Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Blackman Cuts To The Heart Of Marvel's "Elektra"

Writer Haden Blackman speaks about taking over "Elektra" from Zeb Wells and his plans for reinventing the assassin for Marvel Comics.

Full article here.

If Bullseye doesn't come in out of the gate, that makes it easier to look forward to this book.

Elektra needs a life outside of Matt's and that includes having her own antagonists. I wouldn't mind her co-opting Lady Bullseye though.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Roll up the PARTITION plz Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

I loved Batwoman and those X-M:Legacy covers were amazing...and my only interaction with the character was Bill Sienkiewicz's Original Limited Series so I'm definitely looking forward to this.
    Sun and Moon
    Ororo Munroe...God's own X-MAN
    Storm deserves her very own solo ongoing...unfortunately..."Limited minds place limits on everything but their own foolishness." (aja_c.)

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

Thumbs up

EXCITED!!! Along with Ms. Marvel and Black Widow, this is the other solo series I am incredibly stoked for! Loved this bit especially:

I really wanted to try and build her own supporting cast, and one of the central themes of the first issue is Elektra coming to terms with the fact that she's been defined by other people her whole life. Now its her opportunity to define who she is, on her own terms. I really want to take her in a new direction and explore who she is by -- and I think we say this in the press release -- pushing her into the far corners of the Marvel Universe and putting her in situations that are unexpected for her as a character, that maybe she hasn't been in before. And introduce, like we did with "Batwoman," a rogues gallery and a new supporting cast in some respects.

"I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

I'm picking this up either way, but I feel like you could take the name "Elektra" and replace it with just about any other character and still have the same interview.

Just sayin'.

I was going to be buying this whatever but its good to have an idea of Blackman's plans. The introduction of a supporting cast is definitely a good move. I do think that his ideas seem slightly more vague than Zeb's and having her become an assassin hunter had me excited. Still he does seem to have affection for her and I'm intrigued as to what he will be doing.
    ELEKTRA*LADY MASTERMIND*DAREDEVIL*ARIEL

Excellent interview. Puts pretty much all of my issues aside, and restores my excitement (though it's not like I wasn't going to buy this book anyway).

Looking forward to Blackman's take on the character, and despite Wells' idea that we would never be inside Elektra's head, I am not opposed to some inner monologue from time to time....

After a 2+ year break from Marvel Comics, this book could bring me back. Only until it gets caught up in some line-wide crossover, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by eclecticmess View Post
    After a 2+ year break from Marvel Comics, this book could bring me back. Only until it gets caught up in some line-wide crossover, of course.
    She isn't the sort of character to get swept up in these big-ass events so you should be okay on that score!
    ELEKTRA*LADY MASTERMIND*DAREDEVIL*ARIEL

Well if this book is about putting Elektra in new situations, she just might get a tie-in issue here and there...

Did i miss an announcement or something? did Marvel hire a whole bunch of ex-DC editorial? First Inhumans gets a writer swap, now Electra. what the hell?
    Thanks,
    Kevin-J

Yes! Excited now was worried after Wells left

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin-J View Post
    Did i miss an announcement or something? did Marvel hire a whole bunch of ex-DC editorial? First Inhumans gets a writer swap, now Electra. what the hell?
    To be fair Charles Soule writes 3 books for Marvel, She-Hulk starting in feb, thunderbolts been on for awhile , and now Inhumans and he only writes 2 for DC, SM/WW which just started and Swamp Thing

He's actually got three at DC as well; he also writes Red Lanterns.

Zeb Wells got pulled into Hollywood commitments. I believe they are Star Wars: Detours as well as Hell & Back.

Solid interview. Blackman did excellent work on BATWOMAN when he took it over. So I am still very excited for this book.
    Last edited by Global Honored; 12-18-2013 at 08:20 PM.