Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Harley Quinn, #1

Jimmy Palmiotti, Amanda Conner and Chad Hardin's "Harley Quinn" #1 doesn't quite seem to know yet what it wants to be, and by trying to be everything, doesn't leave an impression.

Full review here.

Nobody Likes Me

the review describes in good detail my problem with the first issue. It wasn't that funny. I was hoping for some over the top humour, but most of the time they just played it straight. I will keep reading the book, because i love the character, but i don't think what we've seen in the first issue is a winning formular. The zero issue was much better imo.
    Just Ignore Me, Everyone Else Does

Didn't like this at all. The only good thing about it was the art. Of course I hate the character anyways, but I found the zero issue to be enjoyable and I can always give things a chance to alter my opinion. However I just wanted to roll my eyes throughout the book and didn't find anything humorous about it.

Great White North Brian from Canada's Avatar

I think the problem with this review and most people's expectations are that they want Harley Quinn to be funny. It's not. Unlike Deadpool, who's early seriousness has been ignored in favour of the madcap and inane, Harley has been associated with too many serious stories to really be considered that crazy. Heck, in Suicide Squad, she's more psychopathic than insane. More to the point, Harley doesn't come with a situation that provides humour: yes, she has a dark and twisted mind, but she's not an assassin who doesn't mind blowing up in order to catch the reward. As the one-shot from "Villains Month" implies, Harley Quinn didn't embrace the crazy or go nuts, she embraces the abandonment of responsibility which she'd forced herself into throughout her life.

Personally, I thought this was a fine set up issue for the book's new status quo. The opening sequence on the road shows she has a warped set of social norms (puppy/owner) and willingness to kill. The apartment scene, while slowing it down, gives reason for Harley to get two jobs — both of which I suspect are only introduced quickly here to set up future events, particularly with the old people's home that has a secret. And then the assassination attempts give the book an event to deal with right away.

Palmiotti and Connor may not have had a gripping first issue, but I have faith that — by the end of the first arc — we'll have a character that's grounded enough to go the long haul in terms of stories and raise the level on fun along the way. She's no Deadpool (as people were expecting), but she has a charm and personality of her own that make her interesting and unique. (Certainly better than Catwoman at the moment — that book is presently aimless.)

I don't understand the review at all.

This book had some good laughs, set up Harley's new status quo, introduced some new characters and gave us a few mysteries to keep things interesting. It was concise, well written and had great art. How is this not a great issue? This was an exciting and enjoyable first outing.

I'm glad we didn't see Harley go through a bunch of jobs she didn't like and/or was not qualified for. I've seen that gag way too much for it to be that funny. plus, we already had that type of zany silliness is the #0 issue (which was, basically, an entire comic premised on that kind of gag).

This book is going to be a mix of Deadpool (comedy), Loony Toones (cartoon violence) and Hawkeye (off duty superhero who owns an apartment building).

To be honest, it felt like the reviewer went in with a preconceived notion of what s/he though the comic was going to be about and wound up disappointed because it wasn't what s/he was expecting. Happens to all of us from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet-Batman View Post

This book had some good laughs, set up Harley's new status quo, introduced some new characters and gave us a few mysteries to keep things interesting. It was concise, well written and had great art. How is this not a great issue? This was an exciting and enjoyable first outing.

I'm glad we didn't see Harley go through a bunch of jobs she didn't like and/or was not qualified for. I've seen that gag way too much for it to be that funny. plus, we already had that type of zany silliness is the #0 issue (which was, basically, an entire comic premised on that kind of gag).

This book is going to be a mix of Deadpool (comedy), Loony Toones (cartoon violence) and Hawkeye (off duty superhero who owns an apartment building).

To be honest, it felt like the reviewer went in with a preconceived notion of what s/he though the comic was going to be about and wound up disappointed because it wasn't what s/he was expecting. Happens to all of us from time to time.
    This sums up my view also. I thought this issue was good plus it's different to anything else that DC are doing with the other Bat-universe titles.
    In my opinion is implied in every post. Please make an effort to remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet-Batman View Post

That's pretty much how I feel as well so I don't understand this review either unless, as you say, the reviewer went into this with a preconceived notion of what this comic was going to be. In any case I enjoyed this issue and am looking forward to the next one.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.