Veteran Member

Default Animal Man #26 Discussion/Spoilers

Short thoughts: Solid issue I suppose but I was expecting a bit more.

Yikes. A few impressive pages of art but.... that was disappointing. Outside of some of those double-page spreads I just plain did not find the art a match to the story, which itself was just so random and out of place from the rest of the run... It's a bit sad really, as I can tell Lemire and DC are just winding this down.
    Last edited by Groundh0g; 12-19-2013 at 03:12 AM.

I would have enjoyed this more if I didn't knew that Animal Man was ending in March.

It expanded on mythos showing "origin" of red and green and how others (but not all) planets have red/green/rot and how there must be balance, otherwise something terrible might happen. It gave Buddy a power upgrade that he badly needed to defeat evil totem and Brother Blood. Yet in the end it felt like an issue of Swamp Thing and not of Animal Man, more focus on world building than on personal stuff.

Its not a bad thing by any means but knowing that series are ending I want more stuff about Buddy and his family, not about origins of red and green.
    lots of dots

I enjoyed it. I like Animal Man getting a bigger role in the DCU, I like that he got a power up, and how it might allow him to use his powers in new and interesting ways, and I liked that it seems to be headed toward a bittersweet ending where Buddy gets swept away after saving his family and finally restoring his marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    I enjoyed it. I like Animal Man getting a bigger role in the DCU, I like that he got a power up, and how it might allow him to use his powers in new and interesting ways, and I liked that it seems to be headed toward a bittersweet ending where Buddy gets swept away after saving his family and finally restoring his marriage.
    I thought that at first too, But he is in the new JLA book later this year.

This is true. I don't expect it to play out exactly that way, which makes it even more interesting. If it was that obvious it wouldn't be entertaining. Lemire made it seem like the book would have a bittersweet ending, and it most certainly involves this issue. I don't believe that Lemire would dedicated one issue to introducing a Deus Ex Machina that will allow Buddy the strength he needs to save the day. I am certain there will be some sort of personal consequence that will be revealed at the end of the run.

It seemed to me like this issue was amping up Buddy for JLC, which Lemire has stated will be "cosmic" in scope. I mean if they'll be traveling to other planets in JLC he couldn't very well have Buddy powerless every time. As such, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see much payoff (other than in an emotional sense) to the events of this issue before the end of the run. Anyway, even though it wasn't my favourite issue I still enjoyed this, though I probably would have enjoyed it more if it hadn't had such a dramatic shift in tone from previous issues.

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

I dunno I found both art, and story to be pretty great. I dunno if I'm the only who felt this but it was fitting that once again Buddy meets his maker. Just in this case he wasn't a Scottish author.
    "CBR. Complain, b**ch, and rant." - Greg Capullo

messageboard hyperbole is laughably bad, by a country mile. :rolls eyes: