Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Lazarus, #5

Greg Rucka and Michael Lark's "Lazarus" #5 provides a peek at Forever's early years, giving context to her current situation, and raises the stakes on just about everything.

Full review here.

This is currently one of my favorite titles. Liked this issue a lot, especially the flashback.

The cover art on this issue bugs me, even within the context of the story.

This excellent series deserves a bit more attention. I've just read 5 and have to say it keeps the high standard. One thing I have to agree with is the rather horrible cover. Don't know why why they did it, but it is nothing like the interior art.

Yeah it did look odd. While I dig Larks art, I can't say I was fond of that cover. It looks like weak computer animation. But the story and art inside are great. It's very plot heavy, but didn't feel overstuffed, nor was it a choppy read.

Rucka offers a sociopolitcal message in the sub-plot, which could run the risk of the piece becoming preachy. Thankfully the writer doesn't get too heavy handed with it. It's effectively handled.

My favorite sequences were at the begining with Forever as a little girl, and later with her at the banks of the river. I like how she handled that situation.
    PrettyDeadly/WonderWoman/FBP/Velvet/Revival/Lazarus/EastofWest/ManhattanProjects/Fatale/Alex+Ada/Rat Queens/Saga/Bandette/HighCrimes/Red Sonja/RachelRising/Ghost/Zero/Veil/Cap. Marvel/She Hulk/Magneto

Quote Originally Posted by Selinafan View Post
    Yeah it did look odd. While I dig Larks art, I can't say I was fond of that cover. It looks like weak computer animation.
    Agreed. Not a big deal, but if that was issue #1 it might have prevented me from giving the series a shot.

Found the scene with the father intriguing as it's clear from earlier issues that he thinks a great deal of Forever, compared with his other children. Looking forward to seeing that fleshed out.

You know, as I was reading this again the thought struck me that Forever and the woman she apologized to look like they could be related... almost like sisters.
    PrettyDeadly/WonderWoman/FBP/Velvet/Revival/Lazarus/EastofWest/ManhattanProjects/Fatale/Alex+Ada/Rat Queens/Saga/Bandette/HighCrimes/Red Sonja/RachelRising/Ghost/Zero/Veil/Cap. Marvel/She Hulk/Magneto

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

You know, as I was reading this again the thought struck me that Forever and the woman she apologized to look like they could be related... almost like sisters.
    I am not sure that this is the same Forever in the ongoing story. I think that this may be Forever's replacement for when she gets older. When you go to this scene in book, it does not state this this happened in the past. The book is very clear where you are going geographically. Why would it just jump to the past without explanation. The woman this forever is training with may be anotheor of the clones running around. It probably fits into mysterious message Forever gets saying this is not her family.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls, Ms. Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robbin View Post
    I am not sure that this is the same Forever in the ongoing story. I think that this may be Forever's replacement for when she gets older. When you go to this scene in book, it does not state this this happened in the past. The book is very clear where you are going geographically. Why would it just jump to the past without explanation. The woman this forever is training with may be anotheor of the clones running around. It probably fits into mysterious message Forever gets saying this is not her family.
    That, Sir, is a very interesting hypothesis. I think most of just assumed it was flashback, done without captions (which I've been seeing a lot of lately), but they idea of a new Forever being prepared to be LIFTED obviously makes a lot of sense given the context of the issue. Nice catch! Will be interesting to see if you're correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundh0g View Post
    Agreed. Not a big deal, but if that was issue #1 it might have prevented me from giving the series a shot.

Found the scene with the father intriguing as it's clear from earlier issues that he thinks a great deal of Forever, compared with his other children. Looking forward to seeing that fleshed out.
    If you read the teaser story that was included in a few Image books just prior to the release of Lazarus, it shows Malcolm Carlyle talking about his feeling towards Forever. He says that out of all of his children, she is the only one worth anything. At the same time, he clearly does not care for her as his actual daughter -- he says something to the effect of "One does not love a pet the same way one loves his or her own child".

