Page 26 of 168 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatican View Post

Psh. It's an office Christmas party, hardly a family gathering. And it lasted, like, three pages, and then went back to the characters not particularly mattering beyond being there to hit things and advance the plot. And even with those three pages, most of them got only a single line. Some didn't even get that much. Cannonball's entire contribution was "Me too." Hawkeye and Starbrand got "Cars."

This is what passes for character work under Hickman. Blah.
    I was actually going to dismantle your post before I came to the conclusion that a single picture response would suffice.....

Merry Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    That isn't an office party.

Maybe if you work for Google, you get to have office parties like that.

And I'd take the character work complaints seriously if 2/3ds of the Xmen weren't wallpaper.

Bendis can't even get Emma's voice right let alone give her something to do.
    It is what it is brah. :smh: & LOL all at 1nce.
    Last edited by Mr MajestiK; 12-24-2013 at 11:33 AM.
    Brother Chaos Bringer

Professional TROLL killer

Awww! YoU caught my logic slug. Did it hurt your brain?

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    There was a point where Uncanny Avengers DID in fact have Alex get in front of cameras and address his views about mutants and what not. And frankly I think Remender got more complaints about going in that direction than he does when he sticks to good guys beating up bad guys.

Ultimately I think it's more a matter of writers having different styles. Bendis likes the talking heads type stories while Remender tends to be a bit more action driven. I don't think either style is wrong or better than the other... it's simply a matter of taste.

But even comics which do incorporate elements of politics or social commentary are still ultimately about good guys punching out bad guys. That's always been the heart of the medium, and it always will be.
    Remender got flak because his solution was that of someone who has little to no real understanding of minority/majority relations.

I do think that while cape comics will almost certainly focus on physical threats you can still have other aspects of civil rights and pro-mutant media within the stories. Morrison brought up stuff like Xavier being a billionaire funding X-corp, the cultural differences between Western views on mutants vs that of mutants in Japan, mutant culture and even mutant targeted drug use.

Even if it's background stuff it would make the mutant struggle more grounded/realistic. Throw in commercials/posters of Avengers doing "It Gets Better" anti-bullying stuff.

eta: What kind of characterization do people want from Hickman? I don't want to go back to more breakfast table conversations and garbage stories we got at the end of Bendis's run. I'm way more interested in Hickman upping the threat level and seeing the Avengers take on the Incursions.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    There was a point where Uncanny Avengers DID in fact have Alex get in front of cameras and address his views about mutants and what not. And frankly I think Remender got more complaints about going in that direction than he does when he sticks to good guys beating up bad guys.

Ultimately I think it's more a matter of writers having different styles. Bendis likes the talking heads type stories while Remender tends to be a bit more action driven. I don't think either style is wrong or better than the other... it's simply a matter of taste.

But even comics which do incorporate elements of politics or social commentary are still ultimately about good guys punching out bad guys. That's always been the heart of the medium, and it always will be.
    Alex's speech got criticized because it was a dumb speech. Regardless, though, I still feel like UA is a huge missed opportunity, and might've been better served by a different writer.

That isn't an office party.

Maybe if you work for Google, you get to have office parties like that.

And I'd take the character work complaints seriously if 2/3ds of the Xmen weren't wallpaper.

Bendis can't even get Emma's voice right let alone give her something to do.
    Of course the Avengers are going to have particularly awesome Christmas parties, but that's still all it really is. They're not a family getting together for the holidays. They're co-workers hanging out. The Avengers aren't a family now. They've never really been a family, though a few characters have found family in the Avengers. But they're especially not a family right now. (For one thing, they all seem to get along fairly well. That party needs someone ranting about politics and another person drinking way too much and complaining about how shitty his life is. Then it might approach a family Christmas.)

Bendis struggled a bit with Emma early on, but he's been doing some good stuff with her. And Bendis has been getting much, much better about spreading the character work out. The last two issues of UXM barely used Scott at all, and it looks like the next one will be similar. Bendis has possibly given himself too large a cast, much as Hickman did, but he's done a better job balancing his cast than Hickman has. And it's still very much a character-driven series Bendis is writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sciborg View Post
    Remender got flak because his solution was that of someone who has little to no real understanding of minority/majority relations.

