Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Seeley & Lucas Conclude "Talon" in March

DC Comics' March 2013 solicits confirm that "Talon" will end in March with an issue by Tim Seely and Jorge Lucas.

Full article here.

It seems like <20k/month is going to put a book on the chopping block. So why in the heck is Batwing still around? It's numbers are terrible. The book itself has slowly, then quickly descended into terrible. I don't get. Dark Knight and Talon both get canned, but Batwing is still being solicited? Keep in mind I loved the first 8 or so issues of Batwing. I dropped it many months back.

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

Nice another book I was going to cut is getting cut!
    "CBR. Complain, b**ch, and rant." - Greg Capullo

messageboard hyperbole is laughably bad, by a country mile. :rolls eyes:

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

This book started really well but for me when flying off the rails as things escalated. Killing then reanimating the hero was sort of cheap. It left him different and not the same character. Then the Court continued to pull the strings with torture and threats. I know that it he DC playbook but I hoped this could be a little different. The Talon had sort of adapted and protected a new family. It could have been redemption. It could have been heartwarming. Instead, the court maims the mom and brainwashes the child. So this book is headed for extinction. At least I won't miss it. My only solace is that there are so many great Image books that don't cater to the torture fetish market.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls, Ms. Marvel

Not really surprised. Talon's going to be showing up in Batman Eternal and Seeley/Tynion are both going to be a part of the project so this almost seems natural.

I read the title when it first started but after I while I just asked myself why I was pulling it anymore.

I enjoyed this book in the beginning, despite the fact that it was a little too similar to the plot of the Bourne movies, with the Court of Owls standing in for Project Treadstone. I thought Calvin Rose was a more interesting character as a normal man without powers. Resurrecting him into a standard Talon, complete with healing factor and weakness to cold, seemed like a cheap way to turn him into a cookie-cutter super-hero. There was also an over-reliance on the Bat-universe. I would have preferred to see the book develop its own cast of supporting characters and villains for a while longer before delving into the rest of the DC world.

Quote Originally Posted by PlanetOfTheApes View Post
    So why in the heck is Batwing still around?
    It is DC's only solo book that stars a minority character. They will probably keep it around until they can replace it with something.

Psst, DC - after two years, are you seeing a trend here?

I'm not at all surprised by this news and I really don't see Batwing lasting either. I imagine we'll be seeing that Batwing is also cancelled when solicts come out. If it's not I'll be mildly surprised.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

I'll say one thing. This is going to make me buy the remaining issues when I wasn't going to. Might as well collect the whole run.
    "CBR. Complain, b**ch, and rant." - Greg Capullo

messageboard hyperbole is laughably bad, by a country mile. :rolls eyes:

Sad to see Talon go

and also is weird that it was cancelled after just changing the creative team
    Check out the Comicfrontline
    The Self-destruction of New 52 FINAL PART
    Click here
    Check out Batwatchhttp://batwatch.net/

Well, snot. I'm going to miss this book. I rather liked Calvin.
    All cruel people describe themselves as paragons of frankness.-Tennessee Williams

I was all pumped when this book came out. Feels like a lifetime ago. I quickly lost interest and now try to avoid anything Tynion does.

But I was looking forward to seeing what Seeley was going to do. I like his writing and his art. Maybe I'll check out the last two issues, but it doesn't seem like there is any big reason to do so.

DC love cancellations.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Den View Post
    Well, snot. I'm going to miss this book. I rather liked Calvin.
    Yeah, me too. I think he'll be in Eternal though so there's that at least.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.