Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Spider-Man's Top 10 Writers of All Time Wield Power & Responsibility

Who are the greatest writers to guide Spider-Man's adventures? From the "Amazing" to "Spectacular" and "Ultimate," CBR breaks them down.

Full article here.

On the Dan Slott piece, they keep referring to Spectacular Spider-Man instead of Superior...

Dan slott should not be here.

And many of the stories credited to Slott were other members of the writing group (Joe Kelly, Mark Waid, Mark Guggenheim, etc.)

I feel like my dude Bendis is too low, but then I also get it looking at the others before him.

What is the point of these lists? Names don't change.
    Junk head. Amazing stop-motion animation. http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/junk-head-2--2

Scott Summers IS NOT a delusional egotist.

Wasn't Straczynski's run considered one of the best? A legit question, I haven't read his run so IDK

Great list overall. I was a bit surprised JMS wasn't on there, but maybe he would of been if the list was top 11 or top 15.

Quote Originally Posted by Sousa View Post
    Wasn't Straczynski's run considered one of the best? A legit question, I haven't read his run so IDK
    I guess he carries the cross of editorially mandated things that happened during his run like Peter's comming out as Spider-Man and Norman Osborn fathering the children of Gwen Stacey. Honestly, those two things are the first thing that come to mind when I think about his run. Only ones I'd have a problem with in this run are Paul Jenkins and Tom DeFalco (though I liked them both, especially DeFalco). Not names that come to mind when thinking about Spidey. I actually think PAD (Death of Jean DeWolfe) before I think of them. May not be a fan of Bendis, but there is no denying that he's earned his spot.

Peace

JMS should be here.
    i love the dc new 52.

Overall not a bad list. I would put Busiek a little higher. I for one am glad JMS did not make the list. I know he is defended by some (and to a point rightly so) as being mandated to do the coming out and the Sins Past storylines but before any of that he tried to change the whole Spiderman mythos by making his becoming spiderman pre-ordained rather than an accident. Remember all the "totemic" powers stuff? Also aside from perhaps Morlun, alot his villians were just second rate rip-offs of Doc Ock ,the Hulk and others.

Bendis shouldn't be on the list.

I really like his Ultimate Spider-Man (Peter and Miles) stuff but this is a list for Spider-Man, not alternate words. Bendis has only written 616 Spidey in Avengers.

"... the abysmal failure of the 'Clone Saga'..."
    Maybe creatively, but certainly not a commercial failure.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAcidSkull View Post
    Dan slott should not be here.
    I respect your opinion, but whether you like the path he took the character on or not, his "Superior" run is awesome.

Unlike some, I'd say Slott absolutely belongs on here and I'm shocked but pleasantly surprised to see Jenkins on here. That guy wrote some very human issues of PPSM and his feint with the Fusion/Ock storyline (I love that he introduced this new villain to basically just brutally job him to a classic villain, I still remember the internet outrage over Fusion controlling a whimpering Doc Ock only for him to swerve with the "JK, Ock's still hardcore).

I am shocked JMS didn't wind up on here, though. I tend to split his run in two in my mind. The second half was a complete disaster with garbage like Sins Past (And editorial mandate aside, his idea to have the twins be Peter's kids wasn't much better, the entire thing never should've seen print) and he tended to lose focus completely when JRjr left (I like Deodato, but that's the clear breaking point where the title went downhill).

That said, the first half was stellar. His Ock story was great and he had a better handle on the Peter/MJ dynnamic than damn near any other writer.

I will say it's a great disservice that Peter David's not on this list, though. The guy wrote some absolute gold with nary a miss in site.