I do think that while cape comics will almost certainly focus on physical threats you can still have other aspects of civil rights and pro-mutant media within the stories. Morrison brought up stuff like Xavier being a billionaire funding X-corp, the cultural differences between Western views on mutants vs that of mutants in Japan, mutant culture and even mutant targeted drug use.

Even if it's background stuff it would make the mutant struggle more grounded/realistic. Throw in commercials/posters of Avengers doing "It Gets Better" anti-bullying stuff.

eta: What kind of characterization do people want from Hickman? I don't want to go back to more breakfast table conversations and garbage stories we got at the end of Bendis's run. I'm way more interested in Hickman upping the threat level and seeing the Avengers take on the Incursions.
    I actually kinda miss the breakfast table conversations. I'm just a fan of character-driven stories. With Hickman's Avengers, the characters are pretty much interchangeable. You could swap out just about anyone in the book, and it wouldn't affect the dynamics at all.

As for the rest, yeah. That's the kind of thing I want. I want mutants treated as a minority, and I want to see the sort of efforts that go into civil rights movements.

Quote Originally Posted by mr majestik View Post
    i was actually going to dismantle your post before i came to the conclusion that a single picture response would suffice.....

merry christmas.

It is what it is brah. :smh: & lol all at 1nce.
    lol! Happy holidays!
    Animals sense weakness, sharks smell blood in water
    Ishmael, Moses and Job, knew the divine order.

Quote Originally Posted by timeismoney View Post
    lol! Happy holidays!
    Same to you my friend.
    Brother Chaos Bringer

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Same to you my friend.
    You to. And in my opinion Hickman Avengers is far above BMB X-Men as the sky is the ground. LOL!
    Animals sense weakness, sharks smell blood in water
    Ishmael, Moses and Job, knew the divine order.

BANNED

I actually kinda miss the breakfast table conversations. I'm just a fan of character-driven stories. With Hickman's Avengers, the characters are pretty much interchangeable. You could swap out just about anyone in the book, and it wouldn't affect the dynamics at all.

As for the rest, yeah. That's the kind of thing I want. I want mutants treated as a minority, and I want to see the sort of efforts that go into civil rights movements.
    Character focus isn't an excuse to skimp on plot or action, the idea is that our heroes are supposed to grow as people WHILE having epic adventures, instead of having the two be totally separate which is silly if you think about it. Nobody ever discovered some fundamental truth about themselves while eating breakfast.

Re: Uncanny Avengers and "The Speech":

A guy who can and does assimilate with no problem sees the world differenly than a guy who can't.
    Remender got THAT part right. Even if he did so by accident.

Its not like the exponents of whatever weird identity politics that Mutants expouse have done anything
    other than give Havok grief in one way or another.

Why would Alex buy into the brotherhood bit?

I'd call bullshit on him personally having any other attitude towards the matter really. Being a mutant isn't
    part of who he is (or any of the O5, aside from maybe Beast) in the same way it is for Nightcrawler.
    Last edited by Vic Vega; 12-24-2013 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOff View Post
    Character focus isn't an excuse to skimp on plot or action, the idea is that our heroes are supposed to grow as people WHILE having epic adventures, instead of having the two be totally separate which is silly if you think about it. Nobody ever discovered some fundamental truth about themselves while eating breakfast.
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I thought Bendis' Avengers run was mediocre, and that as dialogue-heavy as it was, most of the dialogue was fairly shallow. But at the same time, it's always nice to have the relationships between the characters explored, something that I feel is totally lacking in Hickman's run on Avengers.

A guy who can and does assimilate with no problem sees the world differenly than a guy who can't.

Its not like the exponents of whatever weird identity politics that Mutants expouse have done anything

I'd call bullshit on him personally having any other attutude towards the matter really. Being a mutant isn't
    part of who he is (or any of the O5, aside from maybe Beast) in the same way it is for Nightcrawler.
    I would just say that being a mutant is a major part of Scott's identity, since he can't really control his power. He may be able to pass for human, but if he trips and knocks his glasses off he could kill someone, and he's very aware of that. So he can be added to the list of O5 for whom being a mutant is a major part of their everyday life.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman Priime View Post
    I'm curious as to where the idea that Storm is bisexual came from. Saw it tossed around recently, but since I'm not a hard core follower of the X-titles, I missed where it originated from.
    She also had a vaguely implied relationship with Yukio in the past. There was a scene where she was promised her heart's desire, and it was Yukio. (This was a long time ago -- back in the 80's -- so bear with me if my memory of the scene isn't perfect.)

I had two big problems with AoA. First, it was just way too dark. Like, ridiculously dark, past the point of even being interesting any more. The original AoA was a crapsack world; this version went beyond even that. Dark isn't bad, but this book just took it to such an extreme that I saw no reason to give a damn about anything that was going on.

Second, Prophet. Awful character. Such a damned Mary Sue. Everything always went exactly according to his plan. Throughout the entire frigging run, everything always worked out perfectly for him. That's boring. The fact that he never actually suffered a single setback was just stupid. Even when he appeared to suffer a setback, it was all part of his plan.

You're also right about it being obvious. Predictable, even.

As for Teen Jean, this is the most interesting I've ever found the character. She's got an edge that 616 Jean seldom had, and even Lapham's AoA Jean largely lacked. It's a Jean who reads minds without permission, and even manipulates minds when it suits her purposes. It's very interesting to see.
    The AoA is one of the most interesting stories Marvel has ever come up with, imo. ;-) I loved it back when it was first introduced as a splinter universe rather than a true AU. The 616 plays with dystopian futures often enough, and this was an entire current world that was essentially one of those. I loved the parallels with 616 characters and how much difference the influence of one man made in how their lives turned out.

As far as Prophet goes, he was the human version of Professor X with the same type of schtick. /shrug

I enjoyed having a story with a beginning, end and middle, unlike one long rambling dialogue with no clear boundaries or purpose (a sit com, basically).

I disagree about teen Jean. She's cute, but just seems more bratty than appearing to have an edge. Even saying he didn't want baggage, Bendis has been quick to borrow heavily from what other writers have done already, from her being a point of competition for two males, her struggling to control her powers all the way to recreating the trial of Jean Grey by the Shi'ar.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Family, camraderie and all that good stuff. (Hotdogs and pie inclusive)

Ok, that's class. :D Bring forth the pies!

Re: Uncanny Avengers and "The Speech":

I'd call bullshit on him personally having any other attitude towards the matter really. Being a mutant isn't

Agree. I think having Nightcrawler on the team would change the message and dynamics really without ever having to say much of anything. He would automatically bring in notion of the mutants who can't assimilate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundowhn View Post
    Ok, that's class. :D Bring forth the pies!
    Most definitely.

Pie rules all.

Especially, Beer Pies.

Brother Chaos Bringer

Quote Originally Posted by Sundowhn View Post
    The AoA is one of the most interesting stories Marvel has ever come up with, imo. ;-) I loved it back when it was first introduced as a splinter universe rather than a true AU. The 616 plays with dystopian futures often enough, and this was an entire current world that was essentially one of those. I loved the parallels with 616 characters and how much difference the influence of one man made in how their lives turned out.

As far as Prophet goes, he was the human version of Professor X with the same type of schtick. /shrug

I enjoyed having a story with a beginning, end and middle, unlike one long rambling dialogue with no clear boundaries or purpose (a sit com, basically).
    The original Age of Apocalypse was great. A really fun story. Lapham's series was awful.

Quote Originally Posted by timeismoney View Post
    You to. And in my opinion Hickman Avengers is far above BMB X-Men as the sky is the ground. LOL!
    Bro, you know I'm not even going to trip.

Brian Bendis is good at what he does and anyone being fair will recognize that. It's just that his convoluted time story plot juxtaposed against the whole extended feud with Cyclops is just hella long winded.

Avengers #24 starts 3030AD, shifts to rooftop party time in 2013 before moving on to rescuing the world before the time traveller jumps back to the future on time all within one neat issue.

No lengthy, drawn out convoluted "event" or complicated mess.

Pure bliss.
    Brother Chaos Bringer