Revolutionary War is basically

Oh god. I don't know why I'm laughing ... cause that's EXACTLY what Marvel's hype machine should have done to avoid that reaction, and what I asked about. Please, feel free to go the Ask Axel thread and ask him about that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    That was a response to a fan question. I didn't see any fans asking about the promotions for Wolverine, of all characters.

Mighty Marvel UK Citizen Willow616's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Megaharrison View Post
    My reaction to Revolutionary War is basically

All the more reason to buy it. There must have been a point when a character was new to you. If no one reads anything new then the MU becomes redundant beyond the A-Listers....and when Disney has strip mined all those of any interest what will they do then?

Oh god. I don't know why I'm laughing ... cause that's EXACTLY what Marvel's hype machine should have done to avoid that reaction, and what I asked about. Please, feel free to go the Ask Axel thread and ask him about that too.
    I asked something dude.....anything to boost some interest.

That was a response to a fan question. I didn't see any fans asking about the promotions for Wolverine, of all characters.
    Thats appalling.
    AVENGERS UK! A free fan comic made by fans for fans! Stiff upper lip old bean!

Less than two weeks to go.