Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Pipeline - Dec 17, 2013

Miracleman gets recolored! BOOM! goes big! Conventional wisdom debunked! Four really good comics from 2013! And lots more!

Full article here.

As someone who has come to comics relatively late in the game -- and certainly long after Miracleman was published -- your opinions on the "updated" coloring of Miracleman have no basis other than opinion. And quite frankly your opinion has no more merit than anyone's. The high definition statement was preposterous. Write about what you know, not about what you want others to feel.

Quote Originally Posted by DocSpin View Post
    As someone who has come to comics relatively late in the game -- and certainly long after Miracleman was published -- your opinions on the "updated" coloring of Miracleman have no basis other than opinion. And quite frankly your opinion has no more merit than anyone's. The high definition statement was preposterous. Write about what you know, not about what you want others to feel.
    Chill out Doc.

He just saying what he thinks. It's an opinion piece. And I don't see anything in his opinion that his is the right and only one. And I like the new coloring and I've read a lot of the original Miracleman run. I agree with his opinion that Marvel found a middle ground. That's my opinion and it's not the right and only one.
    Stetsons are cool!~The Doctor

@Zevad -- and yet you felt compelled to reiterate his position. Troll on............

@Zevad -- and yet you felt compelled to reiterate his position. Troll on............
    There's a bit of strange misplaced hostility in there. Zevad blatantly isn't trolling. The jury's still out on you.

FWIW, there's no point getting bent out of shape by the new colouring because the original was black and white. Even Gary Leach, the original artist, hated the Eclipse colouring.

If it makes my opinion more valid (and it doesn't), I read the Eclipse Miracleman as it came out and I think the new colouring is an improvement. I might get upset if they mess up the colouring in the John Tottleben issues though.

I'm just happy that these issues will FINALLY be reprinted so I can read them. The recoloring seems similar to what Vertigo did with the Sandman in the Absolute collections. I had just completed the 1st printing set fo the HC's so I didn't chase those, but they looked excellent.
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

This topic of Miracleman and the updating of the colors has already been discussed...and the reactions are pretty mixed. http://robot6.comicbookresources.com...ipse-original/ a

@ CrimsonRain666 -- thank you, this is what I was getting at. It seems more than likely that Augie-- as a CBR contributor -- was well aware of this range of reaction before posting. His first mention placement seems to verify this. Confirm or deny please Augie.

@dancj -- take your FWIW and snark elsewhere please.

@dancj -- take your FWIW and snark elsewhere please.
    I'm not sure why you think I'm being snarky or what your objection is to "FWIW" - and I have no intention of going anywhere.

You're being very hostile in response to an opinion column - and the crux of your argument seems to be that other people have other opinions (which no-one ever denied) - and anyone calls you out on your misplaced hostility is either being snarky or trolling.

Erik Larson wrote a great column about colored reprints in his column years ago that I highly recommend everyone read. DocSpin, you likely would have hated it, as it was entitled "One Man's Opinion" but give it a shot.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=15407

I think it comes down to this, the reprint department and the colorists do the best job they can with what they have in order to present the art as accurately as possible to the original printing but certain concessions and sacrifices have to be made when translating old comics into modern day printings. No company intentionally puts out a shitty product to irk a fanbase on purpose, it's just the no-win situation that companies are in because they aren't going to please everyone. And if anyone doesn't like it, then the originals are still out there so go them down. My guess is that when the new collections hit the stands you'll find a lot more of them out on ebay.

Happy hunting! I'll be satisfied with a few HC's on my shelf.
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

I've gotta say that the whole recoloring issue here is interesting. Considering that the stuff that is being reprinted was originally Black and White in Warrior. Seems like most of the complaints about coloring come from the Eclipse books to this and not from the Black and White originals to this. I never saw the Warrior books...although the comic shop I go to has one for sale now....so I only saw the Eclipse books. I'd rather see the new coloring than the purple stuff that we saw in the first issue of the original reprint. If this book was/is going to be a top seller...maybe marvel could have done the goofy thing and released 3 versions of the issues...but to the point where Eclipse started original stuff. They could have done a black and white reprint for the people that want to see that....a direct reprint (or as direct as they can get) of the Eclipse books with the grape ape Miracleman....and a reprint with updated coloring.

[QUOTE=pmpknface;17957802]Erik Larson wrote a great column about colored reprints in his column years ago that I highly recommend everyone read. DocSpin, you likely would have hated it, as it was entitled "One Man's Opinion" but give it a shot.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=15407

Thanks for the link, pmpknface! I did like the article but I would probably take exception with Eric's remark that the sole basis for measuring the art would be the artist's original black and white art. I get where -- as an artist-- he's coming from: the original art is usually done in pen and ink. But I think someone like Laura Martin, who has won several awards for her work, would be pretty cheesed off at that comment. Her coloring has pretty much set the highest standard for me.

As readers, we rarely get to see the black and white elements of a comic by itself, and so we grade a story by ALL the elements (lettering, color, art, dialogue). As a result, coloring is actually a significant component of our enjoyment because it's included the first time we read a comic. If we originally saw everything in black and white, Eric's comments would be spot on. Oh, did I say something profound there?

I'm not opposed to updates -- but if I'd read something before (in color) and the recoloring takes me out of the story, then it totally doesn't work for me. I guess I'm a fan of those "subtle gradations" that Augie doesn't seem to care for.

Hi Augie - thanks for the shout out. It's always interesting - to me anyway - to see that stuff pop up periodically.

but if I'd read something before (in color) and the recoloring takes me out of the story, then it totally doesn't work for me. I guess I'm a fan of those "subtle gradations" that Augie doesn't seem to care for.
    No problem Doc. Glad you enjoyed it. I can understand having the coloring take you out of the story, I just think that this really doesn't do that for me and a lot of others likely because we haven't read it. And to that, that's why the originals are still out there to collect.

If you look at the Steranko SHIELD and the Neal Adams X-MEN tpb's from the 90's the colors are SOOOOOOOOOOOO bright that it's nothing even close to the originals. Computer coloring was still in it's infancy and they could really take over and take you out of a story. This is more complementary I think. Exactly the same, no. But more in line with "how they may have been colored if done today" kind of thing. And I'm ok with it.

Feel free to vote with your wallet on this one. I'm just looking forward to reading the damn thing!
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!