Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Alex + Ada, #2

In "Alex + Ada" #2 by Sarah Vaughn and Jonathan Luna, Alex finds out what Ada is like after his grandmother's unceremonious but kindhearted gift, and grapples with the question of whether he wants to keep her.

Full review here.

What a great issue! 5 stars for me!

I agree - I enjoyed it even more than the first issue.

I like stories that explore human (or in this case, android and human) interaction and relationships, and this excels in that regard. I love the little character beats, small actions that speak volumes (like Alex peaking through the blinds of his window). There's subtle humor (Alex's deadpan reaction when Ada mentions that she's programmed to cuddle). I also found it interesting that there's a stigma attached to having an android among his social circle. And seeing Alex wrestle with his conscience... even over someone who isn't flesh and blood.
    PrettyDeadly/WonderWoman/FBP/Velvet/Revival/Lazarus/EastofWest/ManhattanProjects/Fatale/Alex+Ada/Rat Queens/Saga/Bandette/HighCrimes/Red Sonja/RachelRising/Ghost/Zero/Veil/Cap. Marvel/She Hulk/Magneto

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

I read the review just because Jennifer Cheng wrote it. I have been thinking about getting this book but didn't because I am spending an embarassing amount of money on comics, most of it Image. But I got Lazarus for free from Comixology and that hooked me. So what's another. Jennifer's review is awsome of course so its back to Comixology. That's six more bucks a month. At least my wife doesn't seem to care. Either she is happy I am not spending it on booze or something else (pot is legal now in my state) or has gotten to the point where there is some disinterest and is happy my oddities don't upset the general peace of the home.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls, Ms. Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robbin View Post
    I read the review just because Jennifer Cheng wrote it. I have been thinking about getting this book but didn't because I am spending an embarassing amount of money on comics, most of it Image. But I got Lazarus for free from Comixology and that hooked me. So what's another. Jennifer's review is awsome of course so its back to Comixology. That's six more bucks a month. At least my wife doesn't seem to care. Either she is happy I am not spending it on booze or something else (pot is legal now in my state) or has gotten to the point where there is some disinterest and is happy my oddities don't upset the general peace of the home.
    Hi Brave Sir Robbin, I hope you like it once you pick it up. Image has been knocking it out of the park this year with new titles this year, I think. I also enjoyed seeing your comment on my Protocol Orphans review (I thought the recently released second issue was better, but had some of the same issues)! Thanks for reading!

Also, happy holidays!

living on the dolmantle eye of all's Avatar

My god are they setting the bar high for themselves. This may have been even better than #1.

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

I've read the two available issues and was surprised greatly by something. I am amazed how emotionally impactful this story is. The protagonist, Alex, is an American fictional type. He is a young male, a little disaffected, lonely, reminded of his loneliness by the happiness and ongoing lives of those around him. This is extremely well done in the party scene. He feels compelled to connect and cater to his grandmother and her calls. He can't get over a sad end of a relationship a few months ago. But against his better judgment, he keeps the android and can't help but feel connected to her a little. His awkward projection of his world onto her through his stumbling attempts at kindness and caring for her is great. I was really struck by all this and as a now not so young male who spent some of my twenties sort of lost and helpless, I was naturally drawn to his story. Little has happened in the two books but the emotional journey of Alex has been wonderful. I had no idea this book would be like this. I expected at least some kind of Blade Runner or boy meets his robot love. I have no idea where this is going. But it is amazing.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls, Ms. Marvel

government's watching you matt levin's Avatar
    western Massachusetts, USA; rural, river valley

Usually don't like to comment after only a couple of issues of a new title, but find I'm doing so more and more for Image's comics-- I'm enjoying this one a lot. Can see where some might find it "slow" (not anyone here, yet, certainly! but y'know, 'others') but that doesn't trouble me in the least. Art's clear, clean and easy to look at; dialogue's concise and speakable; situations close to real. Not too bad for a funny-book! & I'm enjoying this one a lot!
    Walking Man Comics

Age/Bronze-A.S.Westrn-AstroCity-Amelia-CourtneyC.-Brody'sGhost-DD-Dial H-Fables-Fatale-Fell-Goon-Groo-Hellboy-Mudman-NextWave-Rocketeer-StarDrop-Thief-Usagi-Wolff/Byrd-Unwritten

I just read both issues. Image is putting out another new series that I absolutely love! I'm excited for the next issue.
    Peter Parker is my lord and saviour.
    Show Teddy some love!
    "I want Apex to feast on Reptil like a pregnant khaleesi." - Sanji
    MY ART

Just finished Issue #3. Gets even better, but there's one big problem...

At the end of this issue, you realize that this series is heavily influenced by a very well done anime called Time of Eve (Eve No Jikan in Japanese). I sincerely hope that it does not follow along the same route, and is only reminiscent of the story. Time of Eve ended right when it started to get really good, so in a way, I'm hoping this comic takes those themes in the anime and pushes them to their limits, giving us a resolution that I felt was missing at the conclusion of Time of Eve.

The good news is, the art, the characterization, all of it is unique enough to where it doesn't feel like a complete rip off. There are enough unique sci-fi elements to really give it its own flavor. The art style is something all its own, and its pacing is great as mentioned above. Definitely one of the better comics I've read in quite some time. In some ways, one of the best.

:D