Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 52
  1. #1
    Mild-Mannered Reporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    28,913

    Default EXCLUSIVE: Ryan Sook Covers "Crazy" DC Weekly Series, "New 52: Futures End"

    Artist Ryan Sook discusses drawing covers and character redesigns while sharing exclusive art for DC Comics' era-spanning weekly series.


    Full article here.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Vanguard01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,404

    Default

    Post-Apocalyptic-everyone's-a-hideous-cyborg-grimdark-all-hope-is-lost DCU?

    Yeah, think I'll be passing on this one.
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
    -- Alfred Lord Tennyson --

  3. #3
    Senior Member FIFTY-TWO (52)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard01 View Post
    Post-Apocalyptic-everyone's-a-hideous-cyborg-grimdark-all-hope-is-lost DCU?

    Yeah, think I'll be passing on this one.
    You do know the story crosses not only time, but dimensions, right? There could just as easily be a happy-go-lucky Rainbow Brite DCU just for you.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

    Oscar Wilde

  4. #4
    Senior Member Vanguard01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    You do know the story crosses not only time, but dimensions, right? There could just as easily be a happy-go-lucky Rainbow Brite DCU just for you.
    First of all, I'm offended that you think I just want "Happy Happy" DCU. I'm okay with darkness, but there's just been so much of it lately that I'm really not interested in much more. I'm certainly not interested in a 52 issue series that's "All dark all the time."

    Second? Yeah, I'll admit, I might be jumping the gun a bit here. But just look at all those covers. If that's what DC wants to post as our first impression about this weekly, then it's not surprising that some people are going to just look at this article and say "Oh, it's another one of THOSE stories" and move on. If there IS more to the story, then maybe they should let us know that right from the start so that these kind of pre-judgements don't happen.
    Last edited by Vanguard01; 12-20-2013 at 08:30 AM.
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
    -- Alfred Lord Tennyson --

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard01 View Post
    Second? Yeah, I'll admit, I might be jumping the gun a bit here. But just look at all those covers. If that's what DC wants to post as our first impression about this weekly, then it's not surprising that some people are going to just look at this article and say "Oh, it's another one of THOSE stories" and move on. If there IS more to the story, then maybe they should let us know that right from the start so that these kind of pre-judgements don't happen.
    I kind of agree with this. Stories that are grim, dark, and even grimdark are fine with me but I'm bored to death with future distopia stories. Everyone seems really excited about this project but I want more information before committing to it.

  6. #6
    Long Live the Legion Zero Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,293

    Default

    For some reason just makes me think of this as DC's version of "Age of Ultron" just with Brother Eye in the Ultron role. It better hope it comes out better than that massive mess did. Either way I don't have alot of interst so far.

  7. #7

    Default

    Yea! More dystopian deconstruction of time honored archetypes! Now BORG-ified! (groan...)

    I couldn't agree more with the anti dystopian comments.. I said pretty much last week that this take was dooming JL 3000 right out of the gate. I honestly don't know what zeitgeist DC editorial thinks they're tapping in to. As someone raised on the hope of Star Wars or the optimism of Star Trek, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and admit that I'm at the tipping point in my age where I'm not hip to current pop trends.. Or that because the video game mythologies of Arkham and Injustice Gods are dictating these directions because they sell so well. Which ever is the case, there's so much dystopia goin on in the real world today, I'd like a little escapism back in my comic books, thank you.

    What I'm initially seeing here is and Age of Apocalypse type event. With Brother Eye in the art I'm starting to think this is a springboard to brining in anything from OMAC to Kamandi as an attempt to revitalize the Kirby properties they have.. But with our greatest heroes borgified.. after being sucker punched and stuck in Firestorm's head for most of the year... I don't think we're going to get as interesting characters as we did in AoA.
    'It's all fun and games until the flying monkeys attack."

  8. #8
    Life is Viewtiful jaytalks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    66

    Default

    I love Ryan Sook's art since I first saw him on X-Factor #1, but this concept art does nothing really for me. I think he will do great covers regardless of the story contained within.

