Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default With Great Hype Comes Great Disappointment: "Agents of SHIELD" Battles Expectations

Are unrealistic expectations to blame for fans' disappointment with the first season of "Marvel's Agents of SHIELD?"

Full article here.

I first posted about the lack of known characters months ago and got ran over the coals by other forum members. So I guess I wasn't wrong.
    Last edited by Glasswalker64; 12-18-2013 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Are unrealistic expectations to blame for fans' disappointment with the first season of "Marvel's Agents of SHIELD?"
    For the most part, yes.

Odds are, likely far away from you.............or Toronto

Agree with most of this. The show's certainly been a disappointment but it has been slowly improving. Even Ward is starting to become a little less boring.
    Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all the time and you'll have the time of your life.

Can't comment about its current quality, but the problem with first three episodes was mediocre plot and cliche characters. Its ties to the Marvel Universe may be the only thing that allowed it to continue long enough to start improving (at least I read comments that it slowly does) instead of getting canceled before a midseason finale aired.

I definitely think disappointment over expectations about the lack of appearances by known Marvel characters is part of the numbers decline. I think a lot of people were expecting there to be a different guest hero or villain (or both) every week, but whether it's a good or bad thing, that's not what the show is about. It's "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.," not the random Marvel character hour. It's about the team we're shown. Could there be more known character appearances, though? Definitely. But I think expectations weren't managed well in that regard.

Which isn't to say the show doesn't have any other problems, but I think it's been getting better.

Neo Evangelical Geniuses bebopeva88's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blake Northcott
    ...what [Agents of SHIELD] is (a good program that continues to improve)
    Naaaaaaaaaaaaaah
    "It's pretty much as bebopeva88 says really. He is wise and the knower of all things!" -- Ben Templesmith

"Your opinion is like 10 mortal men's." RolandJP

Quote Originally Posted by Celestin View Post
    Can't comment about its current quality, but the problem with first three episodes was mediocre plot and cliche characters. Its ties to the Marvel Universe may be the only thing that allowed it to continue long enough to start improving (at least I read comments that it slowly does) instead of getting canceled before a midseason finale aired.
    I agree with this comment. But I would add to mediocre plot: poor writing and bad acting. The first few episodes were so terrible that I tried to do other things while watching to get through them (surf the internet, read comics) but gave up. I started again around episode 7 (nothing else to watch) and it has gotten better and reached 'watchable' status. Actually, the status in my mind is that I will keep watching it as long as it doesn't get terrible again, but I secretly hope it is canceled so I can stop watching it.

The problem I think is not so much high expectations as a failure to quickly set out a story for the season. In the old days, each episode you could stand alone, but nowadays, every action show has to have a season-long arc. I don't put much weight on the the failure to include Marvel characters as a reason for the low ratings because I don't think most viewers are comic fans.

Sandy Hausler

My problems were due to two things. First, I do not watch a lot of TV so there was a very good chance I would not be following the show in the first place. Second, the first episode did not grab my interest. It relied too much on Coulson. None of the other characters stood out, they all seemed to be the same to me, and the plot was lacking. By the end of the episode it looked like they expected some cliche speech by Coulson and some attempted sympathy with the 'villain', as well as what they could muster for special effects, to carry the show. That and the hype.

The show could be a lot better than my first impression, but if it is I will just wait for the blu-rays or Netflix.

I am always frustrated by complaints of not enough superheroes. This show can't be responsible for the upcoming Avengers sequel (for example) to suddenly take place in a world with Alpha Flight, Darkhawk, Moon Knight, whoever.. especially cheap versions of those characters. Whether or not a character can support their own movie isn't the only thing to take into consideration when deciding if they should appear in the show.

There are definitely problems with the show, though.. line delivery that doesn't seem to match the meaning of the words is one, but awkward, stilted writing doesn't help.

The biggest problem by far though is the lack of style. There's nothing inherently wrong with the plotting, it's just that it gets from point A to B to C with no sense of whimsy or wit in terms of how it gets there. There's nothing wrong with the conception of the characters, and I'm sure there's interesting stuff yet to be explored about all of them, but so far it hasn't made the most of their various quirks or flaws, to give us a reason to root for them. Like, Ward's stiffness should be an endearing feature of his character over time, and maybe it will be, but so far it's hard to say if it's even intentional at all.

This article is subtly incorrect. The problem wasn't overhype, but mismarketing. They marketed it as a show that will expand the Marvel Universe on screen using characters from the comics, teasing that any Marvel character could show up at any time. Instead we got a poor man's Chuck meets poor man's X-Files. They simply marketed the show as something it isn't.

That said, the pacing of the plot has been terrible and definitely hurts the show worse than anything else. We only got our first cliffhanger and real plot development in the midsession finale. Every other episode has been a monster of the week type deal. First rule of serial storytelling; the story has to move. SHIELD has failed at that so far, but I'm optimistic they can address the issues that plague the show in the season's second half.

Essentially, SHIELD fails in every way that Arrow excels, and they should move by their example.
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

Elder Member

double post--deleted
    Dr. Jackson: Who makes a movie out of a series that only lasted 3 episodes?

Teal'c: It allegedly performed well on DVD

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    The problem I think is not so much high expectations as a failure to quickly set out a story for the season. In the old days, each episode you could stand alone, but nowadays, every action show has to have a season-long arc. I don't put much weight on the the failure to include Marvel characters as a reason for the low ratings because I don't think most viewers are comic fans.

Sandy Hausler
    Why does every action show have to have a season long arc? Is that a rule? Does that automatically make a show better? If the only reason for having it is because it's what people expect, then I'd say people being disappointed about not getting it falls under the heading of "unrealistic expectations." More significantly, however, there is a season long arc in SHIELD: the hunt for Centipede. It was set up in the first episode and has been a recurring/underlying impetus ever since. The fact that not every minute of every episode focuses on it doesn't change that. Not every episode of Person of Interest focused on taking down HR, not minute of every episode of the Mentalist focused on the hunt for Red John. There can be other story beats over the course of a season.
    Dr. Jackson: Who makes a movie out of a series that only lasted 3 episodes?

Teal'c: It allegedly performed well on DVD

Anyone disappointed with S.H.I.E.L.D. is welcome to tune into Arrow on Wednesday nights. That's a show that does it right, and if they can do the same for The Flash next year, Disney has no excuse about the budget for doing these things. You have ABC/Disney vs. a CW TV show. How come CW can do these shows right and ABC can't?