Quote Originally Posted by DaronK View Post
    That, Sir, is a very interesting hypothesis. I think most of just assumed it was flashback, done without captions (which I've been seeing a lot of lately), but they idea of a new Forever being prepared to be LIFTED obviously makes a lot of sense given the context of the issue. Nice catch! Will be interesting to see if you're correct.
    These are two separate scenes. The first scene with Forever sparring against her instructor is clearly set in the past, while the scene at Stanford takes place in the present day. In the Stanford scene, Forever refers to the woman in the lab coat as "Cady". This is the same woman that was present in issue #1, in the scene where the old man volunteers himself for execution, and tells his daughter (Cady) to be quiet. The Stanford scene is clearly a follow-up to that incident.

Quote Originally Posted by randle-el View Post
    These are two separate scenes. The first scene with Forever sparring against her instructor is clearly set in the past, while the scene at Stanford takes place in the present day. In the Stanford scene, Forever refers to the woman in the lab coat as "Cady". This is the same woman that was present in issue #1, in the scene where the old man volunteers himself for execution, and tells his daughter (Cady) to be quiet. The Stanford scene is clearly a follow-up to that incident.
    I'm guessing Sir Robbin was talking about the training scene and not the Stanford scene, at least that's what I was assuming he meant, and what I was commenting on.

In other words I think we both knew the Stanford scene was the "current" Forever, apologizing for the action that took place in the last arc. However, Sir Robbin is theorizing that the training scene isn't in fact a flashback, and is instead a scene of the current Forever's replacement being trained - which I think is quite interesting. And based on how detailed Rucka is with his captions throughout this series, the complete lack of captions indicating that this is in fact a flashback leads me to think Sir Robbin may be on to something...

Between this book and Velvet, I am really digging Image. I'll have to give a few more titles a shot.
    Buy Green Arrow!!!!!

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Methalius View Post
    Between this book and Velvet, I am really digging Image. I'll have to give a few more titles a shot.
    You can't go wrong by trying whatever sounds interesting. It is crazy how many great Image books are out there right now.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls, Ms. Marvel

You can't go wrong by trying whatever sounds interesting. It is crazy how many great Image books are out there right now.
    Indeed. Besides the 2 already mentioned, I'm quite fond of Saga, Pretty Deadly, Fatale, and Sheltered. Tons of great Image books these days.

Quote Originally Posted by DaronK View Post
    I'm guessing Sir Robbin was talking about the training scene and not the Stanford scene, at least that's what I was assuming he meant, and what I was commenting on.

In other words I think we both knew the Stanford scene was the "current" Forever, apologizing for the action that took place in the last arc. However, Sir Robbin is theorizing that the training scene isn't in fact a flashback, and is instead a scene of the current Forever's replacement being trained - which I think is quite interesting. And based on how detailed Rucka is with his captions throughout this series, the complete lack of captions indicating that this is in fact a flashback leads me to think Sir Robbin may be on to something...
    Ok, I think I got confused because Brave Sir Robbin's post was quoting Selina Fan's which mentions the woman Forever was apologizing to -- clearly referencing the Stanford scene.

In any case, I think the idea of a multiplicity of Forevers waiting to be lifted when the previous edition is no longer functional is an interesting idea. I can imagine a scene where Forever discovers these duplicates and it causes her to question her role and value to the family.

But, I also think that Selina Fan's comment regarding the resemblance between Cady Rosales and Forever to be significant, if only because it makes me wonder if it was intentional. I remember reading the Court of Owls arc over in Batman, and people were complaining in the early issues about Greg Capullo's art, specifically that he drew Lincoln March to look too similar to Bruce Wayne. Of course, if you read the entire story you know that this was intended.

You raise some interesting questions, but I wager that on both accounts the posters are off. I can't see such a great similiarity between both women. And I also read the prologue that we see a young Forever. Anyway, as stated, it might be true. Let's wait and see.

About other Image books. I read Invincible, pure superhero madness, Saga, as a latecomer here and not a Y fan I must say it is a great book, Rocket Girl, Manifest Destiny, Satellite Sam, Jupiter's Legacy and TWD. Tried Black Science but didn't like it.