  9. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Whatta' bunch of pissy-pants!
    Given the talent involved, I'm hoping for something entertaining....and relevant to the larger DC 'New 52' Narrative. I also like the urgency of a weekly, universe-spanning epic. Hopefully, like 52, it'll move at a refreshing pace compared to the typically decompressed stories dominating much of the output these days.
    And unlike Marvel's multitude of dystopian futures, the DC Universe has offered up a more utopian version with the LSH concept (~~initially, anyway!). I wouldn't mind seeing them explore a darker, 'potential' near-future.
    Ryan Sook is tops! Looking forward to some great images!

  10. #10
    LA now, NYC born & raised Ziza9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard01 View Post
    First of all, I'm offended that you think I just want "Happy Happy" DCU. I'm okay with darkness, but there's just been so much of it lately that I'm really not interested in much more. I'm certainly not interested in a 52 issue series that's "All dark all the time."

    Second? Yeah, I'll admit, I might be jumping the gun a bit here. But just look at all those covers. If that's what DC wants to post as our first impression about this weekly, then it's not surprising that some people are going to just look at this article and say "Oh, it's another one of THOSE stories" and move on. If there IS more to the story, then maybe they should let us know that right from the start so that these kind of pre-judgements don't happen.
    It's only two covers. The top image is a shot of Cyborg Supes from the group image with Batman Beyond. Besides that, there is only one other cover shown, the concept sketch for #0.

    I'm excited for this. I'm not burnt out on dystopian futures, as long as the story is good and entertaining.
    Child of the Bronze Age.
    My Con schedule: Wondercon, E3, SDCC

    The Padre (Guy Padre) @ http://godhatesgeeks.com/

  11. #11
    Disciple of En Sabah Nur Harbinger of Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,079

    Default

    The people involved in this project makes it interesting to me. Plus, I am keen to see Brother Eye and OMAC again plus a good story with Firestorm. More on Frankenstein is good also.
    I am Apocalypse! Look upon the future and tremble!
    I am as far beyond Mutants as they are beyond you. I am eternal.
    Evil? I am not malevolent, I simply am!

  12. #12
    Veteran Member Punisher284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8,870

    Default

    I have a question for people who are tired of "dystopian futures" in comics. If the future is a bright and sunny place, then why do we even need heroes at all? Also, DS9 showed that Star Trek was NOT all bright and optimistic, and to a lesser extend Voyager did as well.

  13. #13
    Could've been Dooma. eXplorer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    1,017

    Default

    I don't mind dark and grim, dystopian futures and all of that (and i agree that in some ways it's needed to present the contrast to the heroes, the duality, etc), however.. i agree with the sentiment that everything shouldn't be that and perhaps even the overall tone shouldn't be encompassed by it.

    You can have a darkness, a bleak future and all of that while still maintaining a certain tone to the overall grand scheme.

    Marvel does it, look at Psych/Castle... they deal with crime/murder and at times a bleak potential but the overall tone is in contrast to that. I believe that's what DC is lacking in the midst of it all.

    I feel like comics should have that overall tone in the grand scheme in which a Pysch or Castle or that Marvel currently has.
    Last edited by eXplorer; 12-20-2013 at 03:06 PM.

  14. #14
    Mind Controller ArnoldoAAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    San Jose, Costa Rica
    Posts
    7,807

    Default

    I think this might be good enough if only because I get a feeling like this is an Elseworlds, kinda like Flashpoint.

    I dont mind the grim dark either, I do have a problem with the grim and dark being completely rampant in the entire line but it doesnt mean that i dont enjoy the genre, I just think DC could use a lot lot lot less grimness in their books

    this also reminds me a little bit of Age of Ultron
    Check out the Comicfrontline
    The Self-destruction of New 52 FINAL PART
    Click here
    Check out Batwatchhttp://batwatch.net/

  15. #15
    Mind Controller ArnoldoAAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    San Jose, Costa Rica
    Posts
    7,807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher284 View Post
    I have a question for people who are tired of "dystopian futures" in comics. If the future is a bright and sunny place, then why do we even need heroes at all? Also, DS9 showed that Star Trek was NOT all bright and optimistic, and to a lesser extend Voyager did as well.
    I dont think people are tired of Dystopian futures in comics
    people are most likely tired of Dystopian presents
    Check out the Comicfrontline
    The Self-destruction of New 52 FINAL PART
    Click here
    Check out Batwatchhttp://batwatch.net/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •