Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default THE MAYO REPORT: Are Event Title Sales Cooling?

John Mayo looks at November 2013 sales data, wondering if event sales are slowing down and comparing Marvel NOW! with the New 52.

Full article here.

I'd be curious to see a similar charting of the sales of just the event series for the last eight years or so.

Not bad. A lot of valid points. Overall a good analysis
    Say No to decompressed storytelling!

Bellechere for the win!!!

European Union: XXI Century New USSR
    I am anti-EU

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Is it possible that "event fatigue" is finally starting to set in for readers?
    "We're from Philadelphia, and we fight."
    ---Chip Kelly, Head Coach, Philadelphia Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Probably yes, although I think it has more to do with the number of events stacked on top of one another. We've had Battle of the Atom, Forever Evil, Infinity and Villains Month on top of the Zero Year tie ins, Trinity War, Psi-War and Cataclysm in the last 5~ish months. This is of course coming on the heels of Age of Ultron, Throne of Atlantis, Requiem, Lights Out, Wrath of the First Lantern and H'el on Earth.

I think it's telling that DC books continue to sell at a certain level after all this time while the Marvel books for the most part keep losing sales until the drop to the point where Marvel cancels the books and restarts them again, only to see the same pattern, as was suggested in this analysis. D.C. has a handful of books that sell over 100,000 copies, but I don't think Marvel can say that about any title that's passed issue 5. I think readers are getting tired of the perpetual reboots and restarts and renumbering.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet-Batman View Post
    Probably yes, although I think it has more to do with the number of events stacked on top of one another. We've had Battle of the Atom, Forever Evil, Infinity and Villains Month on top of the Zero Year tie ins, Trinity War, Psi-War and Cataclysm in the last 5~ish months. This is of course coming on the heels of Age of Ultron, Throne of Atlantis, Requiem, Lights Out, Wrath of the First Lantern and H'el on Earth.
    And there's the biggest problem, the sheer number of events pumped out in a short period of time, not allowing readers the opportunity to decompress. It's just one after another after another, almost non-stop, and that's crazy. Sooner or later, something has to break, and that could be the readers.
    "We're from Philadelphia, and we fight."
    ---Chip Kelly, Head Coach, Philadelphia Eagles

Only took about 30 years.

Events should only be once every 3 or 4 years at minimum. Event after event is just annoying, expensive, and lessens the experience of the books because you get little down time. Even things like Battle for the Atom or Lights out are annoying because you sometimes have to buy books you normally don't.

I can only speak for myself, so whether it is true for other readers or not I can't say. But the relentless mind numbing events is one of the main reason this one time Marvel Zombie reads only one Marvel title now. And that is DD which seems to stay out of the big crossover clusterf**ks.

Long Live the Legion Zero Hunter's Avatar

I think it is the "this event is just leading into the next event" thing that is really starting to drive people away. Another thing is make them go faster. When you have an event book going for 7 or 8 months no matter how good it is it will lose momentum. In a perfect world event books if they have to be 7 or 8 issues (which the don't) then make them bi weekly that way you don't tie in the other books (like the Avengers) for that same time period with moslty needless filler or stuff that should be in the main mini series proper.

I am not very well versed on the figures related to comic sales so could somebody explain a few things?

1. Are overall sales even, mildly declining, or severely declining?
    2. If sales are declining, what is the projected date by which the trend would lead to shutting down production?
    3. The sales decline between the beginning of an event and later is quite severe- some comics lose over 80% of their readers in just 2 to 3 years- how is this possible? Are readers that fickle?
    4. if titles are constantly being rebooted, is continuity a thing of the past?
    5. Is the increasing need to have "events" to draw readers a good or bad sign?
    6. Are readers losing their interest in a long series? Do they want shorter story cycles? Will this lead to single issue stories if trends continue?

Any thoughts are appreciated- thanks

just bumping this once to see if anyone missed it that may have some answers- thanks

It's always short lived. Batman dying again aught to fix it.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress